Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gazza

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
He has blown every chance people have given him ?

He has Ernest -- BUT that doesn't mean you stop trying and don't offer him another one.

The problem with yer Gary Lineker's and Alan Shearer's is..........They don't want to invest their time. They are quite happy to throw money at it and say 'we tried to help' The guy is an alcoholic but most of all, he is lonely.

He needs someone to invest their time with him and not just their money. YES it will take money as well and professional help but it needs people to invest their time with him. I know those people don't have the time to spend with him because they have lives of their own to lead.

Gazza needs to want to do it himself but he doesn't seem to be able to face life without alcohol. I feel so sorry for him and that picture almost brought a tear to my eye. I really do hope people don't give up on him.

It's a bit like Amy Winehouse. The papers who grabbed their headlines through her demise are the same papers who in death sold their papers giving her tributes. I sort of fear that they are waiting for the same fate to befall Paul Gascoigne. I really do hope something or someone can turn Paul around

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Is he? Isn't he just a mentally ill man?
He is indeed.... but the media are partly to blame for wheeling him out every now and again, buffing him up, recoding an interview on the theme of recovery and rehabilitation etc... then ignoring him until the next phase in his sorry story.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
A man who had the world at his feet. What a loser

That has to be one of the most ignorant posts ever on here. The media destroyed him and continue to do so. Probably my biggest footballing hero (and being an ex-Tottenham man). So sad to see his plight. :down:

I am in total agreement with you, to call someone a loser on the basis that he is drunk is absolute crap.
I do hope that you do not know anyone in a similar demise :nono:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Gazza or not I would like to think that this country should continue to offer the best help we can.
But it does get complicated because first of all he has to want help and have the strength to see it through.
So many top sports people have gone down this route of drinking and/or betting, they need the buzz and admiration that they used to get every day.
I fear the worst for him and he will go like George Best unless something very drastic is done very soon.
I once met Malcolm Allison in a bar in Yarm, he was more or less in the same boat except that he did not have the press following him everywhere.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
As someone who suffers from the same thing as Gazza and spends a lot of time working with others who do (I'm writing this from a rehab I volunteer in) I'd ask the question "do you think anyone in their right mind would do this to themselves?" . Try thinking before you answer.

How many other people in his position get as much help and publicity for their plight as he does? He should be an inspiration to others not a bad example.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Ignorant post mate.

There's only so much you can do to help somebody. At some point Gazza needs to help himself and get himself clean. Until he is ready to do that in his head there's not alot you can do. I talk from experience(not from alcohol addiction may i add)

Sometimes you need to hit rock bottom to realize this..

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Alcoholism is just one of issues, he's always had mental health problems. I find it amazing that he's then called a loser.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There's only so much you can do to help somebody. At some point Gazza needs to help himself and get himself clean. Until he is ready to do that in his head there's not alot you can do. I talk from experience(not from alcohol addiction may i add)

Just because that was the case in your experience, doesn't mean it is in everyone's. Gazza has been sectioned before, exactly how much lower does he need to go? Mental illness is rarely as simple as just realising you've got to help yourself.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Spence what you say is so so true; however, Gazza seems to get over the addiction but he goes back there and I think thats because he is lonely.

The only work he gets now is after dinner speaking and thats usually in pubs and clubs. Thats where he finds his company to counter the loneliness but that then takes him to situations where he needs to speak publicly and he then needs alcohol to be able to do this.

I am sure he wants help but looking in from the outside it seems that after that initial help he needs the investment of time by people who can find him work that will take him away from an alcohol enviroment. I don't have an answer to this because I am not an expert in anything like that.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Alcoholism is just one of issues, he's always had mental health problems. I find it amazing that he's then called a loser.

Watched a recent documentary on Gazza. He said if he'd been booked or sent off in the 1991 FA Cup final (before he smashed his knee in later on in the match) his career might well have taken a different path. I think that injury changed his life completely and caused so much more of his mental health problems. He was never the same player after that.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Watched a recent documentary on Gazza. He said if he'd been booked or sent off in the 1991 FA Cup final (before he smashed his knee in later on in the match) his career might well have taken a different path. I think that injury changed his life completely and caused so much more of his mental health problems. He was never the same player after that.

I think going to Rangers was his downfall...................He freely admits he was attracted there because he was told the players already had in place a large social and drinking culture around the club at that time.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I think going to Rangers was his downfall...................He freely admits he was attracted there because he was told the players already had in place a large social and drinking culture around the club at that time.

Would this really happen today, with the higher professionalism and support in the game?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Spence what you say is so so true; however, Gazza seems to get over the addiction but he goes back there and I think thats because he is lonely.

The only work he gets now is after dinner speaking and thats usually in pubs and clubs. Thats where he finds his company to counter the loneliness but that then takes him to situations where he needs to speak publicly and he then needs alcohol to be able to do this.

I am sure he wants help but looking in from the outside it seems that after that initial help he needs the investment of time by people who can find him work that will take him away from an alcohol enviroment. I don't have an answer to this because I am not an expert in anything like that.

It does seem to me with all the money swimming about in football, the FA or the PFA should have the same back-up for retired players like actors do through EQUITY or whatever it is now. You often hear of old actors/actresses who can't cope being kept in homes funded by their profession. Time for footballers to cough up for the older generation who laid the base for their loadsamoney life?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here