Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T wheel lock nut problem (Merc).

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
Cheers for all your help, looks like I might need to find someone to drill it out. Cheers

I work for a bmw dealer. Bmws now have Mcguard lock nuts. They are a pain in the arse. Your only real chance is to drill it out. That's not easy as the metal they are made is difficult to drill through. Good luck

Dumseagull

Jun 13, 2012
Lancing
I deal in used cars, I get this 1-2 times a month, my mechanic just places a 17mm nut against the old locker, then fills the hole in the nut up with weld.

You can then undo the wheel nut using your new 17mm end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I work for a bmw dealer. Bmws now have Mcguard lock nuts. They are a pain in the arse. Your only real chance is to drill it out. That's not easy as the metal they are made is difficult to drill through. Good luck
Whilst at the same time VW/Audi group have said they'll no longer be putting locking wheel nuts on their cars.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Just an update:
As I explained earlier Mercedes wanted upwards of £80 for half an hours work just to remove three McGard wheel lock bolts ( that they had the key for anyway! and weren't even going to try to extract the damaged bolt ). So I explained to them that £80 is really is too much just to remove three bolts on the wheel! So they gave me the option to buy a new wheel lock key for £30 and £10 for a new bolts. I took this option so I could remove the three bolts that were undamaged. I then went to Cliffords to buy cobalt HSS drillbits, a wheel lock nut extractor, and a few cheap torx to bang into the bolt if the socket extractor didn't work. While I was explaining my situation, a top bloke behind the desk in the Cliffords told me to try a tyre place on the seafront. He said he had heard that they are good at getting these wheel lock nuts off, just make sure you bring your Reg document and ID. I went along to STS just down from the King Alfred leisure centre, and the guys in there had that broken McGard bolt out in 10 minutes!! Top lads too! They drilled the spinning collar off (even though it was recessed really far into the wheel), then used a reverse thread socket to turn the bugger out! All in all problem solved for £50 and I still keep my wheel lock bolts and key in the neat little box. Even though I've taken the lock nuts out and replaced them with normal bolts. So no messing around with these stupid wheel lock keys from now on.
Cheers for all the help especially [MENTION=21877]Chinman3000[/MENTION].:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Just an update:
As I explained earlier Mercedes wanted upwards of £80 for half an hours work just to remove three McGard wheel lock bolts ( that they had the key for anyway! and weren't even going to try to extract the damaged bolt ). So I explained to them that £80 is really is too much just to remove three bolts on the wheel! So they gave me the option to buy a new wheel lock key for £30 and £10 for a new bolts. I took this option so I could remove the three bolts that were undamaged. I then went to Cliffords to buy cobalt HSS drillbits, a wheel lock nut extractor, and a few cheap torx to bang into the bolt if the socket extractor didn't work. While I was explaining my situation, a top bloke behind the desk in the Cliffords told me to try a tyre place on the seafront. He said he had heard that they are good at getting these wheel lock nuts off, just make sure you bring your Reg document and ID. I went along to STS just down from the King Alfred leisure centre, and the guys in there had that broken McGard bolt out in 10 minutes!! Top lads too! They drilled the spinning collar off (even though it was recessed really far into the wheel), then used a reverse thread socket to turn the bugger out! All in all problem solved for £50 and I still keep my wheel lock bolts and key in the neat little box. Even though I've taken the lock nuts out and replaced them with normal bolts. So no messing around with these stupid wheel lock keys from now on.
Cheers for all the help especially [MENTION=21877]Chinman3000[/MENTION].:thumbsup:

Nice one! What the hell is a reverse thread socket?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here