Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Well Done Wales

Mr Bronson

Feb 24, 2009
The last time England did anything really useful was Euro 96. It was no coincidence that this was the year of the dentist chair and the vilification of the team by the UK press. They bonded and generated a team spirit. Look at the Netherlands who serially underachieve. Training camp fights and on pitch arguments. No team spirit. This comes down to management. We have had a series of "managers" who can talk a great game but have had zero ability to pull together a group of individuals a make them a team. I hate to say it (and I'm going to have to have a shower after this) but maybe it's time for a footballing Neanderthal like Alerdyce.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I am with you Allerdicci

The last time England did anything really useful was Euro 96. It was no coincidence that this was the year of the dentist chair and the vilification of the team by the UK press. They bonded and generated a team spirit. Look at the Netherlands who serially underachieve. Training camp fights and on pitch arguments. No team spirit. This comes down to management. We have had a series of "managers" who can talk a great game but have had zero ability to pull together a group of individuals a make them a team. I hate to say it (and I'm going to have to have a shower after this) but maybe it's time for a footballing Neanderthal like Alerdyce.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

I thought Hoddle did ok, and I still think he could do a job.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Yep. I was only saying yesterday the last two great tournaments was 90 and 96 and the players went on the piss before and I think during 1990. It bonded the players and created a mean team ethic.

It's so depressing. Look at the 96 side. Leaders EVERYWHERE. Adams. Ince. Pearce. Seaman. Shearer. Sheringham. None of those would stand for this shower of pampered softies.

England. The only side there with insane security whilst the Italians mingle in the town. Hmmm.

Nothing will change. They plainly just don't care.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
My era is "Do the Brontosaurus"

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;7495918 said:
If you're browsing for English Dinosaurs surely you'd have to give the Redknappasaurus a sniff?

Yep. I was only saying yesterday the last two great tournaments was 90 and 96 and the players went on the piss before and I think during 1990. It bonded the players and created a mean team ethic.

It's so depressing. Look at the 96 side. Leaders EVERYWHERE. Adams. Ince. Pearce. Seaman. Shearer. Sheringham. None of those would stand for this shower of pampered softies.

England. The only side there with insane security whilst the Italians mingle in the town. Hmmm.

Well we drew with the swiss:ffsparr: Beat the jocks by one goal??? Then the highlight ripped the dutch apart:smile: then squeezed past the spanish on pens:moo: before going out to the Germans:shootself One cracking performance in the whole tourno:whistle:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not quite sure that theory holds water.I give you Germany,Italy,France and normally Spain.Always top seeds, rarely tested against other top countries but consistently perform.

I was talking about England specifically: our record in knockout matches over the past couple of decades is dreadful. I obviously don't think it's the whole story - the reasons for England's many failures are varied and complex - but I wonder if there's an element of it.

Spain though is an interesting one: until recently, they had a dreadful record in tournaments even though they qualified for pretty much every one. They turned it round so, in theory, it could be possible.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham

Ince? Led so well when it came to taking Penalties.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here