Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Turkey no longer the fun holiday destination it used to be.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Hundreds have been killed in the last nine months in terror attacks in Turkey linked to Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isil) and Kurdish militant groups, PKK and TAK.
June 5, 2015
Diyarbakir rally bombings
Four killed, 400 injured
Just hours before the pro-Kurdish HDP leader was about to speak at a party rally, two bombs went off in the south-eastern Turkish city. Believed to be Isil.
July 20, 2015
Suruc gathering attack
33 killed, 104 injured
An Isil-linked suicide bomber targeted a group of activists in the southern Turkish town gathered ahead of their trip to help rebuild Kobane after brutal fighting between Syrian Kurdish groups and Isil.
October 10, 2015
Ankara peace rally twin bombings
103 dead, 400 injured
Ahead of a peace rally urging the state and Kurdish militants to stop fighting, twin suicide bombings ripped through the gathering of people. It was Turkey's worst terror attack.
January 12, 2016
Istanbul suicide bombing
12 dead, 14 injured
This was the first major attack to hit Istanbul in its popular Sultanahmet district, close to the Hagia Sophia.
February 17, 2016
Military convoy attack in Ankara
29 dead, 60 injured
Military buses were the target of this attack by the Kurdistan Freedom Falcons (TAK) in the Turkish capital close to military headquarters.
March 13, 2016
Bus stop bombing in Ankara
37 dead, 125 injured
Less than four weeks after the last attack, Ankara was hit by another car bombing, this time by a busy transit hub close to a park and administrative buildings. TAK claimed responsibility.
March 19, 2016
Istanbul blast on popular street
5 dead, 36 injured
A suicide bomber hit one of the city's most popular shopping streets filled with cafes, restaurants and foreign consulates. Officials said either the PKK or Isil were to blame.
April 27, 2016
Female suicide bomber attacks city of Bursa
13 injured
A suicide bomber blew herself up near Bursa's 14th century Grand Mosque, a historic symbol of the city that was the first capital of the Ottoman empire.

Don't you just love people who copy and paste

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Currently in the Med'. Istanbul & Kusadasi were cancelled a few months ago, with Dubrovnik & Kotor in their place. Every cruise I would be asked by guests on a daily basis, "Why was Turkey cancelled? We were so looking forward to it & are asking for some money back".
No-one asking any more!

veuve

Jun 27, 2015
Went too Bodrum 3 weeks ago,very friendly locals desperate to get the trade going again and a lovely place.Russian trade is 95 per cent down,british 33 per cent some bargains to be had never felt in any danger just made to feel very welcomed,

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
You can get nice views anywhere. Like places that don't treat women like shit. Sorry, I'm glad you like it but it has a terrible reputation that didn't disappoint when I went there. Awful place.

Have you ever been to Clacton?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
BTW... rape cases in Turkey are on the up but they are still lower than most of Europe (however rape in marriage is not considered here and that might tilt the balance)....[/QUOTE]

Germany and Scandinavian country's would vouch that there rape count has gone up thanks to the recently arrived refugees.....

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Been to Turkey and Eygpt a few times. Kalkan in Turkey lovely place would return couldn't comment on the other parts of Turkey.

Couldn't stand Eygpt to many men coming up to me and the wife saying:

"Lucky man come to my restaurant"

"Lucky man? You want to live with her" was my response.

I thought it was quite funny until I said it 100 times!!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
BTW... rape cases in Turkey are on the up but they are still lower than most of Europe (however rape in marriage is not considered here and that might tilt the balance)....

Germany and Scandinavian country's would vouch that there rape count has gone up thanks to the recently arrived refugees.....[/QUOTE]

Ah yes but all those sexually repressed twenty something blokes rocking up in countries rammed with blonde sorts...something had to give.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Must admit, Mrs P and I have holidayed in Turkey quite a few times in recent years but made a conscious decision not to this year.

Same here - Been to Dalyan and Cirali last two years, and had a GREAT time and been very well looked after all round.

As an aside, i've never had any issues with locals being funny towards my Mrs, ever. (Hmm.. maybe she's not all that to other eyes :ohmy: ) with only problem being that my wife and kids walked slowly through a market, and the the 'replica shirt' stall had them measured up, with full kit before i could stop them..
After much tiresome haggling time, we came home with 1 x top and shorts each of Fenerbahce and Galatasary.

This year, i just sensed that if something happened hundreds of miles away, they could lock down all the air space/airports in the country as a precaution, and you'd be stuffed, so to speak..

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My mate has a holiday home there, loves the place and the people , i wish i'd thought of that to be honest, but have just booked up for rhodes , which is right next door to , er turkey haha!

One of my mates is a North Cyprus Turk (well, was; he's been here so long etc etc) and strongly recomends it. I'll have a chat with him next week about his view of the sheenanigans on the mainland. I've not done Rhodes properly (brief visit) but Kefalonia was fantastic. Apart from the incessant mandolin playing . . . . . :rolleyes:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
TAKE IT FROM SOMEONE WHO IS LIVING THERE NOW....

If you are coming for a holiday you have absolutely nothing to worry about... unless perhaps if you go to certain parts of Istanbul. There is no chance at all of Turkey becoming fundamentalist... no way it'll become another Iran. If it starts going that way I'll be the first to leave and I'll let you all know. Now going for a Bomonti (the best Turkish beer) on my beach.

p.s. Those interested in conspiracy theory.... most of us think they knew about the takeover last week but decided to let it go ahead, prepared to smash it at the earliest opportunity, were able to make a few people not go ahead with the conspiracy at the last minute ensure its failure, and are now reaping the political profits of being seen as the conquering heroes for democracy. it was certainly the most incompetent military takeover in Turkish history

There are reports coming from your end that some of the soldiers are saying they didn't know it was for real.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here