Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Surely Palace can't... 16/17

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
How I am deflecting from it? We are playing shit, I have said we are playing shit. How more direct can I be. I merely posted the fact that for a team that are doing it the 'right way'. Which seems to be having a rich sugar daddy whom is losing millions every year(How much was your wage bill for last season again). Its very easy to take the piss, but the premier league chews you up and spots you out eventually.
But I keep reading about how when you go up you will stay up etc for supporters of a team whom have historically been lower than us at almost every point, I suppose you have to get your laughs somehow.
Either way, championship football next season will see both of our teams decimated.

We've spent 44 seasons playing in the same division as eachother. So not quite "almost every point".

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
You're picking up on a few very select posters if you are suggesting that, assuming we get there, we all think we will stay up. I'd be the first to admit it would be an extremely difficult season.

And yes, the pressure is definitely on us as much as yourselves in regards to what the summer would bring if we were both left disappointed. Altough, in your case, a clearout might be just the thing you need to get the fans back on board. When I watch your team I find myself being absolutely disgusted. Now I know in an entirely petulant world I should normally be all smiles and enjoying this kind of thing with regards to your club, but seeing how your players just simply do not give a **** doesn't sit well with me, and typifies the modern game.

I can't sympathise for quite a number of reasons though, you spent a huge amount of money on mercenary types and gambled big time on Benteke who i've never been convinced by. If by some miracle BFS keeps you up this season with that lot, I would be hoping for a clearout regardless.

Those posters I'm referencing though are all on this thread or threads like these.
We have no team spirit, it seems to have evaporated under Pardew. Benteke certainly has goals in him but does not always get the delivery, then he seems to get frustrated and his concentration goes. Selling Jedinak was a mistake and why Hennessy is still in goal is beyond me. At least if we do come down it will be more exciting, unfortunately we seem to have sold the players who we could still have used in this league such as Gayle. Oh well, never a dull moment.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
So what were you posting a list about years in the top flight for?
We finished 3rd, we weren't even nearly in the top 3 spenders. I don't think any team can win promotion without losing money (or parachute payments), so yes you need a sugar daddy. And it's who, not whom.

Not from me you haven't. We don't even know if we'll get there, Huddersfield are looking very good right now and beat us easily a couple of weeks ago. And obviously any team that gets promoted will have to battle to avoid relegation.

I don't think we've ever been as low as you, and I don't imagine we ever will.

You lost 25 million last year, 25 million. Still as long as you are doing it the right way. We won promotion with not a very high wage bill at all.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Is that the old defunct Crystal Palace FC, only it can't be one of the newer versions, CPFC2000 or CPFC2010 as they have not been going 44 seasons.

Just once more for the hard of thinking, the business owning cpfc at the time went under. Not the club itself, have a read up and educate yourself as to why what you say is simply not true.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Beyond the rivalry as like a few on here I know quite a few Palace fans. Well I do live up here.

I've never understood Palace. That ground.

It's gone beyond "old school" into borderline condemned. These days it doesn't even grace league one.

Most clubs would have least attempted to renew a stand or two. Their time in the top league would have been the time to do it.

If they get relegated what do the owners do ? Wait for it to simply fall down ?

I know that's easy to say with out infrastructure - but Watford and Burnley are better.

Never got that.

Can't understand why they haven't gone ok - I've gonna use that Premier League money to improve the ground. If we go down well that will help bring back our fickle fans in the championship.

There appears to be absolutely no long term sustainable future, They obviously have the ability to bring through players - but will always struggle every year or so.

Its almost as if the place is designed to be a yo yo club.

Odd.

Last edited:

ArfurW8

May 22, 2009
Fort Neef
CG, when we went up under Dowie, on the day of promotion he said the most important thing is that promotion must leave a legacy for the club.
Sadly under Jordan there never was one.
Maybe if we get relegated there will be contingency plans for a new stand or ground improvements.
If this is not the case then it will just be the same old Palace and another case of a same old wasted opportunity.

Time will tell I suppose.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
CG, when we went up under Dowie, on the day of promotion he said the most important thing is that promotion must leave a legacy for the club.
Maybe if we get relegated there will be contingency plans for a new stand or ground improvements.
If this is not the case then it will just be the same old Palace and another case of a same old wasted opportunity.

I genuinely don't get it :) Shall we lend Tony Bloom to you for a season ?

.. to take Brighton from Withdean to Falmer is a far far greater feat that it would take Selhurst into an even half decent Championship standard.

That was done from League One... Palace have millions streaming in.

Millwall have a better ground, Brentford will have one soon. AFC Wimbledon may get one sooner than Palace.

Something just doesn't add up,

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Well that is in fact Palace's one hope if relegated. Sell Zaha, Benteke and Townsend, etc. raising enough money to spend £15 million on the team and also build a new stand. All is not lost really, if Parish keeps his head and doesn't go all in on investing in the team again at the expense of everything else.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

So where is the legacy under your current shambles? No point blaming a regime that hasn't been in charge for a decade or so, what have your current board done as a legacy? Higher wage bills, higher transfer bills, no ground improvement.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
So where is the legacy under your current shambles? No point blaming a regime that hasn't been in charge for a decade or so, what have your current board done as a legacy? Higher wage bills, higher transfer bills, no ground improvement.

I've always seen them as a club who were canny / lucky enough with player and manager recruitment to get into the top league, London club bigger than Millwall and (recently) Charlton. They should do well.

On that basis they should easily establish themselves in the top league. Arguably on that basis they could easily attract 40 thousand plus on a Saturday at home.

But they will never get there with that stadium. Where I have respect for them is that they are definitely over achieving, but realistically with proper leadership and investment they shouldn't even have to try.

Few yo-yo seasons and heads down in the championship. But no....

We'd rather pay top 5 wages.

If I was a Palace fan I'd be livid. Yes we are in debt but I can see where it's been spent and to me it looks like investment.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I've always seen them as a club who were canny / lucky enough with player and manager recruitment to get into the top league, London club bigger than Millwall and (recently) Charlton. They should do well.

On that basis they should easily establish themselves in the top league. Arguably on that basis they could easily attract 40 thousand plus on a Saturday at home.

But they will never get there with that stadium. Where I have respect for them is that they are definitely over achieving, but realistically with proper leadership and investment they wouldn't even have to try.

But they're like rabbits in headlights... shall we update the stadium? No... we need new players and higher wages... f'ck the fans.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
5 league wins in 47 games. It says a lot about the paucity of ability at the bottom of the Premier League that they are still in with a shout of avoiding relegation.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Like taking candy from a baby.

Screenshot_20170214-080028.png

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You lost 25 million last year, 25 million.
Isn't a chunk of that to do with writing off the cost of the new training facilities? Every year we stay within the FFP limits, unlike some of our rivals.
Still as long as you are doing it the right way.
By investing in infrastructure, sticking within FFP and spending less than our rivals is doing it the right way.
We won promotion with not a very high wage bill at all.
The competition has got even harder since then, and prices have gone up.

Oct 25, 2003
You lost 25 million last year, 25 million. Still as long as you are doing it the right way. We won promotion with not a very high wage bill at all.

most of that went on infrastructure so yes, we are doing it the right way- or at least trying to. We're frequently outbid for players by other championship teams (mostly those who benefit from the failure bonus (parachute payments)) so it's not like we're spending wild sums of money on players

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here