Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Exodus: Our Journey to Europe - BBC2

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I won't be an economic refugee without a pot to piss in, I'm sure that all those Countries won't mind me settling in.

Personally I’d be horrified if any Brit, rich or poor, moved in next to me. Besides, I much prefer the Parisian hotty I currently have.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Out of interest what are you doing to sort out the current chaotic and confused mess that is the UK?

If he had any sense he would have voted to leave the EU, once we have left that tax avoiding, corporate cock sucking, corrupt and undemocratic shit show then the people of this country can finally hold our moribund political class to account.

Happy days.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Which is what I meant in my post, running away from problems doesn't solve them.

Agreed, venerating cowardice, selfishness, greed or a combination of these is demeaning. For the vast majority of people of this country we can tell the difference between genuine refugees and chancers.

The former is in the minority, if European countries had any sense anyone of military age (men or women) arriving should get some training and equipment, then sent back to overthrow the regime they are fleeing from.

As Roosevelt (I think) said when aiding the U.K. in WW2 if your neighbour’s house is on fire you should lend them a hose.

We can temporarily look after the 9 year olds......no problem.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If he had any sense he would have voted to leave the EU, once we have left that tax avoiding, corporate cock sucking, corrupt and undemocratic shit show then the people of this country can finally hold our moribund political class to account.

Happy days.

He doesn’t seem as angry and bitter as you though.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
He doesn’t seem as angry and bitter as you though.

I’m of an age where I know what it is like to be shat on by Tories and pissed on by Labour.

When you stink of shit and piss you tend to be a bit punchy, but I’m neither angry nor bitter.

That said the Germans’ have a sexual penchant for Brazilian caviar and tinkle-ade so maybe these days you are culturally less affected by the general shit and piss state of our politicians here and (I would add) those in Europe.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I won't be an economic refugee without a pot to piss in, I'm sure that all those Countries won't mind me settling in.

That's all very well until bank assets are frozen. Most of these refugees don't have access to their own money. They are fleeing for their lives, not for a 'better' life. I saw a clip on Breakfast tv recently about a charity running courses for Syrian doctors to be able to qualify to work in our hospitals, by getting their English up to scratch. They want to serve us.

This Syrian doctor works as an orthorpaedic surgeon in Manchester, but he also runs a charity to go to the refugee camps providing medical care.
A refugee is an economic migrant? I don't think so.

http://www.emeraldstreet.com/manchester/manchester-articles/from-manchester-to-syria-with-love/

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
That's all very well until bank assets are frozen. Most of these refugees don't have access to their own money. They are fleeing for their lives, not for a 'better' life. I saw a clip on Breakfast tv recently about a charity running courses for Syrian doctors to be able to qualify to work in our hospitals, by getting their English up to scratch. They want to serve us.

This Syrian doctor works as an orthorpaedic surgeon in Manchester, but he also runs a charity to go to the refugee camps providing medical care.
A refugee is an economic migrant? I don't think so.

http://www.emeraldstreet.com/manchester/manchester-articles/from-manchester-to-syria-with-love/

I hadn't realised all those young blokes at Calais trying to break into Lorries were DOCTORS, that puts an entirely different aspect to it....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I hadn't realised all those young blokes at Calais trying to break into Lorries were DOCTORS, that puts an entirely different aspect to it....

The young blokes at Calais are a drop in the ocean of refugees. Yes, there are some economic migrants but generally those are from Africa.

We have criminals in Brighton, but that doesn't make all Brightonians criminal.Try to look past the headlines, and read about personal stories. You may start to understand and even get compassion.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Only took two pages for the predictable to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Incredible bit of TV I thought as a first person account of a desperate journey. It was a compelling viewing which gave a real human personal account of the reality of much of the plight facing the fleeing people. Well worth tuning into. Takes a hardened heart to look at a 9 year old child staring at the sea proclaiming it is 2 faced, and not be moved by what they've gone through.

[video]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/features/magazine-36763108/36763108[/video]

Thanks for this. Will watch it this evening. I don't know the girl's story but for me, the obvious solution was always that European countries should have insisted that they only take refugees from the camps and simply send back to the camps anyone arriving in Europe by other means. Although it sounds harsh it would IMO have saved a lot of lives, it's far more co-ordinated, allows for much better checks and easier to prioritise families for resettlement here in the West. I genuinely believe we wouldn't be seeing quite so many far-right parties winning elections across Europe if it had been handled this way.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Thanks for this. Will watch it this evening. I don't know the girl's story but for me, the obvious solution was always that European countries should have insisted that they only take refugees from the camps and simply send back to the camps anyone arriving in Europe by other means. Although it sounds harsh it would IMO have saved a lot of lives, it's far more co-ordinated, allows for much better checks and easier to prioritise families for resettlement here in the West. I genuinely believe we wouldn't be seeing quite so many far-right parties winning elections across Europe if it had been handled this way.

The problem with that, is that our own government has backtracked on what they promised to do. Lord Dubs made provision for children to come from the refugee camps but only 350 have come in.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/o...in-thousands-less-than-promised-a7569691.html

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
How do you stop your own leader dropping chemical weapons on you, or prevent ISIS from taking advantage of the civil war, to wade in attacking everyone?
Your suggestion is very naive. Most people would move to a place of safety.

That is debatable.

So it’s got nothing to do with the regime change policy and supplying the hundreds of different factions of Wahhabi rebels with support, weapons and finance from the UK, US, Turkey, Saudi and Qatar ect?

I guess blaming Assad for this absolves us from our part in the destruction of Syria and makes us feel better about it, rather than having to reflect on it ourselves.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
It was novel to open this thread and see people actually discussing the topic (in this case a tv documentary) instead of a race to bottom political discussion. Shame it only took one bounce for it to dissent into vitriol and bile. Every discussion seems to end this way in the UK now and it's bloody depressing, glad I live elsewhere and avoid much of it. Trying to take part in local politics thats based on compromise and understanding (in order to get things done) is really refreshing.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
The former is in the minority, if European countries had any sense anyone of military age (men or women) arriving should get some training and equipment, then sent back to overthrow the regime they are fleeing from.

Sorry - just for clarification. Your proposal is that refugees / asylum seekers arriving unchecked in the UK, should each be given a gun and training on how to kill people?

Just checking I've understood.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
The problem with that, is that our own government has backtracked on what they promised to do. Lord Dubs made provision for children to come from the refugee camps but only 350 have come in.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/o...in-thousands-less-than-promised-a7569691.html

More children like these ?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ge-test-migrants-refugee-crisis-a7464081.html

Three in four 'child' asylum seekers are actually adults, Denmark claims

Humanitarian group says many young people don't know how old they really are

Attachments

• 30-1.jpg
    30-1.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 119
  • 30-2.jpg
    30-2.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 118
  • 30-3.jpg
    30-3.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 30-4.jpg
    30-4.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 119

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Sorry - just for clarification. Your proposal is that refugees / asylum seekers arriving unchecked in the UK, should each be given a gun and training on how to kill people?

Just checking I've understood.

Absolutely, how else will the regimes from which they are running be overthrown?

I’m absolutely positive these supremely resourceful and intelligent young men and women would jump at the chance to be professionally trained and equipped by HM Armed Forces so that they can mete out righteous justice to their oppressors. With their own brave hands and sacrifice they can then build their own Jerusalem in their own respective countries.

What friends’ of the U.K. these new beacons of democracy will be, knowing that the UK actively facilitated their homelands liberation from evil as oppose to letting them hide.

Where’s the problem?

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

How sad........still you will be pleased to know some of the poor loves are being fast tracked in.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/48882...nto-uk-is-jailed-for-a-string-of-sex-attacks/

What a relief.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here