Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Turkey no longer the fun holiday destination it used to be.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Ha! I go to Egypt frequently. Shit'ole.
I agree, but back to the racism , I am the boards resident racist and i dont like my title being taken away by pretenders not fit to carry my copy of the bulldog .

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I agree, but back to the racism , I am the boards resident racist and i dont like my title being taken away by pretenders not fit to carry my copy of the bulldog .

I have much to learn. I'm off out to shout at foreigners. A good day to you.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Yet raping your wife is not a crime. Oh well. I go out plenty in Turkey, might be a case of the visitor seeing more than the resident.
I have travelled far and wide in many circumstances, all countries have differences , all have pros and cons, all have beauty and horror but despite this variety one thing is constant: You can judge a country by how it treats it's women and it's poor.
I have never known this universal truth to falter.

No raping your wife is not recognised as a crime.... and it should be... but in fact you will find many many countries (including non-muslim ones) don't accept it. I won't even comment on the visitor / resident idea... I've been to more than 65 countries as part of my job... and treatment of women was worst for me in Saudi (unbelievably), UAE, Japan (!), Thailand and there are more I could name..... (however in nearly all of these I was the visitor and I would NEVER assume I know better than a resident based on a few trips... I'm not that arrogant) but it's not good enough for me in Turkey.... if you want to judge a country by how it treats it;'s woman I think you will find very few countries that are not poor.

We've gone off track here... this started with shithole and ended up just being about the women issue. On women Turkey can be better, I agree and it's poor, I agree but I stand by what I said earlier... not enough to call it a shithole.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Only been there once but that was in 1991 and thought the same and fully understand why so many Turks want to live here. I found 2 good point plenty of sun and it was very cheap. The rest was awful, hygeine, food, people, shoddy imitation goods, sorry not for me but I am told by sons that it is a lot better now than then but I am not prepared to try it.

You r sons are right. I was on my second tour here in 1991 and while I wouldn't call it a shithole it was pretty bad..... not the same now.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Astonishingly beautiful country, lovely food and great people. Visited plenty of times and never had any issues. If you've never had mint tea in Patara, waded up Saklikent Gorge, eaten fish late in the evening overlooking Kalkan harbour, or driven over the mountains to marvel at the waterfalls, you've missed out.

Of course this makes people nervous, but to write Turkey off as a shithole ... says a huge amount about you and your prejudices and little about the reality of Turkey.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I've been to the Spain,Greece,Cyprus,Majorca etc Give me Turkey any day. I was ignorant like some on this thread once, saying i wouldn't go to Turkey. That was in 2001. Since then i've been back 9 times.

It's a stunning country and Turkish people are far more friendly than your Spanish and most Europeans. I have never worried about my safety. There's something about Turkey that draws you back time and time again..

To be honest i simply ignore people who have never been. How can they even comment on a country they haven't been to? :facepalm:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Perhaps we will try it again but we like Southern Cyprus and am concerned about having a Turkish stamp on my passport if we go back there.

Enjoy. Im not trying to market Turkey... just telling people that their holidays probably won't be affected by events.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Probably be denounced as fear mongering but I wouldn't take my family there this summer, that's for sure:

The FCO says the threat from terrorism remains high.

“Terrorist groups, including Kurdish groups, Daesh (formerly referred to as ISIL) and far left organisations, continue to plan and carry out attacks,” its advice says. “Further attacks are likely. Terrorist groups, including Daesh and the Kurdistan Freedom Falcons, have publicly threatened to attack tourist sites in Turkey.”

“Terrorist groups, including Kurdish groups, Daesh (formerly referred to as ISIL) and far left organisations, continue to plan and carry out attacks,” its advice says. “Further attacks are likely. Terrorist groups, including Daesh and the Kurdistan Freedom Falcons, have publicly threatened to attack tourist sites in Turkey.”

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Hundreds have been killed in the last nine months in terror attacks in Turkey linked to Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isil) and Kurdish militant groups, PKK and TAK.
June 5, 2015
Diyarbakir rally bombings
Four killed, 400 injured
Just hours before the pro-Kurdish HDP leader was about to speak at a party rally, two bombs went off in the south-eastern Turkish city. Believed to be Isil.
July 20, 2015
Suruc gathering attack
33 killed, 104 injured
An Isil-linked suicide bomber targeted a group of activists in the southern Turkish town gathered ahead of their trip to help rebuild Kobane after brutal fighting between Syrian Kurdish groups and Isil.
October 10, 2015
Ankara peace rally twin bombings
103 dead, 400 injured
Ahead of a peace rally urging the state and Kurdish militants to stop fighting, twin suicide bombings ripped through the gathering of people. It was Turkey's worst terror attack.
January 12, 2016
Istanbul suicide bombing
12 dead, 14 injured
This was the first major attack to hit Istanbul in its popular Sultanahmet district, close to the Hagia Sophia.
February 17, 2016
Military convoy attack in Ankara
29 dead, 60 injured
Military buses were the target of this attack by the Kurdistan Freedom Falcons (TAK) in the Turkish capital close to military headquarters.
March 13, 2016
Bus stop bombing in Ankara
37 dead, 125 injured
Less than four weeks after the last attack, Ankara was hit by another car bombing, this time by a busy transit hub close to a park and administrative buildings. TAK claimed responsibility.
March 19, 2016
Istanbul blast on popular street
5 dead, 36 injured
A suicide bomber hit one of the city's most popular shopping streets filled with cafes, restaurants and foreign consulates. Officials said either the PKK or Isil were to blame.
April 27, 2016
Female suicide bomber attacks city of Bursa
13 injured
A suicide bomber blew herself up near Bursa's 14th century Grand Mosque, a historic symbol of the city that was the first capital of the Ottoman empire.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
No raping your wife is not recognised as a crime.... and it should be... but in fact you will find many many countries (including non-muslim ones) don't accept it. I won't even comment on the visitor / resident idea... I've been to more than 65 countries as part of my job... and treatment of women was worst for me in Saudi (unbelievably), UAE, Japan (!), Thailand and there are more I could name..... (however in nearly all of these I was the visitor and I would NEVER assume I know better than a resident based on a few trips... I'm not that arrogant) but it's not good enough for me in Turkey.... if you want to judge a country by how it treats it;'s woman I think you will find very few countries that are not poor.

We've gone off track here... this started with shithole and ended up just being about the women issue. On women Turkey can be better, I agree and it's poor, I agree but I stand by what I said earlier... not enough to call it a shithole.

Interesting world tour by proxy! Clearly it's difficult to generalise about a country as a visitor and I've had some great holidays in Turkey over the years.

What really bothers me about Turkey and other popular tourist destinations (Morocco and Tunisia spring to mind) is that their drift towards Islam seems to mean that they treat Western women Increasingly poorly to the point of open harassment!

There's always been a bit of a background of Western women being treated in a way that they wouldn't dream of with their own women but it seems to me to be getting rather worse and more overt.

I know my wife and daughter have felt increasingly uncomfortable in these countries unless I'm with them at all times and that doesn't make for a pleasant holiday.

Probably won't stop us altogether but we're increasingly less inclined to visit these countries because of this factor........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Astonishingly beautiful country, lovely food and great people. Visited plenty of times and never had any issues. If you've never had mint tea in Patara, waded up Saklikent Gorge, eaten fish late in the evening overlooking Kalkan harbour, or driven over the mountains to marvel at the waterfalls, you've missed out.

Of course this makes people nervous, but to write Turkey off as a shithole ... says a huge amount about you and your prejudices and little about the reality of Turkey.

Quite right.
But you cannot blame people for thinking twice about going there and not just because of the coup.
It's a shame because the holiday destinations are nice but there are lots of other nice destinations to visit in Europe.
Having said all that I would think twice before going to any largish place in France and that was before Nice.
I like a nice quiet Greek Island that you have get a ferry to, sit in the sun, visit a Taverna or around a harbour, eat and drink Greek stuff, people watch, meet nice people from around the world and chill right out, Perfick and should be safe.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I think it's a bit too early to judge. I'd avoid Istanbul and Ankara. I've always thought that Turkey has something for everyone and look forward to holidaying there again with my wife and our teenage daughter for a couple of weeks in September. Won't be in a hurry to let our daughter out of our sight though.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I think it's a bit too early to judge. I'd avoid Istanbul and Ankara. I've always thought that Turkey has something for everyone and look forward to holidaying there again with my wife and our teenage daughter for a couple of weeks in September. Won't be in a hurry to let our daughter out of our sight though.

Wise response.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Perhaps we will try it again but we like Southern Cyprus and am concerned about having a Turkish stamp on my passport if we go back there.

there are no issues in having a turkish stamp in your passport, entering the ROC. You are getting confused with TRNC (which is not part of Turkey) stamps, which used to be massively frowned upon, but now you dont even get a stamp, just a piece of paper.

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
Probably be denounced as fear mongering but I wouldn't take my family there this summer, that's for sure:

Would you holiday in France, Spain or dare I say the UK for that matter?! All deemed as 'High' risk!!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
there are no issues in having a turkish stamp in your passport, entering the ROC. You are getting confused with TRNC (which is not part of Turkey) stamps, which used to be massively frowned upon, but now you dont even get a stamp, just a piece of paper.

We was in Limassol about 5years ago and wanted to go to see Kyrenia as we had heard good reports and when we suggested it to our mate a restaurant owner he quickly said if you go there do not come back here. Mind he served in the 74 uprising. We went but didnt tell him but we were told by the Tourist Information to show our passport but keep hold of it and dont let them have it to stamp and if they insist walk away and dont go.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
About an 10 years ago. a friend of mine was an official FA observer at 2 EUFA games in Nicosea 1 north and 1 south of the border gates. He had to fly to and from Lanarka on Tuesday then fly out to Northern Cyprus from LHR on Wednesday. He wouldnt have to do that now as the border is open for visitors.

Started going to turkey in 1990 but have swerved it for a couple of years now,just been waiting for something to kick off:moo:

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Been to Turkey and Eygpt a few times. Kalkan in Turkey lovely place would return couldn't comment on the other parts of Turkey.

Couldn't stand Eygpt to many men coming up to me and the wife saying:

"Lucky man come to my restaurant"

"Lucky man? You want to live with her" was my response.

I thought it was quite funny until I said it 100 times!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here