Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

C'mon Tony let's not mess about we are desperate for another CB...

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
So would I, but he has gone and that's that.

But has he gone anywhere officially? I think there were rumours about Bolton but I can't find any confirmation.

Probably me being a bit soft, but I think losing both Greer and Calde takes a lot from the team (in the broader sense rather than the starting 11)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But has he gone anywhere officially? I think there were rumours about Bolton but I can't find any confirmation.

Probably me being a bit soft, but I think losing both Greer and Calde takes a lot from the team (in the broader sense rather than the starting 11)

He had a trial at Bolton but I believe he's gone back to Blackburn.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
What I've found out from a bit of investigation on this is that:

- Blackburn don't want to sell Duffy, as this will leave them with Greer and Wes Brown as the first choice CB's - with a couple of youngsters as well
- They do want Greer, but the Venky's have not yet sanctioned the deal - taking their time (as they do with all deals supposedly!)
- Talks are ongoing between Duffy and Blackburn for a better contract
- We (according to twitter - second bid) offered £3m for Duffy, apparently they did accept £3.75m from Celtic earlier in the window but for some reason it didn't happen.
- So IMO we offer £3.75m/£4m and we'll get permission to talk him. I would suggest he would be first choice alongside Dunk.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
What is the point of an acadamy if we are never going to give the younger players a chance we are only short of cover at the back once BFG and Golson are back the need for cover disappears, if we need to start with Bruno or Hall then it's not the end of the world, upfront we have two big lads fighting for one place with Baldock, Hambro possibly Scalack or even KLL able to fill in if needed alongside at the end of the day we have a very strong together squad assuming come the end of the transfer window if the players we have are still here we can be a top half team and come January we can then reassess

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Relying on Bruno at centre back against Derby will be a risky move. He looked very uncomfortable when he had to fill in at that position at Hillsborough in the play-offs and cost us the 2nd goal.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
What I've found out from a bit of investigation on this is that:

- Blackburn don't want to sell Duffy, as this will leave them with Greer and Wes Brown as the first choice CB's - with a couple of youngsters as well
- They do want Greer, but the Venky's have not yet sanctioned the deal - taking their time (as they do with all deals supposedly!)
- Talks are ongoing between Duffy and Blackburn for a better contract
- We (according to twitter - second bid) offered £3m for Duffy, apparently they did accept £3.75m from Celtic earlier in the window but for some reason it didn't happen.
- So IMO we offer £3.75m/£4m and we'll get permission to talk him. I would suggest he would be first choice alongside Dunk.

Goldson is comfortably our best prospect. Given the excellent job he did last year I'd see signing another first choice CB as an absolute waste of money. Bens grandad is spot on for a change - Haagaland would be perfect for what we need - which is a few weeks experience cover until Goldson is fit again.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I was quite surprised that neither Hambo or Harper made the bench yesterday. Seemed like a perfect opportunity to give one or both of them 20 minutes against quality opposition.

I honestly think that CH still sees Narper and Hambo as being some way short of the first team, hence no game time yesterday. Admittedly neither have played an awful iot of games for the dev squad yet either, with Hambo particularly, missing a large chunk of last season through injury.

Hopefully, if both push on, they will be knocking on the door of the first team sqjuad later in the season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Goldson is comfortably our best prospect. Given the excellent job he did last year I'd see signing another first choice CB as an absolute waste of money. Bens grandad is spot on for a change - Haagaland would be perfect for what we need - which is a few weeks experience cover until Goldson is fit again.

Hmm, we have no idea how long Goldson is out for, Hunemeier seems to be very crocked, Dunk will get sent off a couple of times at least and you don't want another first choice centre back? Madness and as I said earlier very cavalier for a team hoping to go for auto.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hmm, we have no idea how long Goldson is out for, Hunemeier seems to be very crocked, Dunk will get sent off a couple of times at least and you don't want another first choice centre back? Madness and as I said earlier very cavalier for a team hoping to go for auto.

In Dunk, Goldson and the BFG we have excellent CBs. What we need is viable cover. Haageland (or someone similar) would be fine.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
In Dunk, Goldson and the BFG we have excellent CBs. What we need is viable cover. Haageland (or someone similar) would be fine.

Similar to Greer would be great (in hindsight he shouldn't have been released and we wouldn't be worrying now). My one concern about picking up someone like Hangeland (or any free transfer, including Mariappa who would be my choice) is they won't have had a proper pre season. Ideally, we would pick up an experience centre back who has fallen out of favour at a Premier League club but has had a full pre season there.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

We'll have to agree to differ than, I think we need quality and IMO the BFG is too small, not that impressed on what I saw.

It's a long season and we need excellent back up not viable.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
That lad form Blackburn isn't worth 5m IMO.

I think we will go with what we have and try and get through to the end of Aug until we get the right 2 players.

We must of been trying to sign people but for whatever reason it hasn't happened, could be whole host of reasons.

Think we may get away with it providing no further injuries. Of course , any many more key players get injured then we'll look pretty silly and probably have to rush into a loan or 2.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here