Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sad News

tubby

Aug 15, 2008
RIP Denis. I had many chats with him when my son and his grandsons played for Hove Rivervale. My condolences to Michael, Kevin and the rest of the family.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Chris Balderstone (Carlisle) and sort of, Botham (Scunny).

There was another thread on DF fairly recently. His boys, Kevin and Michael, used to destroy the rest of us up Easthill Park in kickabouts in the 60s. Thay had joie de vivre. I salute that.

Joe Gatting did both albeit on a smaller scale.

I knew of Denis as a cricketer but don't remember him playing football. No doubt, my Dad would have known.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Sad news indeed , I didn't know him myself although my father who would have been about the same age did .

My condolences to the family .

Have uploaded these photos of the 57-58 promotion winning side as a tribute to the passing of a true sportsman .

This team were playing in my second season of watching the Albion

Albion.jpg

Back row: Des Tennant, Tommy Bisset, Eric Gill, Glen Wilson, Jimmy Langley
Front row: Dennis Gordon, Albert Munday, Peter Harburn, Denis Foreman, Frankie Howard, Ken Whitfield

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Sad news, he was a loyalist for Sussex and the Albion.

The Foremans are stalwarts of St James Montefiore CC out at Ditchling and have come across them a few times there.

Denis managed to play for Sussex on and off for 15 years as a batsman, but only averaged 18 in 1st class cricket. He scored his only hundred in his last season, 1967.

PG

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
The team celebrating the clubs first ever football league promotion after beating Watford 6-0 with local lad Adrian Thorne scoring 5 goals.

Albion 2.jpg

Back Row: Syd Ellis, Denis Foreman, Frankie Howard Don Bates (who also played for the Albion and cricket for Sussex)

Middle Row: Glen Wilson, Ken Whitfield, Cyril Hodges (Trainer) Dennis Gordan, Des Tennant

Front Three players: Peter Harburn, Eric Gill, Adrian Thorne

Front: Joe Wilson and I think club chairman who I can't remember his name.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
The Foremans are stalwarts of St James Montefiore CC out at Ditchling

Very talented family with regards to sports. Have watched Michael and Kevins kids grow up the last 2 decades excelling at both football and cricket themselves. Some strong genes were passed along the line there!
Makes me feel old though as I remember babysitting them all when they were about 10....now all grown up & leading successful lives themselves - Denis was an extremely proud grandfather to them & will be missed terribly.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Oh such sad news. Dennis was my PE teacher for 6 years and became a good friend. He got me a trial at the Albion and from there I played at the Goldstone on 4 occasions and every time he came along to watch. He was also a fantastic cricket coach.

I will always remember a team talk during half time when we were losing quite heavily and he turned around to one of the lads held up a ball and said "Howard this is a football, it has no brain..............tell me Howard how does this football keep out thinking you???"

Really was a true gent and always had a story about either his Albion days or Sussex CCC days.

RIP Dennis, thanks for the memories!

Sad. He was my PE teacher at Shoreham Grammar for 4 years. His son, Michael, was in my class too. Michael was a super footballer and cricketer. Denis was very likable and a good teacher, from what I remember, but it was a long time ago. RIP and thoughts to his family.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here