Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Newcastle match increasing in importance?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Let's get that 4th centre back in early this week and go into one of the toughest games of the season with all 11 players in their correct positions please.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Yesterday feels like a defeat after a poor performance but luckily we got a point from it. Hopefully we might see a new signing next week. I think our points total is down compared to this stage of the season last year.
We didn't beat any of the top 6 sides away from home last year and so the Newcastle game will be very tough.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
A point away at Reading is fine for me, we could just do with nicking some wins against 'top 6' sides home or away. We only beat Hull at home from the top 6 last season IIRC. 1 win from 10? Not really good enough.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
What a nonsensical thread to start [MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION] one will be accused of promoting "project fear" :lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A point away at Reading is fine for me, we could just do with nicking some wins against 'top 6' sides home or away. We only beat Hull at home from the top 6 last season IIRC. 1 win from 10? Not really good enough.

That's slightly misleading, when we beat Ipswich away, they were in the top 6.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
With a very average performance at Reading (reality check) and Stephens looking more likely to jump ship is our away day performance/result at pre season favourites Newcastle likely to significantly effect our ability to mount a serious sustained promotion challenge this season?

Worst case scenario - Stephens leaves, we perform poorly and loose at Geordieville in front of 50,000 plus vociferous fans causing Knocky to have doubts possibly triggering others (Dunk) to reconsider/look elsewhere or ....

We perform well - draw/win Stephens possibly plays/stays or even goes and we still strengthen.

Season already in the balance ...

:shrug:
what size huggies do you need.....xl , xxl or xxxl....i'll send you a couple of boxes.........if , but , cold pies , no tea , bruno at cb ....cut my head off for **** sake...!!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Its a must win game the whole season hangs on the Newcastle game! I can see the gaffer walking if we don't get the three points:moo:

I'd drive up there and give him a lift home..

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
4 league games with the same points earnt each game as last season; substituting Newcastle v Hull (both ended 3rd bottom in the Premier) a draw at Newcastle will match Hull result last year. 0-0 will be my score on the predictor (though I have yet to get a point right so far)

I was just thinking the same. Last season we beat Forest & Rotherham at home, with draws at Derby & Reading. Our goal difference is better so far. It was goal difference that stopped our promotion.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Yesterday feels like a defeat after a poor performance but luckily we got a point from it. Hopefully we might see a new signing next week. I think our points total is down compared to this stage of the season last year.
We didn't beat any of the top 6 sides away from home last year and so the Newcastle game will be very tough.

We are two points down on what we had after 4 games last season. We started with 3 wins and a draw, compared to 2 wins and 2 draws this season. Our goal difference is up though. We scored 5 and conceded 2 last season in our opening 4 games, compared to 8 and 2 in the opening 4 games this season.

If we take results against opponents and compare to last season we are in exactly the same place as we've matched results, but improved goal difference by 4 goals.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
After 4 or 5 games? I think it's widely recognized Newcastle will finish in the top 6, not just beating a team who had a good start.

You can only play what's in front of you at the time. We were unlucky to play Boro in December at the height of our injury crisis.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You can only play what's in front of you at the time. We were unlucky to play Boro in December at the height of our injury crisis.

Do we get extra points for playing during an injury crisis?

I'm fed up will all the piss poor excuses surrounding last season.
Granted I'm not as pissed off as I am by 'I'll take a point away to Reading'.

It's one thing being a simpering wet lettuce from last season, but to the repeat all the same excuses again, a couple of months later is unbelievable.

If the team want promotion they've got to stop throwing away 2 points, when winning, esp away from home.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Drop him off in Croydon if we don't win! TB can do one too,let him take his cash and plough it into Aussie swimming facilities! Its been a shambles so far:ffsparr:

If i do, if i leave the car stationary and let him out this could see me loose my wheels with car on bricks or just drive at speed and fling open the door.......

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

I agree, but I think it's very important for us to nick a few wins against the likes of Newcastle, Norwich, villa. They really are worth 6 points later on in the season. This match hasn't come at a good time either with the defensive crisis, think a point away would be excellent in this instance.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Do we get extra points for playing during an injury crisis?

I'm fed up will all the piss poor excuses surrounding last season.
Granted I'm not as pissed off as I am by 'I'll take a point away to Reading'.

It's one thing being a simpering wet lettuce from last season, but to the repeat all the same excuses again, a couple of months later is unbelievable.

If the team want promotion they've got to stop throwing away 2 points, when winning, esp away from home.

We need a better defence, or get defenders in that don't get injured for months on end. Excuses or reasons?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
To be honest, we haven't really got going at all yet.
Even the two home wins were stop start performances from us against two poor teams.

Yesterday was poor, but not really that much different to the other games this season.
If Stockdale had performed at his usual level we would have won and this thread would be about how we are going to batter Newcastle next week. IMO

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here