Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Turkey no longer the fun holiday destination it used to be.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

Just to clarify, Yes to the bloke on the far left and no to the babe in the bikini beside him? :wink: attachment.jpg

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
TAKE IT FROM SOMEONE WHO IS LIVING THERE NOW....

If you are coming for a holiday you have absolutely nothing to worry about... unless perhaps if you go to certain parts of Istanbul. There is no chance at all of Turkey becoming fundamentalist... no way it'll become another Iran. If it starts going that way I'll be the first to leave and I'll let you all know. Now going for a Bomonti (the best Turkish beer) on my beach.

p.s. Those interested in conspiracy theory.... most of us think they knew about the takeover last week but decided to let it go ahead, prepared to smash it at the earliest opportunity, were able to make a few people not go ahead with the conspiracy at the last minute ensure its failure, and are now reaping the political profits of being seen as the conquering heroes for democracy. it was certainly the most incompetent military takeover in Turkish history
To be honest i think you're probably right , but it has that element of risk that i'm not willing to take with my kids , i'd probably go on my own , its a shame because it ticks all the right boxes as far as taking my kids away (water parks, all inclusive etc).

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
To be honest i think you're probably right , but it has that element of risk that i'm not willing to take with my kids , i'd probably go on my own , its a shame because it ticks all the right boxes as far as taking my kids away (water parks, all inclusive etc).

May I reccomend Northern Cyprus... there's a hotel called Nuh'un Gemisi (Noah's Ark) which is absolutely fantastic for kids. No politics there and everyone speaks English.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
May I reccomend Northern Cyprus... there's a hotel called Nuh'un Gemisi (Noah's Ark) which is absolutely fantastic for kids. No politics there and everyone speaks English.
My mate has a holiday home there, loves the place and the people , i wish i'd thought of that to be honest, but have just booked up for rhodes , which is right next door to , er turkey haha!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
My mate has a holiday home there, loves the place and the people , i wish i'd thought of that to be honest, but have just booked up for rhodes , which is right next door to , er turkey haha!

Enjoy! :)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Ok... you are right in that there are a lot of things that could be better but that's true of many countries. The last 72 hours have been very frightening believe me and we are now considering the possibility of leaving which we wouldn't have done before....but now it's a case of wait and see... for me shithole is too much though... then England is shithole, France is a shithole, US a shithole because I've seen bad places there and bad behaviour too.... politically though things have been pretty awful last three days and who knows what will happen. Still, that's for us who live here or for those who don't just come for a holiday.... in the holiday resorts you'll hardly even notice it.
I'm effect it's a Muslim country. I don't like Muslim countries.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Turkey is the place to go if you want your 15 year old daughter to be constantly pestered for sex by moustachioed waiters.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Turkey is the place to go if you want your 15 year old daughter to be constantly pestered for sex by moustachioed waiters.

Exactly. Turkey is the worst place for this. The only other place I've spent time in that treats women as bad is Dubai. It's a shame because historically Turkey is fascinating and I go there for work from time to time but living or visiting there with a female I care about? Nope.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Exactly. Turkey is the worst place for this. The only other place I've spent time in that treats women as bad is Dubai. It's a shame because historically Turkey is fascinating and I go there for work from time to time but living or visiting there with a female I care about? Nope.

Never had this problem so can't comment.... and neither has my family but I know it happens and it's not uncommon.

but compare this to two examples I had in England

Girl walking down the street when two men in a beer garden 'hey love, show us your knockers!'

At a wedding reception, an englishman to his drunk wife... 'Get up to bed you fat slag you're making an embarrassment of yourself! Now, I said, or see what you get!'

Are you going to tell me this doesn't happen?

Not sure there's much difference.....

BTW... rape cases in Turkey are on the up but they are still lower than most of Europe (however rape in marriage is not considered here and that might tilt the balance)....

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Never had this problem so can't comment.... and neither has my family but I know it happens and it's not uncommon.

but compare this to two examples I had in England

Girl walking down the street when two men in a beer garden 'hey love, show us your knockers!'

At a wedding reception, an englishman to his drunk wife... 'Get up to bed you fat slag you're making an embarrassment of yourself! Now, I said, or see what you get!'

Are you going to tell me this doesn't happen?

Not sure there's much difference.....

BTW... rape cases in Turkey are on the up but they are still lower than most of Europe (however rape in marriage is not considered here and that might tilt the balance)....

I plain don't believe you have never experienced this in Turkey. Just don't believe it.
It's Muslim's Inherant attitude to women I don't like and the lack of recourse if something does happen. At least in the UK a woman could talk back without getting imprisoned or beaten. I think your nonchalant reference to rape not being classed as such if it is committed in a marriage says it all really.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Just had a note through to say that one destination on our cruise, kusadasi has been taken off the list and we think there is either an extra night been put on in Sicily or Malta.

Not really fussed as been there twice.

Istanbul is certainly off the radar

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I plain don't believe you have never experienced this in Turkey. Just don't believe it.
It's Muslim's Inherant attitude to women I don't like and the lack of recourse if something does happen. At least in the UK a woman could talk back without getting imprisoned or beaten.

Meet my wife! If a man gives her gyp, whoever he is she gives it back... she'd slap a man if he gave her a hard time... and she's Turkish and a Muslim. For someone who says he's visited Turkey, you seem to know very few Turkish people or the ones you know are the equivalent of the men in the beer garden. Yes they exist, yes I've seen middle aged foreign women who have deliberately come to Turkey to find a young waiter being treated like this and I have a blonde Russian friend who has had to give Turkish men a hard time, just like in the Uk. If you come again, get out a bit more. It happens but it's not dangerous... rude and demeaning just like in the UK and everyone has the right to answer back... as to getting beaten or imprisoned... I know of only one case of this in Turkey and it was splashed all over the news here and highly criticised.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Ok... you are right in that there are a lot of things that could be better but that's true of many countries. The last 72 hours have been very frightening believe me and we are now considering the possibility of leaving which we wouldn't have done before....but now it's a case of wait and see... for me shithole is too much though... then England is shithole, France is a shithole, US a shithole because I've seen bad places there and bad behaviour too.... politically though things have been pretty awful last three days and who knows what will happen. Still, that's for us who live here or for those who don't just come for a holiday.... in the holiday resorts you'll hardly even notice it.

He's right you know.
Go on holiday to the south west and the places are amazing, outside Bodrum.
But some of the other things that have been mentioned make it not the ideal place to holiday that is why I said previously that I prefer Greece.
But to call Turkey a shithole is not right, there are dumps in Turkey but they exist in nearly every country especially GB (Greater Burnley)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Meet my wife! If a man gives her gyp, whoever he is she gives it back... she'd slap a man if he gave her a hard time... and she's Turkish and a Muslim. For someone who says he's visited Turkey, you seem to know very few Turkish people or the ones you know are the equivalent of the men in the beer garden. Yes they exist, yes I've seen middle aged foreign women who have deliberately come to Turkey to find a young waiter being treated like this and I have a blonde Russian friend who has had to give Turkish men a hard time, just like in the Uk. If you come again, get out a bit more. It happens but it's not dangerous... rude and demeaning just like in the UK and everyone has the right to answer back... as to getting beaten or imprisoned... I know of only one case of this in Turkey and it was splashed all over the news here and highly criticised.

Yet raping your wife is not a crime. Oh well. I go out plenty in Turkey, might be a case of the visitor seeing more than the resident.
I have travelled far and wide in many circumstances, all countries have differences , all have pros and cons, all have beauty and horror but despite this variety one thing is constant: You can judge a country by how it treats it's women and it's poor.
I have never known this universal truth to falter.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I'm effect it's a Muslim country. I don't like Muslim countries.
ive been on holiday to egypt before , met some lovely people , and anyway , casual racism and generalisation is MY job on here .

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He's right you know.
Go on holiday to the south west and the places are amazing, outside Bodrum.
But some of the other things that have been mentioned make it not the ideal place to holiday that is why I said previously that I prefer Greece.
But to call Turkey a shithole is not right, there are dumps in Turkey but they exist in nearly every country especially GB (Greater Burnley)

It wasn't so long ago that Greece was ruled by the Colonels.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Turkey is and always will be a shithole.

Only been there once but that was in 1991 and thought the same and fully understand why so many Turks want to live here. I found 2 good point plenty of sun and it was very cheap. The rest was awful, hygeine, food, people, shoddy imitation goods, sorry not for me but I am told by sons that it is a lot better now than then but I am not prepared to try it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here