Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

American cops killing black men

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Over 60% of the prison population is black,so with 25% of police shootings figure would this be high or low? Should be about the prison population figures as well. (figures taken off the internet so could be out)

Could be simply that the areas where there are higher crime rates / high numbers of Black individuals in prion is simply down to the fact that they are more likely to live in impoverished areas with low employment and with little state support to hep people make ends meet meaning they are more likely to turn to crime to survive and support their families?

There are areas in the States where people actually have a longer life expectancy if convicted of a crime and sentenced to death rather than stay living in their neighbourhood as it is such a dangerous place to live

Also their laws punish people with very long sentences for what can be seen as quite trivial things in other parts of the world and their 3 strikes rule has resulted in individuals being incarcerated for life. for example a man in California was sentenced to life in prison for stealing a pair of white socks worth $2.50 http://www.rollingstone.com/politic...ment-the-shame-of-three-strikes-laws-20130327

Also
A study released by the National Bureau of Economic Research found that three-strikes laws like California's, while discouraging criminals from doing things like smoking pot or shoplifting, may push those who do commit crime, to commit more violent offenses. The study's author, Radha Iyengar, argues that this is because under such laws, felons knowing they could face a long jail sentence for their next crime, have little to lose by committing serious crimes rather than minor offenses.

A 2015 study found that three-strikes laws were associated with a 33% increase in the risk of fatal assaults on law enforcement officers

If someone has committed a 3rd crime, they are more likely to fight back against the authorities in trying to escape rather than risk jail for the rest of their life. This threat means Police officers are more likely to fear an attack against them, even if stopping someone for something quite trivial as they will be unaware if the individual concerned is walking that tightrope or not so will treat everyone as someone who is likely to fight back to avoid capture (including shooting at the police as they approach them)

The reaction on several cop shooting videos seems to be that as they discover the individual either has a gun or (like the kid who was shot as mentioned earlier in this thread an imitation) fear that they will be shot at kicks in and they seemingly over react in that situation and can be quick to shoot.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
One question yet to be asked in this thread is how many police officers have been killed in the line of duty?

This is a list of American police officers killed in the line of duty. The list includes only individuals whose deaths received significant local, national, or international attention, and is not an inclusive list of all such officers killed. Summaries of the overall casualty figures, by year, are also provided .

According to the FBI, from 1980–2014, an average of 64 law enforcement officers have been feloniously killed per year. Those killed in accidents in the line of duty are not included in that number.

Overview by year
161 law enforcement officers were killed in 2010. The average from 1990-2010 was 164 per year.

The FBI reported that in 2011, "72 law enforcement officers from around the nation were killed in the line of duty, while another 53 officers died in accidents while performing their duties." NBC News reported 165 dead.

For 2012, the FBI records 49 deaths in the line of duty. The FBI Fund counted 49 federal, state and local officers to have been killed in 2012.

The Officer Down Memorial Page reports 114 deaths in the line of duty. The National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund counted 102 federal, state and local officers to have been killed in 2012. The official count from the FBI is that 27 law enforcement officers were 'feloniously' killed in the line of duty in 2013 (the lowest in a 35-year period 1980-2014), and an additional 49 died in accidents (total: 76).

The Officer Down Memorial Page reports 133 deaths in the line of duty. The National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund counted 126 federal, state, local, tribal and territorial officers killed. The preliminary count from the FBI is that 51 law enforcement officers were 'feloniously' killed in the line of duty in 2014, and an additional 44 died in accidents (total: 95).

The Officer Down Memorial Page reports 129 deaths in the line of duty. The National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund count for federal, state, local, tribal and territorial officers killed has not yet been released.

The Officer Down Memorial Page reports 58 deaths in the line of duty as of July 7. The National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund count for federal, state, local, tribal and territorial officers killed will not be released until 2017.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_police_officers_killed_in_the_line_of_duty

http://www.nleomf.org/facts/enforcement/

Then there are those who are injured in the line of duty (including those who get shot and survive, etc)

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Thats why I say its a police problem, not a race problem. He asked the guy for his license. The guy reached for it and was shot several times, even when backing away with his hands up. The training or officer selection is flawed somewhere.

I think selection, as most are probably decent.

Says a lot about the culture in the States (fear of crime and intolerance towards others) - kids are too noisy during daytime hours, so call the cops

There was a case where an Indian grandfather who didn't speak any English, visiting his son and grandson in the US who was slammed to the ground by a police officer and left partially paralysed when he didn't answer their questions and all because someone had called the cops as they had seen a tall thin black man walking around the area looking at houses from the pavement. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...dian-grandfather-into-ground-unprovoked-video - unsurprisingly the officer in question was acquitted http://www.thehindu.com/news/intern...n-grandfather-assault-case/article8108083.ece

Would the Police in this country respond to either of these 2 incidents? or would it be deemed wasting police time and the reports ignored as no crimes were being committed?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
My post refers to every year (but the quoted section from the link covers 2010 to date) and isn't just for one year like yours. And also covers how many were actually felonious deaths from the total figure (yours doesn't specify this distinction)

(however i thought i had read the whole thread when i posted that and yet somehow missed your post and too late to edit)

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
My post refers to every year (but the quoted section from the link covers 2010 to date) and isn't just for one year like yours. And also covers how many were actually felonious deaths from the total figure (yours doesn't specify this distinction)

(however i thought i had read the whole thread when i posted that and yet somehow missed your post and too late to edit)

I'm only messing. It was a point worth mentioning again and in more detail.

The police are under pressure, and they all want to make it home to their families. They all know that it could be their last day as has become the reality to the five who died today.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Spoken like a true Caucasian, thousands of miles away, in a safely Caucasian city.

You have no idea. As the father of two part-African-American teenagers, all I'll say is, you have absolutely no idea.

As a founder member of King Tafari Love Muzik Sound system, and living with a black family for 20 years, I think i do.
Of course there is a racist element. However, black officers have been guilty of the same thing. There is something wrong with
the selection process in my opinion.

Last edited:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
As a founder member of King Tafari Love Muzik Sound system, and living with a black family for 20 years, I think i do.
Of course there is a racist element. However, black officers have been guilty of the same thing. There is something wrong with

The only thing wrong is the Americans love of guns. Without that I'm sure the driver would still be alive today. The 2nd amendment has lots to answer for but they will never alter it. So can only see this happening time and again

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Video of a cop arresting a firefighter attending a crash and helping those who were injured and trapped in the vehicle

[yt]vwbbzixsdiU[/yt]

If some police officers are prepared to do things like this to people working for the emergency services and who are responding to an incident, what chance do ordinary Americans have?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Its all very sad, but if black people had a reputation of just getting their driving licence out of their pocket instead of a gun, none of this would have happened.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing

That's amazing. It's like Ali G has come alive.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
and why is that?

Seriously? You're a middle aged white bloke who likes reggae and a bit of puff. Don't for a single second try and make out that you feel "the struggle" of being black. I don't either, but I wouldn't try and back up a comment such as yours with such laughable credentials!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Seriously? You're a middle aged white bloke who likes reggae and a bit of puff. Don't for a single second try and make out that you feel "the struggle" of being black. I don't either, but I wouldn't try and back up a comment such as yours with such laughable credentials!

I lived in a black family for over 20 years. Trust me. I understand what racism is.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Its all very sad, but if black people had a reputation of just getting their driving licence out of their pocket instead of a gun, none of this would have happened.

Not sure it is just black people pulling guns? and the issue of why people decide to shoot at cops rather than accept punishment needs to be explored (length of sentence, etc......)

However these [warning disturbing content] videos below is possibly why cops are nervous and quick to shoot in these sorts of situation:
[yt]G5pgZ0yq1-E[/yt]
[yt]0K2-NEo3NVU[/yt]

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here