Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Catering

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
WSU - ran out of pies, ran out of Fosters. How can you run out of basic stock in the middle game of three games in eight days?

Have we got to wait until October when the students are back before we start to get decent service?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Write to the club then instead of moaning your miserable on here about not having enough time for a beer with your mate.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Like that'd change anything. We've been putting up with varying degrees of shit like this for 5 years now, and today was as bad as I've seen it. It's pretty clear now that it'll never change.

Write to the club ? Whats the point, all we'll get is another essay from Paul Barber telling us how difficult everything is.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Sorry, I thought this was the CATERING thread. I've raved about the performance elsewhere - I wasn't aware that the teams performance or the scoreline actually serves to eradicate the piss-poor service on offer in the WSU for several thousand people trying to buy a beer or a pie.

Do you need me to explain about the concept of separate issues ?

I would have thought you would lay off from grizzling on here for at least 24 hrs after a good win. Hey ho i was wrong.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Like that'd change anything. We've been putting up with varying degrees of shit like this for 5 years now, and today was as bad as I've seen it. It's pretty clear now that it'll never change.

Write to the club ? Whats the point, all we'll get is another essay from Paul Barber telling us how difficult everything is.
If it ain't gonna change then accept it for what it is. Getting a pint at half time means **** all compared to getting 3 points.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I would have thought you would lay off from grizzling on here for at least 24 hrs after a good win. Hey ho i was wrong.

So if you went watched an absolutely fantastic movie at the cinema, but found a turd in your popcorn, you wouldn't have a grizzle.

Hey ho.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If it ain't gonna change then accept it for what it is. Getting a pint at half time means **** all compared to getting 3 points.

At the risk of labouring the point, I wasn't trying to get a pint at half time (that would have been futile, obviously). I was trying to get a pint at ten to 7.

And yes, 3 points is the MAIN thing, obviously. But apparently its unreasonable to expect to be able to buy a drink unless you rock up almost an hour before kickoff.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
So if you went watched an absolutely fantastic movie at the cinema, but found a turd in your popcorn, you wouldn't have a grizzle.

Hey ho.
I always thought you had a pre match drink in Dicks bar unless i'm mixing you up with somebody else

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I do wonder how Sodexo pitched for the contract to the Albion. Did they really say "Oh, for the first few games every season we'll not be able to get the smart but cheap students in, so service will be absolutely appalling. But they'll come back around October and once they'll be semi-decent when they do."

Did the then club go "Ah, gotcha, makes sense. We'll palm off any complaints we get, using that as an excuse. Appreciate you flagging it up early doors."? Because that's how it comes across every time it is mentioned.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Hey ho.

not everyones cup of tea
but there is a club in Amsterdam which caters for this scenario

not sure if the turd is au naturel, salted, sweet or toffee coated though.......i doubt toppings are much of an issue anyway

just saying

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The club must be losing loads of revenue due to this. The queues were heaving in WSU when they stopped serving beer and most had been waiting 30mins. Barber trumpets about money and making more well he needs to address this if that is the case

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Have to say it was appalling tonight.

And why have they removed a couple of tills from the WSU kiosk at the north end, huge queues.

And why were several of the tills at the main counters in WSU also unstaffed and unused? Ok they might be using new and not fully-trained (why?) staff, but there's no excuse for not having enough of them to open all the tills. They must have a good enough idea from previous seasonsn what the demand will be; they must know that evening matches are likely to generate a higher demand for food, as well as drink.

The lack of planning and preparation is woeful. I was queuing in the sweltering heat that is WSU on summer evenings from about 7:15, got to the front to be told that they'd just stopped serving alcohol and had sold out of the pies we wanted - even if we'd got alcohol we'd have had to neck it down too fast to enjoy it or miss the start of the match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Write to the club then instead of moaning your miserable on here about not having enough time for a beer with your mate.

Why shouldn't he do both? It's perfectly reasonable to use a fans' forum to complain about the poor service offered to fans, in a thread clearly labelled to indicate that's what it's about. If you only want to read threads praising the club or talking about the match itself, you don't need to read this one.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Every time this comes up the club, externally at least, shrug their shoulders and suggest that's just the way catering works.

I suspect that probably IS how event catering works, when it's contracted-out, and awarded on a lowest price basis, with few if any penalty clauses built into the contract. Whether that's the only way to do it, is another question.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
The club must be losing loads of revenue due to this. The queues were heaving in WSU when they stopped serving beer and most had been waiting 30mins. Barber trumpets about money and making more well he needs to address this if that is the case

True, but unless the catering contract is written in such a way that the contractor (Sodexho) also loses revenue in cases like this (I have no idea, but suspect not), they have no real incentive to improve things

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings

Hey ho.

Now there is another thread in itself. The queues are just as long at the cinema and vastly overpriced food to go with it. So to avoid them, I collect my tickets from the machine and take my own food and drink in.
The problem is not going to be solved as they are trying to serve a lot of people in a short period of time

Bansko Seagull

Bansko Seagull
May 6, 2009
Worthing, West Sussex
Are there any plans to increase the provision around the concourse? It seemed a shame on such a nice evening to have to go to a bar inside to buy lager and wine as we could only find Harvey's outside.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
OVERCHARGED, AGAIN
EU Southern end kiosk and the till far right. Superstition is I always use this till and for the past four years it overcharges on meal deals. Forest game and yet again £9 deal is £9.30. As no one was behind me I thought I'd mention it and it was as though it was my fault. Lots of excuses about timed deals and first game and are you sure the pint, hot food and crisps are a deal before deciding I was right. See what happens Tuesday.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
OVERCHARGED, AGAIN
EU Southern end kiosk and the till far right. Superstition is I always use this till and for the past four years it overcharges on meal deals. Forest game and yet again £9 deal is £9.30. As no one was behind me I thought I'd mention it and it was as though it was my fault. Lots of excuses about timed deals and first game and are you sure the pint, hot food and crisps are a deal before deciding I was right. See what happens Tuesday.

Sad to see the demise of the Pie 'n' Pint deal. That's all I want: A pie. And a pint. And a bit of a deal. Don't want a bloody bar of chocolate or a packet of crisps.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Sounds to me like the club are trying to roll out the 1901 experience to the WSU, the North Stand and elsewhere around the ground.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here