Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sam Allardyce is growing on me

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
At least as England manager he can't be involved in back handers & dodgy transfer deals anymore (conveniently forgotten by the press now)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
But they are good enough. Sadly, no matter how much they deny it, they simply don't care enough.
Why do people say the players "don't care?" And DON'T say "It's because the players all earn too much money and care more about club football". The Spanish, Italians, French, Germans, Portuguese, etc, all their players play in the same rich leagues for the same rich clubs as their English counterparts - but they care and the English don't?

We don't win mainly because the opposition think better and play better than us. Saying the reason for all our failures over the decades is because the players have never cared is like saying a deaf man is rude because he doesn't answer when you call his name.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
At least as England manager he can't be involved in back handers & dodgy transfer deals anymore (conveniently forgotten by the press now)

Had been itching to bring that up myself, but as he was never actually "done" for it I thought it best left well alone.

But now you have brought it up, totally agree - history being white-washed?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Had been itching to bring that up myself, but as he was never actually "done" for it I thought it best left well alone.

Part of being an old school English manager isn't it? Perks of the job and all that.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
You get the impression that he won't accept "zero effort" from his players and that he would be prepared to drop any of these so called superstars if they don't pull their weight. I wouldn't want to be in the dressing room with him if I was 1-0 down to Iceland.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
You get the impression that he won't accept "zero effort" from his players and that he would be prepared to drop any of these so called superstars if they don't pull their weight. I wouldn't want to be in the dressing room with him if I was 1-0 down to Iceland.

But surely if all the Big Sam lovers are right, we won't go 1 down to Iceland any more!

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Yeah I like him as he's more of a hands on old fashioned type manager although England's issues seem to run far deeper and passion is never there.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I like him and hope that he is able to instil his passion for the job into the players. I just hope that the FA don't mould him into what they want him to be. I want someone in that position to call a spade a spade and not blather on like Hodgson did. The team needs someone blunt who will say what is wrong and try to put it right and not just try to paper over the cracks. Time will tell and I hope that all the English players start with a clean slate as previous performances as an England international should count for nothing. I also want him to look further into English football - into the Championship - and not just pick the same old faces time after time

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
I used to hate the man with a passion, thinking him a disgusting loathsome sort of Steve Evans man. However since he has been appointed England manager I have listened to him speak on a number of occasions and he is growing on me. Talks a lot of sense, has a certain way about him that suggests there is a lot more to him than the big bravado that he is generally seen as. I also think he is a lot more intelligent than most people give him credit for (me included).

What is also clear is that he has a massive passion for the job, and was clearly hurt and disappointed when he missed out before.

I think he may do very well.
I'm sure he's glad to have won you over ☺

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Although a REALLY small point, I remember once watching Bolton and on corner kicks wondering why, when defending, they had one guy basically standing between the corner of the box and the corner taker. It turns out, based on analysis, Sam was placing a player in the 5m radius where the majority of corner clearances land.

Most managers would be happy with the initial clearing of a corner. Sam was looking at how to use it to launch a counter attack.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I'm still not convinced by him and West Ham fans I have spoken to despised the football he got them playing. He said at the time that it was what was needed but West Ham have done a lot better without him.

We have traditionally found it hard to break down teams who play very deep counter-attack football. This is what he needs to be working on.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I was indifferent about Big Sam's appointment but like the OP,i agree....

He really really WANTS and is so HAPPY to be our manager,i cannot ever recall a previous manager for England feel the same way,the closest perhaps was Sir Bobby Robson,team spirit as we Albion fans know is a hugely important factor,i am hoping for his enthusiasm to filter down to the team.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Why do people say the players "don't care?" And DON'T say "It's because the players all earn too much money and care more about club football". The Spanish, Italians, French, Germans, Portuguese, etc, all their players play in the same rich leagues for the same rich clubs as their English counterparts - but they care and the English don't?

We don't win mainly because the opposition think better and play better than us. Saying the reason for all our failures over the decades is because the players have never cared is like saying a deaf man is rude because he doesn't answer when you call his name.

These thoughts have real merit.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'm all for giving big Sam a go.
England have been there and done it with the high profile managers on extortionate wages.
So why not have some faith in someone who looks a grafter and is prepared to get his hands dirty.

This :)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Who cares ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here