Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion knock back Newcastle bid for winger

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
They are arguably the best fans in the country, mental to suggest other wise.

You say 'arguably' then in the same sentence say it's mental to disagree?

I disagree with the very notion of 'best fans', it sounds like some sky sports bollocks.

I'm sure their 'dark times' blitzing the championship with 178 points was really tough for them.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I have been to a lot of games at St James Park and spent a lot of time on Tyneside. Yes the fans are passionate but also cynical. British football fans are passionate generally from Leicester to Dundee to Plymouth to Grimsby to Charlton to Preston. The media have built something of a mythology about Newcastle IMHO.

I've never been to St James Park, so you are in a better position than me. But for them to average 50k+ and filling the place every week, despite never being in within a sniff of winning anything, thats really not too shabby. And yes I appreciate their crowds dwindled and dipped massively in the 80's/90's pre-Keegan (as did most others for various reasons), but they've still turned up in their numbers season after season for a number of years now. I know that PASSHUN is a tedious cliché spouted about any number of clubs, but Newcastle is one club that can truly have a claim to it IMO.

I just wish I was going next month, its one of my bucket list awaydays, but timing and circumstances have overtaken.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I have indeed. They lost 1-0 to the Albion when Mark GALL scored the winner, and their sense of entitlement was spectacular. When Pardew was manager there they couldn't wait to get rid of him because he was a Cock-er-nee, and since then, sadly as I'm sure we all agree, he's done a decent job at Palace and the Toon have been relegated.

I'm sure it was just as much entitlement frustration as when Bryan Wade knocked 4 in against them!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I have indeed. They lost 1-0 to the Albion when Mark GALL scored the winner, and their sense of entitlement was spectacular.

King Kev had just arrived, might even have been his first home game.
And we were resplendent in our pink NOBO that day. :lolol:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
King Kev had just arrived, might even have been his first home game.
And we were resplendent in our pink NOBO that day. :lolol:

King Kev threw a tantrum at the end of the game and claimed he would quit if the board didn't give him any money. The board capitulated.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
King Kev threw a tantrum at the end of the game and claimed he would quit if the board didn't give him any money. The board capitulated.

King Kev has been their only decent manager in recent times IMO. The football his 'I will love it' team played was spell-binding......

But re their fans, I don't think they are any special than anyone else's. I went to a Tyne/Wear derby and atmosphere wise, it wasn't any greater than some of our games.

As for 'deserving' success, perhaps they aren't that bigger team given when their last success actually was, see Sheff Weds, Huddersfield, Preston..... Just a club with history.......

Stumpy Tim

King Kev has been their only decent manager in recent times IMO. The football his 'I will love it' team played was spell-binding......

But re their fans, I don't think they are any special than anyone else's. I went to a Tyne/Wear derby and atmosphere wise, it wasn't any greater than some of our games.

As for 'deserving' success, perhaps they aren't that bigger team given when their last success actually was, see Sheff Weds, Huddersfield, Preston..... Just a club with history.......

Bobby Robson was decent

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Newcastle may have a lot of fans but they are probably the worst in the country for turning on their own team and manager. They seem to think they are entitled to success despite the fact they haven't won anything for about 60 years. We haven't sold a top player to a Championship team since the Amex opened so hopefully that will continue this window.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Newcastle may have a lot of fans but they are probably the worst in the country for turning on their own team and manager. They seem to think they are entitled to success despite the fact they haven't won anything for about 60 years. We haven't sold a top player to a Championship team since the Amex opened so hopefully that will continue this window.

The media suggests that we would sell him for £10M - I sincerely hope not.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
10 mil is laughable. This is a team with parachute payments, who have sold someone for 25 mil and looking to sell another for 35.

Hold tight for 20mil and the absolute minimum.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
No where near enough, one of the best players in the division, and despite only being here 6 months one of the best I've seen play for the Albion in 35 years. Potential to become an Albion great.

So that's the point put very eloquently, so hopefully the 'board' will not surrender to the dollar sign.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I will be genuinely concerned about our ambitions if we let him go for £10m, especially to another team looking to occupy one of those top two spots.

We should be saying "Absolutely not for sale, look elsewhere"

Which is exaclty what we have said.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here