Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion knock back Newcastle bid for winger

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We've already lost Zamora and Calde from last season. Surely we can't lose the little magician as well :nono:

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I think we have to trust in the management for this one. Hopefully they do what's best for this team.

Keeping Knocky is clearly the prefered option, but if someone offers silly money (like 17/18 million) I'd find it very difficult to turn it away.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
£15m would do it for me, but I hope Rafa doesn't rate him that highly.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Christ, what a depressing lead in week to the season. Hopefully we will bat all these offers away and get a striker in as well as a defender. Bloody tall order I reckon.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Think how we all laughed when Sir Alex paid £10m for Zaha.

He was allowed to stay the season with Palace though and help them get promoted. VERY different situation should we lose anyone.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Why would Benitez sell Townend for £7m then pay £10m for Knockhaert just doesnt follow

Townsend wanted out? Same reason we'll have to let Knocky go if he wants to go. It's a toughie.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
To sell him to another championship club would be madness of gargantuan proportions unless the fee is around 185 million

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Would take £15m plus add-ons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only way Tony B will ever, EVER, get the chance to recoup his quarter of a billion pound investment in BHA is reaching the Premier League. Why would he take £15m for a bloke who is contracted to the club and could be the key to reaching the Premier League? Same goes for Dunk, Kayal, Stephens etc.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The only way Tony B will ever, EVER, get the chance to recoup his quarter of a billion pound investment in BHA is reaching the Premier League. Why would he take £15m for a bloke who is contracted to the club and could be the key to reaching the Premier League? Same goes for Dunk, Kayal, Stephens etc.

Realistically every player has a price, that applies not only to us but everyone in UK football.

I think we are naive if we believe that Knockaert won't be sold if a 'figure' is met.

I re all us doing pretty well prior to him signing, so whether he is the 'key' is debatable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Alternatively why hold onto players that weren't good enough last season and have a conservative value of £30+m?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Absolutely agree with you. But our chairman just happens to be one of the world's leading players in betting analytics. If anyone knows what the realistic price for our top players is it will be him. The odds of reaching the PL without Knocky, DS, BK and Dunk lengthen considerably if they leave. He knows what the prize is. The number has to be massive to let them go at this time.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Absolutely agree with you. But our chairman just happens to be one of the world's leading players in betting analytics. If anyone knows what the realistic price for our top players is it will be him. The odds of reaching the PL without Knocky, DS, BK and Dunk lengthen considerably if they leave. He knows what the prize is. The number has to be massive to let them go at this time.

But we don't know if another bargain midfield maestro has been sounded out.

Also, Knocky really wasn't great away from home last season.

I think both Kayal and Stephens are more important to the team.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Think how we all laughed when Sir Alex paid £10m for Zaha.

United paid £12m up front for Zaha, with £3m in addons. This was confirmed by Ian Holloway (who was manager at the time) at the end of year awards ceremony.
With the amount of money in the PL these days, a £15m deal in 2012 could easily be worth £25m now. Just look at Jordan Ibe who has gone for £15m to Bournemouth despite not looking half the player Wilf is.

Why would Benitez sell Townend for £7m then pay £10m for Knockhaert just doesnt follow

Townsend was sold to Palace when we activated his release clause of £13m.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here