Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Games of the XXXI Olympiad

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Opening ceremony tomorrow evening and from what I've seen on Social Media it's going to be an absolute belter. Plenty of dancing girls, samba beat, carnival atmosphere and vibrant colours, should be a sight to behold.

:banana::vuvu::vuvu:
Any other highlights people are looking forward to?? Road race on Saturday should be good and an early chance for GB to strike gold and the swimming should be much improved from our disgusting showing in London.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Opening ceremony tomorrow evening and from what I've seen on Social Media it's going to be an absolute belter. Plenty of dancing girls, samba beat, carnival atmosphere and vibrant colours, should be a sight to behold.

:banana::vuvu::vuvu:
Any other highlights people are looking forward to?? Road race on Saturday should be good and an early chance for GB to strike gold and the swimming should be much improved from our disgusting showing in London.
Hate to say it as I am normally a fan, but really struggling to get motivated for the Olympics. Not because of drugs etc, just not interested right now with the footy season kicking off the same day..Hopefully a few early sparkling performances might spark some motivation, but struggling right now..

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Really not interested. They're all doped up to the eye-balls. May as well make all the drugs legal and see how fast chemistry can make us run.

"Doping now is everything that, firstly, is harmful to an athlete's health and, secondly, artificially augments his performance. If it's just the second case, for me that's not doping."
- Juan Antonio Samaranch, IOC President 1980-2001

With attitudes like this from the top, it's no wonder that doping has been so prevalent in the Olympics.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Really not interested. They're all doped up to the eye-balls. May as well make all the drugs legal and see how fast chemistry can make us run.

This.... apart from watching Bolt I really can't get excited about any of this now after the Russians have been systematically doping for 10 years and getting away with it.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The doping issues, the fact that it will not be as good and exciting as 4 years ago, the time difference, the football season starting..............Very little enthusiasm towards it from me.

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
This.... apart from watching Bolt I really can't get excited about any of this now after the Russians have been systematically doping for 10 years and getting away with it.
The Russians are the ones who got caught en mass, I think theres lots of suggestions of widespread doping and plenty close to home too.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Doping isn't new. The US have been at it big time for decades.

Is it 10 years? If so, all Russian medals from the last 10 years should be cancelled, and given to others.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Doping isn't new. The US have been at it big time for decades.

Is it 10 years? If so, all Russian medals from the last 10 years should be cancelled, and given to others.

I would assume that many are tainted, probably not all but plenty. As for the U.S., yes you are correct, the Balco scandal may have been the tip of the iceberg.

D Block blue

Feb 23, 2009
West Sussex la la la
The doping issues, the fact that it will not be as good and exciting as 4 years ago, THE TIME DIFFERENCE, the football season starting..............Very little enthusiasm towards it from me.

It's only 4 hours time difference, shouldn't be too bad. Agree to disagree other than it was a home Olympics, it is still the Olympic games which is usually a great spectacle where ever it is imho. May be once the games are underway you will endorse it. At the very least there will be some pretty decent looking Brazilian women on the beaches (hopefully), there should be an event just made up for them as viewing figures would go through the roof. Enjoy the viewing:)

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
It's only 4 hours time difference, shouldn't be too bad. Agree to disagree other than it was a home Olympics, it is still the Olympic games which is usually a great spectacle where ever it is imho. May be once the games are underway you will endorse it. At the very least there will be some pretty decent looking Brazilian women on the beaches (hopefully), there should be an event just made up for them as viewing figures would go through the roof. Enjoy the viewing:)

Yes, I know I probably will get into it once it starts.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Britain's Amber Hill in the shooting anyone?
3488428400000578-0-Amber_Hill_considers_herself_to_be_a_typically_girly_teenager_wi-a-11_1470171038685.jpg

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Quite sad but I'm also not as interested as I was for London, Beijing or even Athens come to think of it. I really enjoyed watching all the obscure sports and watching GB athletes competing, whether it was archery or swimming or gymnastics. But now everything just seems like an anticlimax from the success of London 2012. That and the scandals with doping and corruption, along with the football getting underway as well this weekend...I just can't bring up the same excitement as I did before.

Except the ladies' beach volleyball. I still have time for that. Oh yes.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Watched Honduras v Algeria in the Olympic football, an absolute crackerjack, better than any game in the Euros.

Currently enjoying Mo Farah documentary, looks like Barry Fudge has got him in tip top condition to bring home the bacon.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Watched the Germany v Zimbabwe ladies footy yesterday night - very entertaining game, Germany seemed pretty good, Zimbabwe were very poor. IIRC Germany had around 75% possession. Some decent skills on show at times...and a refreshing lack of play acting with any foul or potential foul...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I won't believe there is an Olympics on unless they reference it in Eastenders

Watched Honduras v Algeria in the Olympic football, an absolute crackerjack, better than any game in the Euros.

Currently enjoying Mo Farah documentary, looks like Barry Fudge has got him in tip top condition to bring home the bacon.

I see what you did there.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Well looking at the schedules for the 1st week most of the stuff worth watching starts at midnight including the opening ceremony

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here