Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which unknown Support Act did you see who later went on to become famous

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Plenty of AFTERTIMING and bullshitting going on here. Anyway I WIN as I saw KAJAGOOGOO supporting FASHION at the Dome in November 1982 and afterwards LIMAHL sat on my LAP and we spoke about the FIRST things that came UP.

Thread FINNISH.

Errrr, how can you say you went to an event in the future, you massive BELL?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Was that the clash gig with suicide? A skin head got up and punched the lead singerpunish:

Yup, Suicide lasted about 1 and a half songs.

And then for some reason Jimmy Pursey came on with The Clash for the encore, singing White Riot.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Back in the 90's I saw Steve Coogan live - the in-between characters support act was Simon Pegg & Julia Davis - they were bloomin' funny.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I saw the Slits supporting the Buzzcocks at the Top Rank in 1978 and they are now viewed as playing an extremely significant role in breaking down barriers for women in music. I am not sure that I was really ready for their anarchic (maybe chaotic?) performance; I think I would appreciate it much more now. I briefly met Viv Albertine when she did a talk/Q&A where I work last month and she was charming but her talk showed how articulate she is and her robust views on things. Her autobiography is highly recommended.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
INXS supporting Midnight Oil.

I remember seeing INXS open a 4 band bill headlined by Queen at Wembley. They were relatively unknown in the uk at the time.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
Geez The Top Rank that brings back memories...didn't see that concert..but did go to watch Nazareth there

i saw that too , my white bycycle , Lol , also remember that I saw AC/DC , Ian Dury, Buzzcocks , Eddie and the hot rods at the same venue , and probably many more that cant quite remember , (at the mo )

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Bon Jovi supported Kiss at the Brighton Centre in 1984. I was there for the Kiss show, arrived late, missed the support, only to see Kiss were playing sans make up (Animalise tour).

patcham seagulls

Jul 9, 2003
patcham
Remember laughing, with several others, at a very broad Scottish accent of a support band at the top rank suite around 86.
After a number of songs though, 'the proclaimers' had won the crowd over.
They were supporting 'the housemartins' with Paul Heaton and of course a Norman cook (fat boy slim) on base.
in those days attitudes to underage drinking was a little more relaxed, and I remember every housemarin intro sounded like happy hour.

Later, around 90-93 saw cast support the lightening seeds at the Concorde.
Here you COULD see the band from the bar.
Cast were pretty decent, and was honoured to watch them in the company of Terry Hall, (he was 6-10 foot away) who sang Sense with the seeds later that evening.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bon Jovi supported Kiss at the Brighton Centre in 1984. I was there for the Kiss show, arrived late, missed the support, only to see Kiss were playing sans make up (Animalise tour).

Rock and metal threw up a lot of this. Not as big as Bon Jovi but heres a handful I saw all at Hammersmith Odeon:
Ratt supporting Ozzy
Anthrax supporting Metallica
Cheap Trick (during a lull in their career) supporting Motley Crue.
I also saw bands like Bon Jovi, Metallica and Guns and Roses way down the bill at Monsters of Rock.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I saw the Slits supporting the Buzzcocks at the Top Rank in 1978 and they are now viewed as playing an extremely significant role in breaking down barriers for women in music. I am not sure that I was really ready for their anarchic (maybe chaotic?) performance; I think I would appreciate it much more now. I briefly met Viv Albertine when she did a talk/Q&A where I work last month and she was charming but her talk showed how articulate she is and her robust views on things. Her autobiography is highly recommended.
The Slits vocalist, the late Ari Up, became John Lydon's step daughter when he married her mother.

April I think, my mum seems to have kept all this memorabilia from my youth so a ticket or flyer might still be knocking about in her flat somewhere, she certainly has a load my stuff from the Big Apple.
It was a sort of rock and blues club at the Toby Jug and I don't remember it as being packed that night. I think LZ were between US tours, where they'd gone down really well; there seemed to be some snottiness directed at them in the UK because of this at the time, maybe always tbh.
We went along as wind down after our O level mocks; the father of one of my schoolmates was a session musician who'd previously played with Jones and he drove us up there. The first album may have just been released; clearly remember them playing Communication Breakdown but the rest is beyond my short term memory, perhaps if I play that 1969 vinyl LP later today...............................[/QUOTE]

Just playing LZ1 for the third time today; wife in despair and now going out for the afternoon = result.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
the jam supporting little bob story .... late 70s somewhere in crawley, was totally smashed.
around the same time i went to a party at a catholic girls uni in london, the band playing were aswad. very surreal

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Wang Chung (semi famous) supporting the Human League at the Dome December 1981.

On a similar theme Jo Boxers supporting Madness at the Centre March 83.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here