Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anthony's chance to knock Nigel on opening day of the season [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Anthony Knockaert has extra motivation when Albion launch the new season at Derby County tomorrow.
Not to impress admirers Newcastle but to put one over the manager who refused to give him a Premier League run.
The opening fixture brings together the dynamic French winger and Nigel Pearson, his manager for three years at Leicester.
Knockaert would like nothing better than to cause havoc to the Derby defence right under Pearson's nose down the right flank at the iPro Stadium.
It was Steve Walsh's heralded recruitment team at Pearson's Leicester that first spotted the jinking, energetic talents of Knockaert, who attracted a substantial bid from Newcastle last week which Albion flatly turned down.
Rejected by Lens as too small when he was a schoolboy, Knockaert was playing for Guingamp in Ligue 2 in France when he chose to spread his wings with the Foxes in the Championship rather than a move up the domestic ladder to Montpellier.
A promising debut campaign, in which he was named young player of the year, was infamously marred when he had a penalty saved in the last minute of the play-off semi-final and Watford went straight up the other end to score the winner.
4970114.jpg
Knockaert (above) put that behind him to be one of Pearson's star performers as Leicester lifted the title in 2013-14. Everything seemed set for him to shine in the Premier League but it did not work out that way.

He made only nine appearances and did not feature at all after January in Leicester's great escape from relegation.
Offered a four-year contract to stay in the East Midlands, Knockaert decided instead to join Belgian club Standard Liege on a Bosman free transfer.
The reason? He did not anticipate getting many chances again under Pearson.
Knockaert - and everyone else - did not expect Pearson to leave and Leicester to win the Premier League under his successor Claudio Ranieri.
There has never been any hint of jelaousy, just frustration that the manager now guiding Albion's first day hosts did not make more use of his creative energy.
Knockaert said: "I loved it there but I didn't deserve to be treated how I was in terms of playing games. I thought I deserved better. That is why I wanted to leave.
"At my age (24) it is important to be playing. To be honest, I thought it would still be him (Pearson in charge) and I thought he wouldn't give me my chance again.
"I had a very good relationship with the manager but it was hard. I think I was better than what I had. What I showed in Championship the year before should have meant more games to me.
"I thought I had the quality to play. But he didn't give me three games or four games (in succession) to show what I can show. Sometimes 15 minutes in a game, sometimes ten minutes."
Article continues after...[h=3]More Articles[/h]

Knockaert has exploded back onto the scene with Albion. His right-sided link with Bruno was a feature of last season's promotion push, which has also prompted rejected bids by Burnley for Dale Stephens and from Crystal Palace for Lewis Dunk.
Skipper Bruno told The Argus: "We knew after doing so well last season and some outstanding performances that clubs were going to come with big money to get some players.
"The club are doing really well. They've said we're not going to sell and that's the most important thing.
"The players don't have to think about other clubs, we've got agents for that. We need to be focussed on our job.
"He's (Knockaert) one of the best players we've got, of course. When he is sharp he is so important for us. I'm hoping he is going to have another great season."
Bruno will not be renewing his partnership with Knockaert at Derby. The experienced Spaniard will instead be alongisde Dunk as an emergency centre-half, with Connor Goldson's knee injury compounding the continuing long-term absence of Uwe Huenemeier groin.
Indifferent pre-season results, culminating in Sunday's 1-0 defeat against Lazio at the Amex, will count for nothing against County, who completed their warm-up programme in Germany with a 2-0 win against Karlsruher.
Bruno said: "It was a long pre-season. I think we are ready.
"We lost against a good (Lazio) side. We had good chances, periods when we were quite sharp, but now the proper competition starts.
"We know how tough it is to play against Derby, because they've got a really good squad and the expectations are so high. We are just focussed to give 100 per cent."
With a point to prove to the opposing manager for a dazzling little Frenchman.

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here