Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2nd Test: England v Pakistan, Old Trafford

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thought I read somewhere though that Root's average gets lower almost in direct proportion to the higher in the order he goes. There was some consternation even moving him up to 3 let alone opening again,

I wouldn't move him from 4, let alone to 3 or opening.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Thought I read somewhere though that Root's average gets lower almost in direct proportion to the higher in the order he goes. There was some consternation even moving him up to 3 let alone opening again,

He averages 33.4 opening (10 innings all against Australia in England and very early in his Test career).

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
He averages 33.4 opening (10 innings all against Australia in England).

What does he average not opening then? Not arguing, just interested as I'm sure I read he has lower average opening than not.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
What does he average not opening then? Not arguing, just interested as I'm sure I read he has lower average opening than not.

Significantly more as his overall average is 52.3, but not all against Australia and not all early in his career.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We could end up destroying Root if we keep moving him about the order. His best position is clearly 4, we're moving him because everyone else is crap, not because suddenly we think he should open. Root should only open if it seems that is where his game is heading and what he wants to do. Moving him because we don't have a decent 2 or 3 in my opinion is the wrong way of approaching it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We could end up destroying Root if we keep moving him about the order. His best position is clearly 4, we're moving him because everyone else is crap, not because suddenly we think he should open. Root should only open if it seems that is where his game is heading and what he wants to do. Moving him because we don't have a decent 2 or 3 in my opinion is the wrong way of approaching it.

Correct

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Has Root decided it is too warm to be running today? 12 of his 13 thus far have been 3 x 4's :lolol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
WG Grace is DEAD. Ridiculous suggestion.

Can we please keep the discussion sensible, and limit suggestions to players who are ex-England batsmen, 40-odd years old, with a history of mental struggles in the International spotlight.

Tresco, Trott and Yardy at numbers 3, 4 and 6 sound ideal.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
WG Grace is DEAD. Ridiculous suggestion.

Can we please keep the discussion sensible, and limit suggestions to players who are ex-England batsmen, 40-odd years old, with a history of mental struggles in the International spotlight.

Tresco, Trott and Yardy at numbers 3, 4 and 6 sound ideal.

Graeme Fowler?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here