Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Surely Palace can't... 16/17

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'd imagine the most possible outcome is this:

1) Palace go down.
2) Big Sam is identified as the best person to take them back up.
3) Gets rid of old wood
4) Spends big with parachute payments and they win the league by Christmas.
5) Have a good first season back
6) Get above themselves and forsake ground improvements to "go big" and qualify for the Inter Toto (sponsored by Aldi) second hand UEFA Euro Super League
7) Although comfortably mid table, the Thornton Heath Ultras complain that they aren't playing the "Croydon Way"
8) Sack Big Sam and replace him with David Ginola off the back of one season managing a forgotten Albanian back water outfit who qualified for the Inter Toto (sponsored by Aldi) second hand UEFA Euro Super League playing "expansive football" albeit being knocked out in the qualifying rounds 5-9.
9) Find themselves in the relegation zone with a quarter of the season to go.
10) Sack Ginola.
11) Employ Dave Bassett.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
:lolol: is that the best you've got?

A bad result against the best u18 team in the country, after previously beating Spurs and Arsenal at the same age group. I'm not too worried by that.

As an aside how did your academy lads do against the 'Dog and Duck' down at 'Goals'? Or did they forget to book a pitch again?

Genuinely have no idea about our academy lads anymore. But I think that we have dibs on academy success so far, spending millions does not always equate to success. You only need to look at our first team at the moment to see that.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Genuinely have no idea about our academy lads anymore. But I think that we have dibs on academy success so far, spending millions does not always equate to success. You only need to look at our first team at the moment to see that.
Its a shame you let the academy go since you've hit the PL, it was probably the best thing about your club Clyne, Moses, Zaha, Routledge, Watson, Grabban etc

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
If Prince Charming plays it smart on relegation, he can raise enough money through player sales to overhaul his squad and still build a new stand as a legacy of all the PL money.

How smart is Charming, though ? ???
However smart he is (and judging by most decisions he's made in the last year or two I'd say "not very") he no longer has overall control of the club so it's not really up to him. Those faceless companies in Delaware now have the majority vote. What a shame.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Its a shame you let the academy go since you've hit the PL, it was probably the best thing about your club Clyne, Moses, Zaha, Routledge, Watson, Grabban etc

That is the joys of the premier league though, hardly any clubs bring through their own players anymore. They don't have time to mould players and give them experience.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
That is the joys of the premier league though, hardly any clubs bring through their own players anymore. They don't have time to mould players and give them experience.

The PL should insist on at least maybe 3 homegrown players in each matchday squad to encourage development but they haven't the balls

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
You've got to admire what Southampton do in that respect, they seem to remain competitive and still manage to blood a few of their youngsters (then flog them to Liverpool) every season.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
The PL should insist on at least maybe 3 homegrown players in each matchday squad to encourage development but they haven't the balls

That would be a great idea. Unfortunately the premier league is not about football or even competition, it's all about money.

You've got to admire what Southampton do in that respect, they seem to remain competitive and still manage to blood a few of their youngsters (then flog them to Liverpool) every season.

Southampton are pretty amazing considering they almost always lose their best players. Imagine the team they could have at the moment. I don't know why some teams bother with academies as they just buy all their players anyway, then again if you just have one or two big players come through then I suppose that pays for it. It has always amazed me that scouts are paid so poorly as they must be some of the most important people to a team. A good scout is literally worth multi millions to a team.
I think the only team who have added true success with their academy in recent memory is Man I, they didn't just flog their youngsters but actually won trophies with them.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
That would be a great idea. Unfortunately the premier league is not about football or even competition, it's all about money.

Southampton are pretty amazing considering they almost always lose their best players. Imagine the team they could have at the moment. I don't know why some teams bother with academies as they just buy all their players anyway, then again if you just have one or two big players come through then I suppose that pays for it. It has always amazed me that scouts are paid so poorly as they must be some of the most important people to a team. A good scout is literally worth multi millions to a team.
I think the only team who have added true success with their academy in recent memory is Man I, they didn't just flog their youngsters but actually won trophies with them.

Spurs are doing a good job too. Great stuff from Experimental 361.
2017-02-19-pl-age1.png

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I was slightly fed up to see you win but long way to go yet. I was however buoyed by the infrastructure you have in place and that great academy, so great in fact that you only lost to Chelsea 13-0.

I was buzzing all weekend about the fantastic win against a very good Barnsley side away from home and seemingly us getting ourselves a bit back on track... Then I saw the U18s result (the same u18s who were unbeaten in 9 before this game) and it ruined everything. Such a shite mood now. All those local Chelsea West London lads must have been really good. :(

This. My wife asked me about the U18s bad result and I explained that it was particularly hard to explain as Chelsea restrict themselves to signing players born within 5 miles of their training ground...

All you can really say is well done to Chelsea and their excellent coaching staff.

Palace have the best academy in the country, so it must be in the category above this lot?

:lolol: is that the best you've got?

A bad result against the best u18 team in the country, after previously beating Spurs and Arsenal at the same age group. I'm not too worried by that.

As an aside how did your academy lads do against the 'Dog and Duck' down at 'Goals'? Or did they forget to book a pitch again?

Lost to Bristol City, Bolton, Crewe, Colchester, Nottingham Forest and Charlton, it would seem.

Whilst their plucky U23s have lost to Ipswich, Watford, Charlton, Ipswich again, Cardiff, Millwall, Coventry, Huddersfield, Birmingham and QPR.

Another CP2010FC fan absolutely ruined and embarrassed on here :ffsparr: When WILL they learn? :ffsparr:

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
The final quote only makes me feel like we should push for it, 34 years for a joke of a team like Palace to have never been in a tier below is far too long, let a new age dawn.

They should be in the conference the amount of times they have cheated and gone into administration!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

I admire Everton for similar reasons - whilst the players they bring through might not be world beaters, there's a number of very good players they have blooded through their ranks into decent PL players - giving them a chance to prove they are good enough for the PL. I always hope we would follow a similar philosophy but I also realise it's not always possible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here