Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FTSE100 is 10% higher than 1 month ago

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I don't think people quite understand how the financial markets work, the pound is still doing terrible and the likelihood is the FTSE has seen a rise in people purchasing the stock speculatively rather than via a sound future investment. I'd expect it to plummet when people get cold feet and pull out.

I see the Brexit campaign have gone silent on the currency situation though.

And the pound is 10% stronger!

Wow.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Remember that the FTSE plunged on the very prospect of Brexit. We're still in the EU for a couple more years at least. If this is what happens with just the idea of Brexit then I'll leave it with you to think about what will happen when (if) we leave the EU permanently. Until the Lib Dems run on a "Get us back into the EU" ticket or something!

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I don't think people quite understand how the financial markets work, the pound is still doing terrible and the likelihood is the FTSE has seen a rise in people purchasing the stock speculatively rather than via a sound future investment. I'd expect it to plummet when people get cold feet and pull out.

Yep. Plus the weakening pound is massively beneficial to 50% of the FTSE 100 as it improves their position globally.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005

Wow.

That was a try at sarcasm!

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Yep. Plus the weakening pound is massively beneficial to 50% of the FTSE 100 as it improves their position globally.

The majority of the FTSE 100 companies have a fair proportion of their interests overseas , so its not a true and just reflection of the UK Market post Brexit. The broader S&P index or Midcap index will be a better guide and are lower post Brexit as they have companies with most or all of their assets based in UK

Pintos

Jul 28, 2005
Oxted
(Taken from Bryce Edwards on today's FT Markets Live...)

I’m sorry to be tedious about this, but most of the leaderboard’s there because the $.
The FTSE’s at an 11 month high because of the $.
Note that, priced in dollars, the FTSE’s off 0.2%.
You’ll be bored by now with with the post-Brexit UK indices in dollars chart …
So instead I’ll point out that of the world’s 24 most top currencies, the FTSE 100 is lower in 23 of them.
The only way to get a positive return is to view the world in sterling.
That’s true for any reasonable investment window. Two year, 12 month, year-to-date, post Brexit, whatever.
In all of those you’re looking at around a 20 per cent loss in any currency other than Her Majesty’s Peso.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I don't think people quite understand how the financial markets work, the pound is still doing terrible and the likelihood is the FTSE has seen a rise in people purchasing the stock speculatively rather than via a sound future investment. I'd expect it to plummet when people get cold feet and pull out..

With the greatest respect you havent got a clue why its rallied, you can offer a view to fit into one scenario as others can too.

Why would these speculative investors speculate if they agreed with your view that it is likely to plummet, markets by their very nature are speculative driven, it seems that many dont agree with you and are putting their money where their mouths are, whilst you purport to offer a view as an expert on a football forum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here