Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The RNLI- one of our greatest institutions

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Programme on BBC featuring the ladies & gents of the RNLI at the moment.

Aren't they just a brilliant organisation? I don't know what happens elsewhere in the world, or if they're unique, but when you consider that most of these people are volunteers, chucking themselves out to sea in all weathers simply to help others...I just think they're fab. Always try to chuck in a few quid when I pass one of their collection boxes.

Anyone on here volunteer, out of interest?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Substantial number of members of my family are volunteers - small enough island station with a full Severn Class and a huge area of the North Atlantic to cover.

I live too far from the sea but I'm an "offshore member" or something along those lines, not that I can find out because they've completely ballsed up their website and none of the old links work.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
My cousin was a crewman at Newhaven for years.
A marvellous organisation, one I always bung a few quid to whenever I can, as an ex sailor I know what great work they do, and in what conditions

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nothing was more thrilling, as a child on holiday, than seeing the lifeboat on St Mary's, Isles of Scilly, thundering down the launch ramp:-

st-marys-rnli-slipway-and-station-st-marys-isles-of-scilly-d0aaya.jpg

Now that's a lifeboat crew and a fantastic museum of hero's.

Ha
In looking for some footage on YouTube, I found this:-

The last little bit (7.37) does have a launch from St Mary's but I'm not that old.

Last edited:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Great point. What do other countries do if someone is in trouble in the sea or in a boat?
They have saved many lives on the beaches down here in Cornwall over the years pulling holiday makers out of the sea due to the awful rip tides off the Cornish coast.
There is a fabulous little known seaside village in Devon, near Salcombe called Hope Cove. Every year they have a village day to raise money for the RNLI.
Its such a great day where the villagers, holiday makers and day trippers all join in for a day of fun. Games on the beach, Hog Roast, music, boat races, the pub and restaurant laying on all sorts of stuff in a beautiful setting, one of the best days of the year for a great cause.

Great point. What do other countries do if someone is in trouble in the sea or in a boat?
They have saved many lives on the beaches down here in Cornwall over the years pulling holiday makers out of the sea due to the awful rip tides off the Cornish coast.
There is a fabulous little known seaside village in Devon, near Salcombe called Hope Cove. Every year they have a village day to raise money for the RNLI.
Its such a great day where the villagers, holiday makers and day trippers all join in for a day of fun. Games on the beach, Hog Roast, music, boat races, the pub and restaurant laying on all sorts of stuff in a beautiful setting, one of the best days of the year for a great cause.

Lovely little place Hope Cove, as is the rest of the South Hams. Keeping it Sussex perhaps we should remember this https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...2MLrWwPkcs4hFCGIndHSRg&bvm=bv.127521224,d.ZGg

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
And there was I thinking I was probably the only kid who went on holidays to the Isles of Scilly! We used to holiday there regularly up until the summer of '77 when it rained 13 of the 14 days and my parents were stuck in the hotel trying to entertain two under 8's!. That proved to be the last of the family holidays on the Islands. We used to stay at the Atlantic Hotel. Fond memories of the helicopter as a youngster. I've been back a few times but not for about 15 years now. A truly beautiful place.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Always annoyed me when the AA call themselves "the fourth emergency service". Do they still do that?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Selsey Lifeboat Week starts on 26th July. Lots of events and fundraising activities.
A new lifeboat station is currently being constructed to house the Shannon Class lifeboat that will replace the old Tyne Class vessel
All good stuff except for the fact that the present iconic lifeboat station and gantry are to be taken down.I dare say a few on here might have seen it.It is a great sight seeing the boat enter the water from the slipway. The new boat will be launched from the beach, I understand.

Good programme featured local, Eastbourne crew. Gave me a new respect for these brave volunteers. It is easy to take them for granted.

Indeed, I found it quite pertinent when the Eastbourne Crew were tasked with removing the body at the bottom of Beachy Head one was asked, by the Helicopter bloke I think, "And you volunteer for this shit"?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I have a vague memory of some MP a few years ago saying that lifeboat crew were paid too much because they rarely had to do any work. Might have been a cynical dream on my behalf but I've got a horrible feeling it might actually have happened.

Anyways, the RNLI are ****ing ace.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
My brother-in-law is an RNLI crewman at Burnham-on-Sea.

It never ceases to amaze me of the ignorance of some people to the dangers of open water with some of the incidents he has been called out to attend.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
My brother-in-law is an RNLI crewman at Burnham-on-Sea.

It never ceases to amaze me of the ignorance of some people to the dangers of open water with some of the incidents he has been called out to attend.

Yeah my absolute respect for the work of these guys is almost equalled by my incredulity at the oftentimes abject stupidity of those they are saving.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It is indeed a great institution. One of my relatives Richard Eglon is on the honour board at Whitby Lifeboat museum for his part in the SS Rohilla disaster in 1914. He eventually went on to cox the boat and the whole town turned up for his funeral such was the standing in the town for the role.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
attachment.php
My Granddad. Coxswain of the Brighton lifeboat. Rowing variety. I've always done my best to avoid becoming a customer. What really annoys me ( most things seem to now-days) are the fools with yachts who call the lifeboat when their engine doesn't work.

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
The crew on lifeboats did apply once a number of years ago to have flashing lights to put on their cars when called out but were turned down as they were not considered an emergency unit. What the hell are they then? I haven't got the guts to be a lifeboatman but I try to do my bit by being an offshore member

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here