Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pre-season Player Ratings Comments/Thoughts

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Just a few observations from the pre-season...... I know it about fitness, but its also about cohesion and for the youngsters playing, they probably see it as an opportunity to impress, and we may be calling on them.........

I didn't go to the Luton or Stevenage game......

Stockdale - Played well v Oxford, glad he is fit - 6
Maenppa - Difficult situation for him, has done okay, but we do miss Stocko - 6
Sanchez - Let in a howler v Fulham, handling dicey to say the least. Not sure he'll cut it ultimately - 5

Hunt - Although had a torrid time vs Fulham, he wasn't the only one and played well in the others. 6.5
Collar - Played very well against Oxford, but always thought he was a midfielder - 6
Rosenoir - Not a great pre-season, but an old head and is probably taking it easy. - 5.5
Bong - To be honest, has been awful in the games I've watched and slightly concerned - 5
Dunk - Has stood head and shoulders above others, but his old habits remain, chasing the ball and losing shape - 6.5
Bruno - Makeshift CB in most of the games - great job. 6.5
Hall - New signing, thought he'd make his mark a bit more. Think he'll benefit from the U23's. 5.5
White - Only saw him at Crawley and did okay. 6
Dallison - So disappointed he has gone out on loan. 6
Cadman - Wasn't pushed when he came on, but a little on the light side for a CB - 6

Stephens - Stroked the ball around, a few mistakes at Oxford and Lazio had the measure of him but okay - 6
Kayal - Good pre-season, leads by example and is class - 7
Ince - A bit in and out. Thought he did better today - 6
Sidwell - Similar to Rosenoir for me, just working himself into it. Would have benefitted from more games. 5.5
Molumby - A star in the making. Great on the ball. 6.5
Holla - Despite some on NSC stating he'd left, played okay in the match at Aldershot, still too slow though. 6.
Murphy - Another who was in and out, but that's the nature of him a little for me. 6
Knockaert - Moments of brilliance. Against Fulham switched off for 20 mins, when something didn't go his way. 6.5
KLL - What difference a year makes. Trying too hard, looks low on confidence. 5.5
Skalak - Again probably working himself into it and needs games. Touch and delivery a bit off. - 5.5
Tilley - Flattes to deceive a little and I wonder if a loan spell would do him good - 5.5

Hemed - Quite good in the games I've seen, has taken his goals well. - 7
Baldock - Where to start. I don't mind Baldock, but he hasn't done a lot, hopefully working himself into match fitness. 5.5
Murray - Exactly the same as the old Murray. Interested when he has the ball, languid and lifeless without. Good goal at Crawley, poor pen at Oxford, poor finishing today. 6
Manu - I don't rate Manu at all, but he has looked better than last season, but can't finish, isn't particularly quick and needs to leave. 6.

I know friendlies aren't for everyone and I've probably missed a number of players (particularly the ones at Luton and Stevenage), but interested to hear what others think.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Top post.

I'm really worried by this whole pre-season...

Whilst I'm glad the younger group has had some game time, they just don't seem up to even league 2 football let alone the rigours of the championship.

That aside some of the senior players seem down, full of injury niggles, lacking in sharpness and the group as a whole seems disjointed to me.

We've seen two actual senior squad 'purchases' and by senior I mean bus pass ready, and we've got 4-5 key and I mean KEY players who's heads and minds have been turned by bids/interest from 'bigger' clubs.

This feels like the Hyypia pre-season, something is simply not right I can feel it :/ and I think we'll be lucky to finish anywhere near the top 2.

Not looking forward to Derby at all - we're not fit, can't score against decent defenders, and as I say... Something's just not right.

We also seem stuck with certain players, represented by Manu and Holla whom should have been let go this year. Are we so badly off we can't mutually pay off these contracts? Manu is clearly a bad apple... Yet he lingers...

14th was and remains my prediction... Down to earth with a bang.

Kosh

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
There have been pluses and minuses. The good news is that we've managed to keep the spine of last years successful team and replaced a knackered Zamora with a slightly less knackered Murray. Not so good has been the injuries that have hit the centre back positions and the difficulty in recruiting a replacement for Greer another striker to complement what we've got and a bit of cover for the full backs. I've also been a little concerned by the lack of shape and goal scoring opportunities created in several of the games.

I think the first team will do really well if we can get them all fit but (bar the wingers and goalie) the replacements seem a couple of levels below.

So not bursting with confidence, but I think we'll be alright.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Top post.

Whilst I'm glad the younger group has had some game time, they just don't seem up to even league 2 football let alone the rigours of the championship.

That aside some of the senior players seem down, full of injury niggles, lacking in sharpness and the group as a whole seems disjointed to me.

We've seen two actual senior squad 'purchases' and by senior I mean bus pass ready, and we've got 4-5 key and I mean KEY players who's heads and minds have been turned by bids/interest from 'bigger' clubs.

This feels like the Hyypia pre-season, something is simply not right I can feel it :/ and I think we'll be lucky to finish anywhere near the top 2.

Not looking forward to Derby at all - we're not fit, can't score against decent defenders, and as I say... Something's just not right.

We also seem stuck with certain players, represented by Manu and Holla whom should have been let go this year. Are we so badly off we can't mutually pay off these contracts? Manu is clearly a bad apple... Yet he lingers...

Kosh

Bah humbug!

Wouldn't expect the players to be fully fired-up for pre-season friendlies. Just avoid injury and do enough to impress the boss to ensure a starting line-up place is what it's all about shirley? Save the full-on gung-ho stuff for when it matters.

The key players gave enough positive signs today IMHO for being well up for carrying on where they left off last season.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Bah humbug!

Wouldn't expect the players to be fully fired-up for pre-season friendlies. Just do enough to avoid injury and impress the boss enough to ensure a starting line-up place is what it's all about shirley? Save the full-on gung-ho stuff for when it matters.

The key players gave enough signs today of being well up for the battle to come, IMHO.

Fair enough Tom, I just can't shake of this feeling of impending (footballing) doom.

It feels like we've but up the barricades, and are set to emerge into a world where teams have moved on. Akin to coming out of a WW1 trench into some kind of futuristic dystopia with lasers, dry ice and TV companies running governments etc.

And cars that fly.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Fair enough Tom, I just can't shake of this feeling of impending (footballing) doom.

It feels like we've but up the barricades, and are set to emerge into a world where teams have moved on. Akin to coming out of a WW1 trench into some kind of futuristic dystopia with lasers, dry ice and TV companies running governments etc.

And cars that fly.

Cars that FLY?! Think you may have cracked it there [MENTION=494]Kosh[/MENTION] you crazy diamond! Cars that fly could well do a job in this post-SASTA Amex era :thumbsup:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I mean Wolves spunking 18m on a striker FFS, what chance have we against such reckless spending?

Hey it's okay, we've got Murray and Baldock.

Yeah; top 2 here we come.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Cars that FLY?! Think you may have cracked it there [MENTION=494]Kosh[/MENTION] you crazy diamond! Cars that fly could well do a job in this post-SASTA Amex era :thumbsup:

I bet Wolves are offering flying cars to potential new signings. Christ what have we got? A communal BMX, ha I think I saw a Muddy Fox outside the Amex today... That ****er's got 24 gears, yeah Wolves put that in yer flying pipes and smoke it!

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
I mean Wolves spunking 18m on a striker FFS, what chance have we against such reckless spending?

Hey it's okay, we've got Murray and Baldock.

Yeah; top 2 here we come.

Won't happen.

Edit, can't copy and paste links.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Worrying you say Bong's looked crap. He was dire in pretty much every game he played after the injury. I hoped it was just lack of sharpness back then.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Worrying you say Bong's looked crap. He was dire in pretty much every game he played after the injury. I hoped it was just lack of sharpness back then.

Just not at the races for me, poor in possession particularly. I guess he did set himself very high standards to start with last year.

I'm sure he'll improve.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Top post.

Kosh

I would add last years pre season was just as bad. We hardly set the world of fire but went 21 games unbeaten. To judge a group of players on friendlies is daft. 10 games in is the best place to judge how this group will do this year especially with a month of the transfer window open. I think the league is slightly better but nothing I've seen in terms of signings from all the other clubs makes me think we will be 11 places lower

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I would add last years pre season was just as bad. We hardly set the world of fire but went 21 games unbeaten. To judge a group of players on friendlies is daft. 10 games in is the best place to judge how this group will do this year especially with a month of the transfer window open. I think the league is slightly better but nothing I've seen in terms of signings from all the other clubs makes me think we will be 11 places lower

Weren't we undefeated last year?

We beat Seville, Lewes, Crawley, Gillingham can't remember the other game.

The year before under Hyypia was poor.

RohanInceEnthusiast

Nov 26, 2015
Really starting to get fed up with Sam Baldock. Runs around a lot but what else does he actually do? Has failed to impress in ALL pre-season games too.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

And cars that fly.

What do you mean you can't shake off the impending doom ? You couldn't if you tried You are just a miserable b a r s t a r d

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Bong has looked shit ever since he came back from that nasty injury. Was hoping a good pre season would do him the world of good. Not looking like it yet.

Stumpy Tim

I never do pre season friendlies, but took the boy to the game today. Reminded me why I don't bother. Apart from the first 20 minutes it was pedestrian at best. For what it's worth, I thought Ince didn't do himself any harm at all and both Bruno & Dunk were excellent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here