Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ray Wilkins

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The judge was a lovely fella and the jury were a smashing set of lads.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Caught for the 3rd time. Should have gone down.

Didn't Tony Adams go down for getting caught on his first time?

Adams was sentenced right before Christmas though. I remember in his autobiography he felt the timing with the annual Christmas drink-drive campaign played a significant part in him getting a custodial sentence.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Adams was sentenced right before Christmas though. I remember in his autobiography he felt the timing with the annual Christmas drink-drive campaign played a significant part in him getting a custodial sentence.

Well that and the fact that the court’s sentencing guidelines indicate that custody is appropriate for readings of over 116 milligrams of alcohol in 100ml of breath. The legal limit is 35milligrams. Therefore four times the legal limit would be 140 milligrams.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I won't even have a half if I'm driving. It's not worth the risk. But then if I hurt someone I know I couldn't live with the guilt.

Somebody that sinks a few pints and then gets behind the wheel should go to prison IMO.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
'struck a kerb whilst drinking from a bottle'

'middle of the road straddling a bus lane'

'attempted a U turn but came to a halt, a passer-by took his keys'

'glazed, unsteady on his feet, smelt strongly of alcohol'

For a third offence and being so far over the limit, should be a custodial sentence in my view.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well that and the fact that the court’s sentencing guidelines indicate that custody is appropriate for readings of over 116 milligrams of alcohol in 100ml of breath. The legal limit is 35milligrams. Therefore four times the legal limit would be 140 milligrams.

And the fact that he crashed.

Aggravating factors in sentencing include having a crash, having a very high reading (as you say), injuring somebody, having previous convictions for the same offence, and so on.

I think Wilkins is quite lucky he's avoided prison this time. He's on a suspended sentence, so the next time he does it, he'll be locked up.

He obviously needs to drink, and thus he needs help to stop him drinking. I've no problem with that. But he's a massive **** for getting behind the wheel (repeatedly). I've no sympathy for him whatsoever when he ends up in court. At least he pleaded guilty this time. Last time he tried to weasel out of it by focusing on all sorts of irrelevant technicalities in the procedure instead of just manning up and admitting he was three times over the limit (again). Happily, the judge recognised that for what it was, and dismissed the claim. Idiot.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
PS I'd be willing to bet my life savings that he'd had more than five pints.

From experience, drink drivers are almost never, ever honest about what they've had. If I had a quid for every time somebody told me they'd only had two pints and couldn't understand it, I'd be doing pretty well for myself by now.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
'struck a kerb whilst drinking from a bottle'

'middle of the road straddling a bus lane'

'attempted a U turn but came to a halt, a passer-by took his keys'

'glazed, unsteady on his feet, smelt strongly of alcohol'
Where are these quotes from?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think Wilkins is quite lucky he's avoided prison this time. He's on a suspended sentence, so the next time he does it, he'll be locked up.
Surely that will be down to the judge next time, as the suspended sentence won't be in effect after the suspension period, which will presumably be up before his driving ban is over.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here