Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Camber Sands

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Very sad. However, this happens every year, for some reason this year the papers have really run with it . Figures from 2015 show 264 deaths from drowning in GB. I imagine a fair whack of those are from over keen beach swimmers ignoring common sense.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Search called off - false alarm. Better news at least :)

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I grew up and remain 400 metres from the sea as have so many of my friends.

I actually think due to the proximity and the fun to be had we showed absolutely no respect or understanding of its danger, we were all strong swimmers, we took (looking back) loads of silly risks,from the age of ten years old without any adults we were diving off sea walls, swimming during rough weather, inflatables in poor weather, mucking around in and around the sea all the time.

But perhaps the key was, firstly we or our parents didn't hear of tragedies in other parts of the country and the subsequent newsfeeds of 'riptides' etc and what not to do,so we continued to be strong swimmers, young, stupid but no respect whatsoever.

I spend nearly ten years of my youth almost living on the beach in the summer and agree wholeheartedly with every word of that. Ironically that beach was Camber and I still cannot get my head around how this tradegy occurred. It's one of the most benign beaches I can think of.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Very sad. However, this happens every year, for some reason this year the papers have really run with it . Figures from 2015 show 264 deaths from drowning in GB. I imagine a fair whack of those are from over keen beach swimmers ignoring common sense.

i agree clamp but you say common sense but thats only if you have the information to hand. some of the things we did as kids were utter lunacy. no one pulled us up on it. at ovingdean today there were lifeguards, red flags flying, never there when i was a kid (and its a good thing they were, sea was brutal about 1430 when the tide was coming in fast) but in my day we would have been in the water, as were plenty of people from east arm of the marina to rottingdean today. no way i would sanction going in the water on that stretch today, but plenty (excepting the surfers who know the score) were. it worried the hell out of me how many were in the sea this afternoon.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
i agree clamp but you say common sense but thats only if you have the information to hand. some of the things we did as kids were utter lunacy. no one pulled us up on it. at ovingdean today there were lifeguards, red flags flying, never there when i was a kid (and its a good thing they were, sea was brutal about 1430 when the tide was coming in fast) but in my day we would have been in the water, as were plenty of people from east arm of the marina to rottingdean today. no way i would sanction going in the water on that stretch today, but plenty (excepting the surfers who know the score) were. it worried the hell out of me how many were in the sea this afternoon.

Very true.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

some people are too casual with the sea,some are really just very unlucky in the wrong place at the wrong time,some people even in Brighton have never seen the sea..

I remember being out Seaford beach a good few summers ago,tide was pretty much out,calm day,sunny...i was walking with water up to my knees after a few steps i was upto my chest and almost buoyant,quite an intimidating feeling to be honest,i am not a great swimmer and well its all to easy to get into difficulty.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Agreed, it's no laughing matter.

Unlike someone suggesting that the tide was "brutal about 1430".

Now that is...

I really don't know why a Palace scumbag like you is allowed on this forum. It has been a decent and informative thread, yet you are permitted by our weak-willed Moderators to come on our forum and attempt to belittle a Brighton and Hove Albion poster at every opportunity.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Agreed, it's no laughing matter.

Unlike someone suggesting that the tide was "brutal about 1430".

Now that is...

Care to explain why it's a laughing matter ? Incoming tides vary very significantly in intensity you know.......for example just before high on a neap tide is massively different to mid-tide on a spring. I haven't checked the tables for the day in question but before taking the piss maybe you should.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Care to explain why it's a laughing matter ? Incoming tides vary very significantly in intensity you know.......for example just before high on a neap tide is massively different to mid-tide on a spring. I haven't checked the tables for the day in question but before taking the piss maybe you should.

That was actually my point. Re-read the post I quoted, it made specific reference to the tide's behaviour on ovingdean beach at 14:30 which, as you rightly pointed out varies massively.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I really don't know why a Palace scumbag like you is allowed on this forum. It has been a decent and informative thread, yet you are permitted by our weak-willed Moderators to come on our forum and attempt to belittle a Brighton and Hove Albion poster at every opportunity.

Oh bore off. Who I support has sod all to do with this thread.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That was actually my point. Re-read the post I quoted, it made specific reference to the tide's behaviour on ovingdean beach at 14:30 which, as you rightly pointed out varies massively.

I must be being thick. Still can't see why someone suggesting the tide was brutal at 1430 is a laughing matter.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I got cut off by the tide there when I was 10. Really freaked out. Wasn't very much fun at all.
Having said that.... It is one of my favourite places in the world.

Very frightening getting cut off,we got cut off at the Gannell near Newquay years ago,luckily we clambered up the rocks..although it's an estuary the same physics apply..

OldBarnRiverGannel.jpg

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
some people are too casual with the sea,some are really just very unlucky in the wrong place at the wrong time,some people even in Brighton have never seen the sea..

I remember being out Seaford beach a good few summers ago,tide was pretty much out,calm day,sunny...i was walking with water up to my knees after a few steps i was upto my chest and almost buoyant,quite an intimidating feeling to be honest,i am not a great swimmer and well its all to easy to get into difficulty.

But isnt this the problem, you are not a great swimmer and with respect if we watched your 'incident' unfold it might dare I say it look quite absurd that you found it intimidating.

It must be fair to say that any water experience for you would be a risk, but my wider point is that perhaps too many people are adverse to risk and therefore never really master the art of swimming in the sea, when they do and should a problem arise then it can always end with a tragedy.

I must of swam a million times in the sea from Sussex to Cornwall, I must have encountered a 'rip tide' but without consequence, however now I suspect I would struggle as I havent really swam in the sea or otherwise for some 30 years.

Its all about competency, just retreating form the sea and its associated dangers is only likely to increase these tragedies.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I remember getting cut off by the incoming tide on the rocks at Tintagel. We has stopped for maybe 3 mins to roll some cigarettes. Looked up and realised the only rock to get to safety was very quickly getting covered in very choppy waves. Just made it across and got very wet. I reckon another minute or two and it would have been a coastguard job. Very frightening. Luckily there was a pub a little along the coast, I've never sunk a glass of Whiskey so quickly!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here