Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glen Murray - The fans

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
FFS Murray was invented by a Brighton fan in the 3-1 home defeat to Crystal Palace in your first season back in the Championship. It was your first league defeat at the Amex, iirc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NOuojD93Wo

So it was - was that FFS Parr that came from the video of the penalty shoot out then? Something definitely did.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Fair enough, I stand corrected. He WAS lazy though wasn't he?

(According to some!)

No in his final season with us at Withdean his work rate was as high as any of the team, in my opinion anyway and his movement from defence to attack was really excellent, I for one was devastated when he failed to sign a new contract and left and after watching his performance on Friday can only rue what we have missed, eg. probably the five best years of his career, just to satisfy the whim of Gus Poyet who wanted his own man/team rather than the excellent player we already had who for some reason didn't rate? We would be where that lot up the road are had he stayed and probably Poyet would be in a far better place himself. Shame, but welcome back Glenn.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
At Withdean pre Poyet he had a long a spell playing while not being fully fit . During this time his work rate understandably was below par .
Anybody else remember Tommy Frazer berating him against Leeds ?

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
And to think some of you muppets didn't want him...

Glenn is a wonderful player at Championship level. He'll probably never break 30 goals again, but he's still good for 20 if you can supply him even half as well as Yannick and Wilf did.
So who would you rather have up front Murray or Wickham?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Makes me even more SICK we let Murray go for NOTHING to SING Mackail Smith for MILLIONS, we would have been up in the 2012/13 season with Murray on the end of Vincente & co's crosses and the Poyet DYNASTY would still be in charge.

Nah Poyet wanted a bigger club than Albion are ever likely to be. I agree we would have gone up but he'd definitely be gone by now. The better we did the more he'd tout himself and I dare say, had he got us promoted, he'd quite possibly have got a top job, he craved, sooner or later. The Media loved him and he was very highly rated when he was here.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Yes, we do know you lost in a friendly/ training/ meaningless match prior to THAT game, so somehow it makes our victory less painfull to you.
But we both know the truth don't we ?

Yes Mr SE20, you are correct it was our first meaningful defeat at the Amex, prior to that we had found the Championship well within the the capability of our team and indeed for the first 60 minutes on "that" evening all was going to plan and we were not troubled, but as our team tired so yours became a bit more dominant and the result was a wake up call and then for Ffs to score on top of that so legends are made, ffs.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
At Withdean pre Poyet he had a long a spell playing while not being fully fit . During this time his work rate understandably was below par .

I do remember Tommy not someone you would want to mess with considering his connections

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yes Mr SE20, you are correct it was our first meaningful defeat at the Amex, prior to that we had found the Championship well within the the capability of our team and indeed for the first 60 minutes on "that" evening all was going to plan and we were not troubled, but as our team tired so yours became a bit more dominant and the result was a wake up call and then for Ffs to score on top of that so legends are made, ffs.
It wasn't our first meaningful defeat at the Amex.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
We'd never have noticed from you putting him down for the last fortnight

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Have I?

I said he was a good signing who'd do well for us? The only 'put down' (if you can call it that) is that I think Hemed will start in the target man role once we sign an established No. 10. That would relegate Murray to the bench,

Nothing for you to get your knickers in a twist about,

Mar 2, 2014

The atmosphere in the South Stand was toxic that day. The team was a mess, the squad was struggling and Micky Adams had lost control. Murray stopped chasing Delph, he wasn't fit enough and wouldn't have got there anywhere so Fraser gave him a shove, they had a row and someone pulled Fraser away. Murray played injured, and it badly showed. Fraser is a rubbish player who was never going anywhere, Glenn Murray is a top quality Championship striker we are lucky to have back in our team.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
He left us and joined Palace... He won't win everyone over immediately and I'm sure he knows that.

He knows that. In my book he's only ever acted like a true professional. It was just unfortunate it was Palace but they saw the opportunity and took it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He knows that. In my book he's only ever acted like a true professional. It was just unfortunate it was Palace but they saw the opportunity and took it.

Entirely Poyet's fault too IMO. I remember reading articles about Poyet laughing and joking about the possibility of him going to Palace whilst he was negotiating to try and stay.

Rating CMS as a better bet :rolleyes:

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
He left us and joined Palace... He won't win everyone over immediately and I'm sure he knows that.

Until the goals start flowing!!!!.....then it's uncanny how all is forgiven!!

Gutted when he left!...and chuffed when he came back right from the start!,,,,regardless of the Palace issue....its years ago, get over it, he's one of the best forwards we've had and he's back banging them in for us again!

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
On Tuesday night he had a good reception when warming up in front of the West Stand.

PS: He said this to Four Four Two this month about the likely reaction.
"Of course you're aware of the [Palace/Brighton] rivalry, but the majority of fans have been positive. It always helps if you start scoring goals, so if i do that then hopefully everyone will be on board. I have always had great respect for the club , you could see that when i didn't celebrate in scoring against Brighton for Palace...

On #FFSMurray
"I think it was pretty funny for both sets of fans. I saw the #FFSMurray hashtag, then it was going on t shirts. and finally someone showed me the video. That's the sort of thing you like to see. "

On delivery
My career has always benn about getting into the box and getting onto the end of crosses with a one touch finish, often with my head. We've got great delivery from wide areas in Knockeart, Jiri Skalak. Solly March will come back stronger from his injury and Kazenga Lua Lua has quality too. I'm really looking forward to a fruitful season."

On promotion
I want to score as many goals as possible. I'm here to help the guys get over that last hurdle. We want automatic promotion. We know it will be tough with the [strong teams coming down]. The mood is really positive and the boys aren't dwelling on last year. I've never played under him before but Hughton is a great manager. I've always had really tough games against his teams"

See Friday night.

We have lacked someone to stand in the middle of the goal and get tap ins since Leo left. With the quality we have going forward, we will score plenty of exciting goals. But it is the tap ins that will make the difference between promotion and not IMHO.

"Who's that man from Cum-bria.....

PG

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
The atmosphere in the South Stand was toxic that day. The team was a mess, the squad was struggling and Micky Adams had lost control. Murray stopped chasing Delph, he wasn't fit enough and wouldn't have got there anywhere so Fraser gave him a shove, they had a row and someone pulled Fraser away. Murray played injured, and it badly showed. Fraser is a rubbish player who was never going anywhere, Glenn Murray is a top quality Championship striker we are lucky to have back in our team.

That's my recollection. Murray had a persistent groin problem and could just about jog. I remember him failing miserably to track back a Leeds attack (thanks for the Delph reference, I forgot who the player was).

He wasn't it enough to be on the bench let alone starting but Micky was on borrowed time and was desperate. We were awful, we the fans were fed up, Murray with his homesick issues and injury was an easy scapegoat.

Gutted when we released him, absolutely delighted to see him back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here