Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do we really need another centre back?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
People saying our youngsters are sufficient back-up on the basis that Connor Goldson has done really well are way off the mark. Not a similar situation at all. Goldson had almost 100 league games under his belt and was Shrewsbury's Captain...

Madness. Just because Bruno's done brilliantly against a couple of pretty average to poor teams so far doesn't mean that's a solution either. If we bring in an international like Duffy, it's real competition at the heart of the defence - an absolutely key position.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Really? You want our academy's primary concern to be the league position of the U-18 and U-23 teams, rather than the development of individuals for the first team? I sincerely hope Tony Bloom doesn't share your view.
Well yes, sort of.

Finishing 2nd from bottom of the pile suggests there is still a lot of improvement to be done, although granted even a poor side might contain 1 star.

It doesn't look like they are ready for a team that wants to be top 2 in the championship.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
No. Enough depth there.

Happy with what we have across the board.

Strongest squad in league by country mile and what I love most is that there is no out and out superstar. All in together and all play there part.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Goldson is a couple of weeks away.
Uwe has been 'close' for about 6 months. Don't bank on his immediate return.
Hall and White untested.
Bruno doing great but we have no cover at either full back, if Bruno is in the middle. (We are actually missing Inigo Calderon right now).
Its a long season, and people WILL get injured and suspended.
There are no short term loans.

So yes, we 100% need another centre back.

This... and it's just so obvious...

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
People saying our youngsters are sufficient back-up on the basis that Connor Goldson has done really well are way off the mark. Not a similar situation at all. Goldson had almost 100 league games under his belt and was Shrewsbury's Captain...

Madness. Just because Bruno's done brilliantly against a couple of pretty average to poor teams so far doesn't mean that's a solution either. If we bring in an international like Duffy, it's real competition at the heart of the defence - an absolutely key position.

Yes we need someone experienced who can play the ball in the deck, step up when needed and won't break the bank. Shame Blackburn beat us to that Gordon Greer fella would have been a perfect backup

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
This... and it's just so obvious...

Well, obviously it isn't because there's been plenty of healthy debate on both sides of the discussion.

I could understand us bringing in someone who can play centre back and left back (Liam Ridgewell springs to mind) but failing that, I'd be fairly comfortable we can get through to January with the options in place.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We 100% require another, up to the mark, CB to have any chance of ending up top two

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We 100% require another, up to the mark, CB to have any chance of ending up top two

Not sure a top quality one is a major demand if we can keep what we have. We then need a competant one to step up to the mark if needed due to injury or suspension. As many have said an old experienced one now at Blackburn would have done but perhaps he wanted more wages than we were prepared to pay and he was not prepared to drop.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Not sure a top quality one is a major demand if we can keep what we have. We then need a competant one to step up to the mark if needed due to injury or suspension. As many have said an old experienced one now at Blackburn would have done but perhaps he wanted more wages than we were prepared to pay and he was not prepared to drop.

If GG is anything like I think he is, I suspect it was the opportunity to play regularly that was the clincher

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ince as a spare centre back is an interesting option.

It's certainly terrifying, I'll give you that!

In an ideal world, yes, we need another CB, and by all accounts the club are trying to get one. However, I feel strangely relaxed about the situation; I for one won't be crapping myself if the recruitment team don't find the man/men we need. White, Hall, Adegkugbe - maybe - just maybe - they might be the way ahead when our defence needs them.

If Ince was the fallback option, though - worrying times!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here