Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you excited about the new season?

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
Yes of course. Excited, and a bit nervous. Most important season in a long time for the club. We all know we need promotion sooner rather than later, and we have as good a platform as anyone to work from to get it this time. Certainly not going to get dull for Albion any time soon.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Yes.

But still a little bit more concerned about the strength in depth (and in defence) of our squad than I'm allowed to be by some on here!

This was our biggest problem last season and ultimately was key to our failure to secure promotion and, so far, we have not addressed the issue.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Just over a week to go until the start of the season and we're still short of that elusive striker so am a bit apprehensive. I've no doubt the club are looking hard but I'll never understand why we seem to have more difficulty in recruiting strikers than most other Championship sides.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I'd be more excited if we'd sign a couple of players earlier in the window. And not do the usual last minute (try to get a bargain) deal. So any new players don't gel in, until September. Hence losing us early points. I'd really like us to have had the full compliment in place to face Derby. Early season points are just as valuable as run in points!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'd be more excited if we'd sign a couple of players earlier in the window. And not do the usual last minute (try to get a bargain) deal. So any new players don't gel in, until September. Hence losing us early points. I'd really like us to have had the full compliment in place to face Derby. Early season points are just as valuable as run in points!

Last season we signed a couple of players in the third week of August (Goldson being one of them) Chris Hughton won Manager of the Month along with LuaLua as Player of the month.
We won 4 and drew 1. I'm not including the League Cup games in that.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
good question as each week things were different as we got new players in or lost players to injury. At this point in time we are weaker in CB and Forward positions. We really need an additional striker and we need a CB. I would also like to get another midfielder in who is as good as Kayal/Stephens in case they pick up injuries/bookings /or loss of form.

at the end of the day we did not get promoted last season , this year the league looks potentially harder ergo we need to be even stronger than we were last year and IMO we are not as strong.

You're wrong about forwards. Throughout last season, we NEVER had more than three forwards available for us, and it was often less than that. Murray now will also offer us more than BZ was ever going to do last season. So we're stronger there.
Note that Goldson and Hunemeier weren't with us when the season started either, and we played much of last season with only two fit and/or available centre backs.

mxs_harrow

Jan 20, 2009
HA5
No, not really. The likelihood of it living up to last seasons epic journey is remote and a lacklustre campaign will bring out all the usual moans and criticism.

Hopefully a good performance at Derby with a good vocal backing will rekindle the fire.

Apart from the likes of Newcastle, Norwich and Aston Villa, the following teams could be strong challengers

Derby ( because of the Nigel Pearson factor)

Fulham ( proven manager with full pre-season plus recruitment)

Leeds ( new non-joke manager plus recruitment)

Sheffield Wednesday ( further recruitment on top of a strong squad)

Bristol City ( stronger squad, Lee Johnson good manager with full pre-season)

QPR ( squad consolidation)

Wigan ( promoted and have Will Griggs and Nick Powell)

Blackburn could do OK or be another Owen Coyle epic failure - see Wigan, Bolton.

Wolves and Forest seasons depend on recruitment driven by new owners.

Jap Stam at Reading is interesting as he has recruited from Holland so not sure whether these recruits will be up to Championship pace.

Burton,Rotherham and Huddersfield are some of the weakest teams, especially if Wells is enticed away from Huddersfield.

Barnsley have strengthened and suspect they will survive.

The Championship is a league where any team can beat another, but it is more even this year.

Our squad depth is important, it relies on retention of Dunk, Kayal and Stephens, the extra players we need ( defensive and midfield cover) plus another mystery bonus striker.

The amount of work that the midfield pairing does, means that Sidwell, Towell (and maybe Ince) have to be able to step in and cover for periods.

Manu being more interested and involved would help the strike force, Murray will convert the chances presented to him by the brilliant winger talent we have.

Any gaps to be plugged during the season will have to come from the U23 squad.

I think Brighton will be top 6. If we keep all our players and get Vydra in, then top 2, and probable champions. Newcastle, although strong, are still shedding Premiership players.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
TBH, given the relative lack of signings so far, and the potential for losing Stephens and Dunk during August, I've rarely felt as underwhelmed before the start of a season.

I want to feel excited and optimistic, but so far, I'm a bit 'meh'.

Sheets are still dry, though :wink:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Not that excited .

Looking forward to us being decent again though. Even if don't go up we will have many more good Saturdays than bad.

Takes a while to get back into it , no doubt hindered by numerous international breaks.

Need a good start to get juices flowing.

This season feels more about doing the business !

I'm about a 6

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I am quite excited. Feels like the summer has gone very quickly though.

I enjoyed last season so much, especially when the previous season had been so disappointing, and was gutted when it ended that way. The last three months (after we signed Knockaert and Skalak) were some of the best performances I can remember from an Albion team and I really believe we can hit the ground running again (with the only slight concern being our pre season injuries and the centre back issue).

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
You should be but are you?

Not in the slightest, have not given it a thought. Football season means winter, and I'm not ready for winter yet. The summer sports take over - love my tennis, golf and cricket - do not miss football at all. I have ignored everything, I could not tell you who we've bought or sold, and won't care for a while yet.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Not in the slightest, have not given it a thought. Football season means winter, and I'm not ready for winter yet. The summer sports take over - love my tennis, golf and cricket - do not miss football at all. I have ignored everything, I could not tell you who we've bought or sold, and won't care for a while yet.

Me neither - I'm still waiting for the arrival of summer!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm overly trepidacious about that first damn game. I hope Derby are trying to find themselves and we immediately bust a gut to play our slick high tempo football that knocks them for 6. That'll set us in motion again. I disbelieved on occasion early on last season too, so I pray to be mistaken once more and my addiction to undoings firmly dashed.
Am feeling a tad thrilled now actually, in amongst the flu symptoms and pints of honey and lemon I'm drowned in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here