Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Garden waste collections

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The one that's finished composting and the one you're taking compost out of ought to be one and the same, no....?
Yes that was one of the 3, but I guess I don't also need one that's in the process of composting, so it can be two - one I'm putting stuff into, and one that's either doing its thing, or I'm emptying it.

The green daleks you can get in garden centres ought to be big enough for the regular garden waste.
I have one of those, but I'm not putting the right mix of things in. Stirring it, as per the instructions you gave, is not really an option though.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Thanks.

So do I need 3 bins? One that's full and composting - one that's being filled up with my garden waste - and one that's finished composting and I'm taking compost out of? And I need a shredder (or two - one for garden waste, one for paper).
You try stopping her.

If you have long stems of old plants and you cannot be assed to cut them into smaller pieces, just run the mower over and job done.
I do, it halves the time and smells nice if it's old flowers.
Also I've drilled a few holes in lid of bins to aireate the gunk inside :)

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
So I shouldn't be emptying my lawn mower into a black bag and putting in the rubbish bin?

No! Grass cuttings are an excellent addition to a compost heap.

Edit: Oh dear. I have just sounded like a Sunday magazines's top tip. :down:

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Aug 23, 2011
The council are offering brown wheelie bins for your garden waste, at a cost of £52 for fortnightly collections. It's a really useful service, I'm surprised it's taken this long to introduce it, but it seems a bit expensive. The same service is £35 in the Horsham area, so why is it 50% more expensive here?

Its free in South cambs but in norfolk its £42.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Yes she's lovely, and after reading this thread I might try getting her to wee on it too :)

Dirty fantasies aside, women's wee is often considered too acidic for composts.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
£56 a year in Chichester, for fortnightly collections.
Reckon it is pretty good value for money and no more crudding up the car and using petrol getting to the tip.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
The council are offering brown wheelie bins for your garden waste, at a cost of £52 for fortnightly collections. It's a really useful service, I'm surprised it's taken this long to introduce it, but it seems a bit expensive. The same service is £35 in the Horsham area, so why is it 50% more expensive here?
I saw this advertised at Hove Tip (sorry, recycling centre). Agreed to share it with someone, went online to apply... only to find they don't offer this service in my part of Hove!!!

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I assume i'm missing something here,
Our grass/hedge cutting go in the normal green rubbish wheelie bin.
Whats the benefit of paying for the additional collection?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
It was free in the HDC district until a couple of years ago, when they introduced a fee of £30.00 a year for a fortnightly collection.

Increased to £35.00 this April.

Good value? Individually maybe, but IMO we pay more than enough Council Tax as it is.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
If you produce a lot of green waste, they're good value as a trip to the tip = time/fuel. I could probably fill two bins a week!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I've got two compost bins and although I started filling one while using the other, it got out of sync very quickly. Now I fill them both up during the summer with garden waste (including grass cuttings, leaves, old plants, and anything that isn't too twiggy), kitchen waste (not meat or cooked), shredded paper, brown cardboard etc, leave it rot down over winter and start digging it out and spreading it as top dressing in early spring onwards. If it gets too slimy and smelly, dig it out of the bin, remix it and refill - compost needs heat and air to rot down, so too much tightly packed grass cuttings with nothing else added can evolve into a slimy mush. This does need some space, some time and a lot of effort. Its also messy but will work if you leave it some more to mature.

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
Live in Polegate which comes under Wealden and consider the collection fantastic .
1 general waste wheelie , 2 recycle waste wheelies and a garden waste wheelie !!!
See the poor service my mother gets in telscombe cliffs and think it's a bargain for me.........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here