Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dalian Atkinson dies after police tasering...

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Sure I saw a clip on the news earlier, where an eye-witness said she saw a police officer kicking Atkinson on the floor after he had been tasered.

Yes you did.

BBC news, although they did say it was the only witness who'd stated this.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I was in Telford today, the town centre and park are brilliant.

I'm inTelford everyday - I work there.

I live about a mile from where this happened - Trench is a bit like the Bevendean of Brighton, we have worse places but many other districts are way more salubrious.

I'd heard he was threatening to kill his father so they needed to "disable" him pronto - unfortunately his body did not respond to the usual reaction of tasering. Whether that was the afters I couldn't comment.

Sad event and no mistake.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
No, I'm commenting on you saluting mourners for gathering at a funeral.

Okay, point taken, I just quoted what was in report :thumbsup:

Screenshot_2016-11-19-22-22-21.png

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It's okay, I take your word for it. There was a funeral and mourners were there. I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that there might also be mourners at Sharon Jones' funeral too,

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bloody hell.

Dalian Atkinson: Police officer charged with murdering footballer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50333081
Bloody hell indeed - there must be more to this than meets the eye, surely? I thought murder had to be intentional, and in the normal run of things I wonder how tasering someone can be seen as an intention to kill them. Oh well, we'll have to see what comes out in court.

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
Bloody hell indeed - there must be more to this than meets the eye, surely? I thought murder had to be intentional, and in the normal run of things I wonder how tasering someone can be seen as an intention to kill them. Oh well, we'll have to see what comes out in court.

An alternative charge of unlawful act manslaughter has also been put forward by the CPS for the officer charged with murder.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

The intent element has to be either an intent to kill or an intent to cause GBH. Sauce:CPS.

“ the crime of murder is committed, where a person:

Of sound mind and discretion (i.e. sane);
unlawfully kills (i.e. not self-defence or other justified killing);
any reasonable creature (human being);
in being (born alive and breathing through its own lungs - Rance v Mid-Downs Health Authority (1991) 1 All ER 801 and AG Ref No 3 of 1994 (1997) 3 All ER 936;
under the Queen's Peace (not in war-time);
with intent to kill or cause grievous bodily harm (GBH).”

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/homicide-murder-and-manslaughter

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The intent element has to be either an intent to kill or an intent to cause GBH. Sauce:CPS.

“ the crime of murder is committed, where a person:

Of sound mind and discretion (i.e. sane);
unlawfully kills (i.e. not self-defence or other justified killing);
any reasonable creature (human being);
in being (born alive and breathing through its own lungs - Rance v Mid-Downs Health Authority (1991) 1 All ER 801 and AG Ref No 3 of 1994 (1997) 3 All ER 936;
under the Queen's Peace (not in war-time);
with intent to kill or cause grievous bodily harm (GBH).”

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/homicide-murder-and-manslaughter
Fair enough - but if using a taser counts as 'intent to cause GBH' then they couldn't be used any more - like I said, there must be something more to this than meets the eye.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Fair enough - but if using a taser counts as 'intent to cause GBH' then they couldn't be used any more - like I said, there must be something more to this than meets the eye.

Unless he didn't need to use the taser and was only using it to 'inflict' grievous bodily harm?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Two West Mercia police officers are under criminal investigation over the death of the former Premier League footballer Dalian Atkinson, who died after he was Tasered three times by police.

The two officers were also being served with gross misconduct notices, the Independent Police Complaints Commission said on Thursday.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...kinson-taser-death?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Tweet

The investigation into murder/unlawful killing started within days of his death, so the criminal investigations were started pretty promptly.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The investigation into murder/unlawful killing started within days of his death, so the criminal investigations were started pretty promptly.

I don't doubt it. I'll still be interested to find out why it is being treated as murder - usually when people are tasered by police, it doesn't result in a murder or attempted murder charge. As I say, there must be more to this than meets the eye - certainly stuff which we don't know yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here