Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Plucky little Bournemouth

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
They gambled and won, and it annoys me every time I hear their name. How the feck have Bournemouth spent two seasons In the Premier League and we have never even got there? I am talking about since Football began in 1992 or whenever it was not old currency.

The amount that club is spending on players whilst we scrabble around for freebies and bargains, whilst trying to keep our best players irritates me irrationally.
I'm with you on that one! I know two Watford STHs too, another tinpot club. And how have Swansea survived for so long? And the Nigels...

The only thing that consoles me is that clubs like them cannot survive in the top league indefinitely. They only need a few bad signings/some serious injuries/ a manager leaving, and they'll be fighting relegation.

Look at the sides in the Championship and League 1 who are much 'bigger' than those 4 clubs. Their time will come!

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I'm with you on that one! I know two Watford STHs too, another tinpot club. And how have Swansea survived for so long? And the Nigels...

The only thing that consoles me is that clubs like them cannot survive in the top league indefinitely. They only need a few bad signings/some serious injuries/ a manager leaving, and they'll be fighting relegation.

Look at the sides in the Championship and League 1 who are much 'bigger' than those 4 clubs. Their time will come!

Wouldn't be grouping Swansea in with those other clubs. They have retained their Premier League place these past few years because they have been, on the whole, run very efficiently and have a chairman who has for the most part made good managerial appointments and who have all continued to set out teams in the club's playing style and identity. They play good football and have been more than a match for some of the Premier League big boys on several occasions. They have taken 7 points from their last 3 visits to Arsenal, for example.

It's all well and good saying that there are bigger clubs in the Championship, and yes, historically they would be. But the reason teams like Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday and Nottingham Forest to name just 3 have been playing outside the top flight for so long is because they have been run abysmally over the years by owners/chairmen in it for the wrong reasons. They have no divine right to be in the top flight just because they were successful decades ago.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The amount that club is spending on players whilst we scrabble around for freebies and bargains, whilst trying to keep our best players irritates me irrationally.

Blimey Icy. Its not Prem League spending, the gulf irritiates me too, but hardly "scrabbling around for freebies and bargains" either. We're losing c£18m a year and spending nearly c £24m a year just the wages of those "freebies and bargains"... a fair few of which of which seem to be attracting offers of £5m+ and more.
No harm also in "bargains". Kayal, Knockeart, Hemed, Stephens turned out alright.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Wouldn't be grouping Swansea in with those other clubs. They have retained their Premier League place these past few years because they have been, on the whole, run very efficiently and have a chairman who has for the most part made good managerial appointments and who have all continued to set out teams in the club's playing style and identity. They play good football and have been more than a match for some of the Premier League big boys on several occasions. They have taken 7 points from their last 3 visits to Arsenal, for example.

It's all well and good saying that there are bigger clubs in the Championship, and yes, historically they would be. But the reason teams like Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday and Nottingham Forest to name just 3 have been playing outside the top flight for so long is because they have been run abysmally over the years by owners/chairmen in it for the wrong reasons. They have no divine right to be in the top flight just because they were successful decades ago.
Looking at the Swansea situation, they are well run. But what happens when the chairman leaves? Watford have done well, but how many managers have they had recently?

I take your points, but looking at it historically, there are only a handful of clubs who have spent 80%+ of their history in the top flight. It would take an absolute disaster for teams like Liverpool, Arsenal and Man U to be relegated. However, it wouldn't take much for several PL clubs to slip into the bottom 3.

It's fine margins. 6-8 fewer points than last season would have many clubs in trouble.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Blimey Icy. Its not Prem League spending, the gulf irritiates me too, but hardly "scrabbling around for freebies and bargains" either. We're losing c£18m a year and spending nearly c £24m a year just the wages of those "freebies and bargains"... a fair few of which of which seem to be attracting offers of £5m+ and more.
No harm also in "bargains". Kayal, Knockeart, Hemed, Stephens turned out alright.

Point taken and yes we have been very astute and played the market really well in players brought in over the last year. Our record transfer fee is 2.5 to 3 million though which makes the sort of money 'ickle Bournemouth are spending really irritating. I understand why but it doesn't make me feel any less irritated :smile:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Point taken and yes we have been very astute and played the market really well in players brought in over the last year. Our record transfer fee is 2.5 to 3 million though which makes the sort of money 'ickle Bournemouth are spending really irritating. I understand why but it doesn't make me feel any less irritated :smile:

agreed. quite rational in being aggrieved with our friends down the coast :)

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
£15m for Jordon Ibe is a relative bargain. I'm shocked Liverpool have let him go.

Looking very lively pre season as well as is Lewis Cook.

What's with the hate guys ...come on give us a break ffs :love:..You can only deal the cards your'e dealt with in life and ours was long overdue....

Back in the day when some money started filtering through from our chairman we had a debate on whether it should be spent on a squad or a sparkly new stadium.....the owners chose the former and it paid off...how strange is that eh!. He's been around for some time now and I dont think he's going anywhere so stop dripping on about that and pompey lol .

ps I aint the guy who said we'd pass FFP.....who cares anyway, You'd fall over yourselves to get into our position irrespective of financial issues outside of the fans control....

As for the Burnley fan ...give over you big fanny...your views dont represent the views of Burnley fans, you sound like a deluded ever so slightly jealous Watford wanker

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I hope the old saying "Cheats never prosper" will eventually turn out true for Bournemouth.

Unlike many football fans, I was never taken in by the Bournemouth "fairytale success story" and their amazing transformation from League 2 paupers to a club giving Premier League giants bloody noses....but I WAS surprised at how easily the national media fell for all AFC Bournemouth's "flannel" without properly investigating how on earth it was possible - it should have been obvious that it was only possible because of "bending or breaking" FFP rules as was subsequently revealed (paltry £7 million fine and knuckles wrapped)........they should be starting this season with a 10-point deduction or even worse (a la Swindon when they were demoted because of financial irregularities).

It was even more galling that we were expected to believe Mr Smug Eddie Howe's weasel-like protestations that everything was achieved above board and on merit plus the fans telling us "we will pass FFP rules because we are due a big chunk of money from the Lallana sell-on fee".

Having watched Howe closely at Burnley, I can say he was no managerial genius and was taking us towards League One when Sean Dyche came to the rescue in October 2012 .....I'd love Dyche to come out on top again against Howe this season in the managerial stakes but the odds are against it because of billionaire "sugardaddy" Max Demin.

Agree 100%. Can't stand Bournemouth or Smug Eddie.

This means they now have an £8 million reserve left back in Tyrone Mings.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Looking very lively pre season as well as is Lewis Cook.

What's with the hate guys ...come on give us a break ffs :love:..You can only deal the cards your'e dealt with in life and ours was long overdue....

Back in the day when some money started filtering through from our chairman we had a debate on whether it should be spent on a squad or a sparkly new stadium.....the owners chose the former and it paid off...how strange is that eh!. He's been around for some time now and I dont think he's going anywhere so stop dripping on about that and pompey lol .

ps I aint the guy who said we'd pass FFP.....who cares anyway, You'd fall over yourselves to get into our position irrespective of financial issues outside of the fans control....

As for the Burnley fan ...give over you big fanny...your views dont represent the views of Burnley fans, you sound like a deluded ever so slightly jealous Watford wanker

Smug little tit.

Yeah 'cos paying millions for players and spunking loads on wages while playing in a League 1 ground can only end in success can't it?

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
Smug little tit.

Yeah 'cos paying millions for players and spunking loads on wages while playing in a League 1 ground can only end in success can't it?

At least we're in a position to find out...

What's your mega ground actually brought you ?

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
At least we're in a position to find out...

What's your mega ground actually bought you ?

brought. Or brung, if you must. :facepalm:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Thing with Howe is that he never buys old codgers (apart from maybe Distin) but instead goes for young players with pace that he can add value to.

The difference between Bournemouth & other relegation dodgers in the PL is that, should it happen to them, they'd have a load of players who they could sell on for high value and pick themselves up again, as opposed to a bunch of moaning veterans who went there for the pay day (not saying the younger players aren't in it for the pay day as clearly Bournemouth were and are paying out huge salaries).

Don't see them going down anyway. They always score enough goals to make up for their slightly weak defence. Hull look nailed on, and Burnley always get themselves up, then come straight back down again. I see no reason to suspect the same won't happen this time round. That only leaves one spot, and I'm not convinced it will end up being Bournemouth's.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Can't blame them for spending the money once they've got there. Such is the way of the world, that's their reward.

Still annoyed that they- and other clubs- cheat to get there though. It's not like we're skint, but the Albion made a decision to adhere to the FFP rules, because they assumed there would be some sort of punitive action for clubs who didn't. And then teams like Bournemouth- and others- basically gave that ruling a great big **** YOU and spent whatever they wanted.

Why should we abide by rules that others ignore? And why should we lose out as a result?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here