Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mo Farah

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Probably been done to death, but why do the Brits go so overboard about him ? He was born in Somalia and lives in Oregon. Same can be said about some of our cricket and rugby teams (judging by accents in interviews)..........the hysteria about awards gets on my **** , how about the equestrian team ........oh, not such spectacular sports !

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Probably been done to death, but why do the Brits go so overboard about him ? He was born in Somalia and lives in Oregon. Same can be said about some of our cricket and rugby teams (judging by accents in interviews)..........the hysteria about awards gets on my **** , how about the equestrian team ........oh, not such spectacular sports !

Nick Skelton's gold was one of my favourites and I don't even like horse jumping.

Must confess to not being too fussed about Mo Farah as I don't really consider him British, we are just a flag of convenience :shrug:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
You two will certainly rattle the politically correct brigade.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Mo Farah lives in the UK, he trains in Oregan. He came here when he was 8 years old.

Andy Murray spends half of his time abroad but lives in the UK. Sportsmen have to travel the world for their sport.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Mo Farah lives in the UK, he trains in Oregan. He came here when he was 8 years old.

Andy Murray spends half of his time abroad but lives in the UK. Sportsmen have to travel the world for their sport.

Didn't realise that about Farah, I take back my earlier comment, he can be considered British then :smile:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You don't consider him British why is that?

I thought he rocked up here much older than at eight, for some reason I thought he was in his twenties

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Must confess to not being too fussed about Mo Farah as I don't really consider him British, we are just a flag of convenience :shrug:
I don't think that's true. He came to Britain when he was 8 or 9, because his dad lived here. He wasn't a great athlete or anything. So this has been his home. He only lives in Oregon because of training.

EDIT - just seen your further replies.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't think that's true. He came to Britain when he was 8 or 9, because his dad lived here. He wasn't a great athlete or anything. So this has been his home. He only lives in Oregon because of training.

EDIT - just seen your edit.

I can't keep apologising all night :lolol:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Some migrants do come across ass anti-British, whether through expecting us to continually apologise for being involved (along with pretty much the rest of the world, actually) in the slave trade 200 years ago, or by apparently trying to convert Britain to be like their previous home rather than adapt to British customs and values.
Mo Farah isn't one of them.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
It's Somalian rather than British biology in terms of his athletic ability and that's where it falls down for me. Good luck to him, great guy but it never really feels like a British victory. That's biological fact, not racism/xenophobia.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's Somalian rather than British biology in terms of his athletic ability and that's where it falls down for me. Good luck to him, great guy but it never really feels like a British victory. That's biological fact, not racism/xenophobia.
Sounds like racism/xenophobia to me. Being British isn't about genetic biology :rolleyes:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There's no doubt East African descent helps with long distance running, but culturally he is British. He lives a British life (when training permits), his wife is middle England British, he feels British.

If you want to talk biology, maybe his race steered him into long distance running rather than swimming, I don't know. But it's not a reason to lessen his Britishness.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mo seems happy enough in his Britishness, that's good enough for me.
It's not like he's draping himself in 2 flags a la a good few boxers.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

That is exactly how i see it also. You worded it perfectly. No doubt you will still be classed as racist though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here