Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Drinking and hang overs

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
I'm 27. Jesus. 7 pints and I'm anyone's and my head is horrendous the next day.

I may try the lucozade stated earlier. Sometimes water helps. Other times. Does naff all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
my theory is that when younger we drink when partying or generally being active of an evening. getting older, we drink, get home go to bed having just consumed a large amount of carbohydrate that the body wants to burn off. so a restless night follows. cure for this is to not go to bed too early after a session, or some exercise. walk instead of a cab home for example.

I've stumbled home many a night eating as I walk. Doesn't help that I can just see my local from my bedroom window - maybe I should go 'out' more!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Moving away from Brighton helped. It is actually quite shocking how much of the social life in Brighton is based around pubs. I go back once in a while and I wonder how I used to do it. The pubs as well are always absolutely heaving, which puts me off slightly unless I'm really in the mood for a session. Every day seems to be a piss up! Great when you're in your twenties and no responsibilities but can get rather messy as you get on a bit.
Another thing I've noticed is mention to many Brighton residents about going for a drink somewhere other than Brighton and they look at you as if you have suggested a naked crawl to Glasgow.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Don't go for hangovers much these days, but back in the day I used to find that two or three ibuprofen tablets, taken before going to sleep invariably did the trick. No problems. It must be twenty/twenty five years since I last used this remedy on a regular basis; no ill effects at all (apart from encroaching old age!)

Jimmy Grimble

Know someone else who swears by Dioralyte.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I've got some kind of genetic luck built in that means I'm yet to have experienced a hangover ever. My dad was the same.

I can't put it down to anything though. I have for 90% of my drinking life, been a spirits man, as I simply don't like beer, but yet even when I've occasionally mixed drinks there has been no adverse effect - even after sessions when I've got through a whole bottle of Southern Comfort in a session.
I'm not bragging, it's just the way it's been - maybe my brain will give up on me in later years instead.

Some 'friends' tried to stitch me up on holiday in 1998 (I was 22) when they tried to basically kill me with booze in an attempt to get me hungover. I got so drunk they had to literally carry me home in the middle of the night.
Come 9am, I was up, showered, breakfasted and in the pool feeling fine, before they had all woken up (all with hangovers)
It's just luck - oh and I always make sure I eat before going to sleep

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I've got some kind of genetic luck built in that means I'm yet to have experienced a hangover ever. My dad was the same.

I can't put it down to anything though. I have for 90% of my drinking life, been a spirits man, as I simply don't like beer, but yet even when I've occasionally mixed drinks there has been no adverse effect - even after sessions when I've got through a whole bottle of Southern Comfort in a session.
I'm not bragging, it's just the way it's been - maybe my brain will give up on me in later years instead.

Some 'friends' tried to stitch me up on holiday in 1998 (I was 22) when they tried to basically kill me with booze in an attempt to get me hungover. I got so drunk they had to literally carry me home in the middle of the night.
Come 9am, I was up, showered, breakfasted and in the pool feeling fine, before they had all woken up (all with hangovers)

You do have hangovers. It would literally be impossible for you not to. It's biology. What you probably have is a constitution that enables you to ignore it and get on with your day. I imagine you start to feel fatigued in the late afternoon and early evening but don't attribute it to alcohol or are back on the sauce by then.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Dioralyte seems a good shout, will try it tomorrow as I'm drinking in London tomorrow

Your hangovers getting worse is just your body telling you not to drink. Like last night, had a plate of chilli at 4.30, 5 pints of 3.8% bitter with a pizza, chocolate milkshake on train back, plus water at home. STILL had a headache this morning! Five points of bitter was a quiet night at uni!

Well that was 25 years ago.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

You might find this short clip interesting

RFC_Bobby

Aug 2, 2016
Reading
I'm really lucky with hangovers in that I don't really get them.

The worst I get is a feeling of tiredness and a headache in the morning. That goes with some tablets, 2-3 cups of coffee and a decent breakfast. Bread helps the next day, specifically toast+sausages or eggs. After breakfast I'm fine and go to the gym, or shopping, or just watch TV.

No secrets really. I drink heavily when "properly drinking", having lager or real ale. I sometimes have wine but usually just with dinner but never touch cider or spirits, etc... I think I've built up quite a good ability to bounce back after drinking as a result. Probably not good in the long run, but at the age of 32 it's not too bad now.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

out of interest..... what happened to your dad?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
out of interest..... what happened to your dad?

He's in reasonable nick. Will be 69 next birthday... He was a heavy beer drinker though.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
You do have hangovers. It would literally be impossible for you not to. It's biology. What you probably have is a constitution that enables you to ignore it and get on with your day. I imagine you start to feel fatigued in the late afternoon and early evening but don't attribute it to alcohol or are back on the sauce by then.

I don't recognise any of the symptoms you suggest. And i rarely ever drink two days in a row.. In fact it's usually once a week at most these days and twice a week during my yoof.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Two tips as mentioned in previous posts on this subject.
1. Ask for a pint of water whilst ordering your round. Drink it whilst waiting for your beers to be poured.
2. Use rehydration powder salts when you get home. Cheap ones from super drug or boots do the job.

It's all about not getting dehydrated. That's what gives you the banging hangover headaches.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I tend to have one heavy wine night a week, usually Friday. Drinking water throughout the evening helps and I usually have a Berocca when I wake up but there is not surefire way to avoid paying the price. Haven't chundered or had the whirling pit for over 30 years though.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
So I've lived a fairly normal life. As a youngster I would go out with friends and enjoy myself and never really suffered with hangovers.

However now in my mid thirties I drink far less often but when I do I drink a moderate amount. I now suffer terrible hangovers.

Anyone got any advice on how to enjoy a drink without suffering hang overs?

Don't drink too much then you won't get hangovers. It's quite simple really!!!!!! There is nothing clever or grown-up in getting drunk. You just end up looking a complete ****.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have had hangovers fairly regularly off and on but these days I find I feel a lot worse drinking lager rather than beer. There are now virtually no lagers I can drink that don't make me feel like sh1t in the morning and I started drinking in the dark days of beer, about 1979. I was a Holsten drinker as the bitters were poor,insipid, luke warm and ubiquitous, I seemed to have no problems unless I went to 7 pints plus a night. Nowadays almost all lagers kill me but decent ales mitigate the damage.

Tonight I have picked up 4 pints of Rooster's The Accomplice, an IPA/Pale ale at 5.7%. I'm probably going to end up walking around the house in my pants throwing bottles out of my bedroom window at passing cars and fully expect to get Tasered by the Rozzers at some point, yet, a hangover is the least of my worries.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Same old story as the other 500 threads about this. If you pus***s can't handle the afters, drink lemonade.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
My issue isn't the hang overs which I cope with fine. Worse for me is the terrible sleep I have after moderate to excessive drinking. This is a fairly new phenomenon that's grown since my mid thirties. If I got to bed by midnight after drinking I wake up about 3am & can't sleep again until 6am, meaning I am knackered & drinking on a school night isn't advisable - any tips (other valis or mazzies etc)

Thanks

I found this for about 5 years in my late 30s until early 40's. Not so much waking up at 3am but being bang awake from about 5am after really crappy sleep and not able to get back to sleep. Ruined the next day. Happily this habit seems to have left me and i am back to being able to sleep it off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here