Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If anyone knows Albion can recover from heartbreak, it's Derby boss Pearson [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Nigel Pearson has a good idea of what his opposite number in the technical area today has gone through this summer.
Three years ago, Derby’s new manager was in charge of a Leicester City side who suffered a heartbreaking finale to the season in the play-off semi-final at Watford.
They emerged stronger – so strong in fact, they won the divisional title a year later and progressed within two more seasons to be Premier League champions.
No one is expecting the same sort of rise for Albion after their narrow miss in the promotion race last season.*But Pearson is a great example of how such agony can be turned into triumph.
He believes Hughton could be in a strong position this season – if his players react the right way to going so close last time around.
Pearson said: “I like Chris, I like the way he works.*Just looking at some of the clips from their pre-season games they seem to have tweaked their style a little bit, they are pressing higher up. I would imagine Chris has thought of ways to maybe freshen up their own approach.
“I think it will be an interesting game. It is a tough game for both sides as an opening fixture.*Two good teams, sides with similar outcomes last season in the sense we have got close and were unable to get over the last hurdle, if you like.
“So I suppose you could argue that both clubs have similar problems to surmount in terms of preparation for the new season.
“We both have a healthy respect for each other and that is important.”
Derby lost 3-0 at home to Hull in the play-offs before scoring twice early in the second leg on Humberside to get the Tigers sweating.
But they eventually went down 3-2 on aggregate, leading to a summer of change.
That defeat was a crushing blow to a side who had looked like being a real danger in the play-offs.*But Albion’s disappointment was even more intense.
Pearson has an idea how they felt. His Leicester side of 2012-13 did not go close to automatic promotion but they suffered the most cruel play-off defeat when Anthony Knockaert had a potential tie-winning penalty saved at the death and Watford counter-attacked for Troy Denney to fire in the winner at the other end.
The Rams chief, appointed this summer in place of Darren Wassell, said: “One of the things Chris will be looking at in his group of players will be how they respond and react to that disappointment.
“If you have got a group of players who can then refocus and want to achieve because of what they have experienced, I think that is a good position to be in.
“I take nothing for granted, regardless of my experience in the game. You draw on good and bad experiences.”
5349561.jpg

Nigel Pearson and Leicester bounced back from this play-off heartbreak
Albion did not have to improve by too much to go up. Derby have a bit more to do so how will Pearson tweak things?
Article continues after...[h=3]More Articles[/h]

It looks like the 4-3-3 employed under Steve McClaren and Paul Clement has given way to a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1 which means a switch infield for winger Tom Ince.
The former Blackpool flyer has revealed how the new boss has got them sweating over the summer, notably while away on the Algarve.
Ince said: “It was so hot in Portugal. The gaffer decided we would train at about 6pm or 7pm when it would be slightly cooler. Was it cooler? Not a chance! There was no air.

“The day before we came back we did a 50-minute running session. It was tough but it was not just running for running’s sake.“You do it for your fitness and for team bonding. You encourage your team mates to get over the line because we are going to need everyone this season.
“The gaffer had me running about in pre-season which we haven’t really been used to over the last couple of years, and so the lads are feeling fit and strong.”
5349559.jpg

Pearson enjoyed some goood times at Leicester
Pearson inherits one of the stronger squads in the Championship.
Derby have proved over the last two or three seasons they can be destructive on their day. But the new boss knows what it takes to get sides out of the Championship.
He reckons grinding out results in very even games, as Albion did under Hughton last season, will be key.
“We know we are capable of playing attractive football,” he said after a hard-earned 2-0 win at Karlsruhe in the final friendly.
“That win was an example of showing different qualities.*We had to stick at it when we couldn’t get hold of the ball.
“We kept our shape, concentrated well and, in the second half, we were the better side and scored two good goals.
“The good sides are able to deal with what the game throws at you.
“I don’t want us to be a team that is seen as being good on its day and on other days something different.
“We have got to be effective throughout but that doesn’t happen overnight and can’t be achieved easily.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here