Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Turkey no longer the fun holiday destination it used to be.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Both are secular countries and neither Moslem countries. Many would like them to be moslem countries but they are not.

Unfortunately as has been proved in Egypt in recent years, you have difficulty having a "secular" government in a Muslim country. That's when the Armed Forces get involved all the time.

I visited Turkey in 1982 briefly when it was being run by the military after years of chaos under civilian governments. It was a bit scary though with soldiers everywhere.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Booked for 2017. Cheap flight prices at this moment.in time.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Know some people who've gone to Izmir and Antalya recently and found it fine but know nobody who has done more than transit the airport in Istanbul - bit like Egypt a few years ago and avoiding Cairo. Of course that ended very badly with the plane bombing out of Sharm.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I know several people who are currently out there staying in Icemeler.
I'm going out there in a couple of weeks time.

Icemeler is lovely, very quaint and a beautiful coved beach. We went to Icemeler for the massive market they have there.

Was just glad to get out of neighbouring Marmaris for a day, what an utter toilet that place was.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Im living in Izmir and travelling all over... and it's all fine..... although felt the 6.3 earthquake today! Felt like Madstock all over again!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Looking at Bodrum or Antalya for a week in mid October.

Best area is Olu Deniz and Fethiye. Local Turks are more friendly in this region than Antalya. For mid October go further south to Side. Depending on your age 40's/50's look at Daylan. Laid back and stunning.

I go in 10 days time to Fethiye. Been to Turkey 9 times and nothing beats this area. Icemeler is not a patch on this area and yes i've been there.

Turkey is a wonderful place

veade

Feb 19, 2005
Boston
This is our last night in Kusadasi and it's lovely ... The Turks are just as disgusted in all
Th trouble that's around and I'll be back next year :)

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Bare in mind mid October is when the holiday season is finishing. Fethiye is a working Turkish town and open all year round

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Best area is Olu Deniz and Fethiye. Local Turks are more friendly in this region than Antalya. For mid October go further south to Side. Depending on your age 40's/50's look at Daylan. Laid back and stunning.

I go in 10 days time to Fethiye. Been to Turkey 9 times and nothing beats this area. Icemeler is not a patch on this area and yes i've been there.

Turkey is a wonderful place

I'd second that. Been to Calis (about 2 miles from Fethiye) half a dozen times.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Turkish people are usually nice, however it is geographically next to Syria. For that reason alone, it's a absolute no go country for me. Don't want my plane hit by a rogue missile ! Plus their security is not as good as Israelis
!

Just back from The Titanic in Lara Beach, Antalya. A fantastic hotel I'd recommend. I've been to Turkey about 10 times in last 20 years and always felt safe.

Problem for locals is that All Inclusive hotels have killed a lot of bars and shops, so now you're paying 15TL (£3.50) a pint where as back in the day you'd only pay 2,750,000TL (70p) for a beer (regular visitors will know what I mean)

Shops are quiet despite good quality football kits for the kids for a fiver and leather Adidas trainers for £20.

Security is incredibly tight at the airport coming home, so allow a bit of time and also be prepared for conflicting reports regarding iPads, kids DVD players etc having to go in the hold, as it's not as simple as that. Security wanted to see all our stuff before it went in the hold.

Friendly people, not just in the hotel. We're looking forward to going again next year.

blue-afro-man

Nov 25, 2013
Off to Kusadasi mid October, anyone know what the temperatures will be like, or what's on offer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here