Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you like your first name? Would you change it, if you could?

goldstone68

Aug 31, 2014
darkside
I have no problem with my first name of Arthur, it's my surname that gets to me, my dad was not really thinking or pissed at the the time and probably thought it was funny, also my middle name of Hugh is a let down too.

Yours
Mr Bollock

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I didn't like my name when I was younger but it's grown on me over time...sort of a stockholm syndrome situation I guess.

I now can't think of anything I'd rather be called as they wouldn't feel right. Unless Thor would be acceptable.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I am removing my middle name as I don't like who i was named after, however I am happy with my first name.

I know a couple of people that don't like their names so have just used a different one without changing it legally.

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
Used to work with a bloke called Lindsay who really hated his name but only changed it to Ray after his mum passed away out of respect. Mine is a bit 'Meh' but got used to it ...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I am removing my middle name as I don't like who i was named after, however I am happy with my first name.

I know a couple of people that don't like their names so have just used a different one without changing it legally.

You don't need to change your first name legally. You are able to call yourself whatever you want. For official purposes, like doctors etc, you still need to use your correct name. If you want to change your surname, then it has to be done by deed poll.

My other half uses his middle name rather than his first name. His family still use his first name.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
My first name, Andy, which I don't mind greatly, is not one of any great potency, I find. I am not a puissant person, so in that way it does fit, but I do wonder what I would be up to now if I were named Sebastian Pelecles or Dogforth McOak.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Hmm, you're correct, Gregory is a terrible name. It ranks alongside Leslie or Julian for unmanly names. They all sound like ginger kid's names.

I like my name.

Last edited:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I'm Christopher which I like but everyone calls me Chris which I like a little less. But then, when I introduce myself I always end up saying "Hi I'm Chris" so its my fault really.

I get that with Andy as people see it to be more friendly than Andrew but it annoys me intensely as I very rarely use it. My mum christened me Andrew and that's my name which i really like so why can't people understand that?

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
My name is Greg. It's short for Gregory. I hate my name. The only person who calls me Gregory is my mum when she is annoyed or telling me off!

If i could change my name I would change it to Marcus or Marc.

Does your name say something about you? My grandfather was called Archibald but he was never bald...

You can change your name... by deed poll good luck Marc / Marcus

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I get that with Andy as people see it to be more friendly than Andrew but it annoys me intensely as I very rarely use it. My mum christened me Andrew and that's my name which i really like so why can't people understand that?

My partner is called Andrew and no-one, even me, calls him or refers to him as Andy.

Conversely, my family are the only ones who do use the full version of my name - everyone else, be it Andrew, work colleagues or friends, uses a shortened version and in fact I have a policy of refusing to respond to any non-family use of the full version.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Oddly enough my little brother is called Andrew but he hates it. Much prefers Andy. Which my parents and I hate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here