Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale faces fight to regain Albion No.1 shirt from Maenpaa [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
/ Andy Naylor, Chief sports reporter

David Stockdale could be fit for Albion’s bid to stretch their unbeaten start to the season at Reading on Saturday.
But he faces a fight for the gloves after deputy Niki Maenpaa*kept an impressive clean sheet against Rotherham last night.
Stockdale missed the game with a shin injury sustained in the closing stages of last Friday’s 3-0 home win over Nottingham Forest.
Hughton told The Argus: “We’re hopeful he will be available for Saturday. I thought Niki was excellent.
“When he had to make a save he did, he was dominant in his box.”
Asked if he now has a decision to make, Hughton said: “I hope so, because that’s how it should be.
“Anyone coming in and playing well should give me a decision to make.”
Maenpaa’s shut-out was Albion’s fourth in as many matches in the League and League Cup this season.
Hughton was delighted with the clean sheet and also praised the patience Albion showed on and off the pitch in the first half as they strove to take command.
He added: “I thought the crowd were excellent, particularly in this type of game where we had to be patient in that first half.
“Rotherham played a bit of a different formation and it gave them more strength defensively. We had to be patient to break them down and wait for our moment.”

[h=4]Promoted stories[/h]

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here