Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace have just bid £31.5 million for a player

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I am hugely uncomfortable with anyone earning that type of money...as said before if it was not for my 45 year supporting of Palace I would walk away from the game never to look back.

I don't blame you.

Unfortunately, I fear the money swilling around the top tiers of the English game is a genie that can't be put back into the bottle.

I recommend reading Das Reboot by Raphael Honigstein- an interesting insight into how Germany reformed its national football development scheme following a flop at the 2002 (?) World Cup. Fourteen years on, they're World Champions and contenders for the European title, with a stream of talented younger players coming through each year.

English football, regrettably, seems to lack even one single individual with either the balls or the vision to step up and put something in place for the long term like Germany did (albeit with initial resistance from some quarters). The clubs and people at the FA/ Premier League are only interested in making more and more and more money from TV. And so it spirals, greedily, ever outwards, like some vast Magellanic cloud expanding through the infinity of space. Perhaps one day a black hole will appear, and the whole lot will implode. I fear we're decades away from that though.

When's the next TV deal up for negotiation?

drevil_cover.jpg

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Do you really want to play mis-spelling club names CPFC G? It's not going to go well for you...

t-shirt-2.jpg

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
"Palace have agreed a £31million fee with Marseille but the race for Michy Batshuayi not quite over. "

"Batshuayi to reject Palace as he waits for bigger club despite Marseilles accepting £30m bid"

"The more people you talk to, the more it appears Palace have been used by Batshuayi and co. Bold move to bid, but seems impossible."

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i think thats kinda the point, its all getting a bit silly. you'd think they could put the money to use elsewhere.
you only have to look at the England international set up to see how fuk tup the whole scene is.....a load of piss weak nancy boys on 150k a week and they're all shit.....joe hart wouldn't catch ebola.....haven't got a decent pair between em ...bereft of clues they are , which can only come down to piss poor management.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I am hugely uncomfortable with anyone earning that type of money...as said before if it was not for my 45 year supporting of Palace I would walk away from the game never to look back.

are you fukin lost or what ...is your board so shit you need be on ours ..........feck ark...there's a good lad/slag/tart/goat/pickey.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
It's got to be soul destroying being a supporter of a top French club (PSG excepted, as they have Qatari billions behind them) and knowing that even the relegation fodder of the EPL have the money to walk up and make an offer they can't refuse for their best players. Surprised Bournemouth haven't come in for Zlatan Ibrahimovic yet.

"Palace? Qui le **** sont Palace?"

Perfect place for Zlatan's retirement-looks like it's not far off.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
WTF is wrong with some of you lot?

Had the Albion been able to beat Burnley and/or 'boro they'd currently be shopping for a top flight striker.
Guess how much one of them costs, esp after receiving a £200m windfall.

palace aren't heading back into admin.
Sure they'll be there straight after Sky, but not before.

£30m is chicken feed to them, anyone thinking otherwise is delusional.

Last edited:

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
To be honest after watching that s**t load of Premier League players disgrace England last night, don't think I am now interested in what they cost and what they earn.

When they prove their worth by winning an international trophy or two, I might take a little interest in them again. Won't be holding my breath though!!!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
WTF is wrong with some of you lot?

Had the Albion been able to beat Burnley and/or 'boro they'd currently be shopping for a top flight striker.
Guess how much one of them costs, esp after receiving a £200m windfall.

palace aren't heading back into admin.
Sure they'll be there straight after Sky, but not before.

£30m is chicken feed to them, anyone thinking otherwise is delusional.

£31.5m is two and half times their current record transfer fee. Only the big six, City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs & Liverpool have ever spent £30m on a player. These are the only six clubs that can confidently do their business with little consideration of contingencies should they be one of the unlucky three to get relegated. Although the new TV deal will inflate the amounts involved, the risks are still the same as those currently being faced by Bolton, if you have spent well beyond your means whilst in the top division, you need a good exit strategy upon relegation, or you will suffer with fixed costs that your revenue will not cover.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
I'd rather the £30 m be set aside to help us when administration 3 comes calling .

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
are you fukin lost or what ...is your board so shit you need be on ours ..........feck ark...there's a good lad/slag/tart/goat/pickey.

No not lost, its just there is more Palace threads on this board :)

Sometimes in life its good to hear someone else's views and when you do you can ignore them , keep silent or voice a considered reply. To swear and curse at them is not very bright and I am sure you are better than that ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
£31.5m is two and half times their current record transfer fee. Only the big six, City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs & Liverpool have ever spent £30m on a player. These are the only six clubs that can confidently do their business with little consideration of contingencies should they be one of the unlucky three to get relegated.
But you're mixing old money with new.
I think if we review those numbers in September it'll look very different.
palace won't be the only team spending twice their previous transfer record.

Although the new TV deal will inflate the amounts involved, the risks are still the same as those currently being faced by Bolton, if you have spent well beyond your means whilst in the top division, you need a good exit strategy upon relegation, or you will suffer with fixed costs that your revenue will not cover.
All very true, but then again palace won just 2 games after Christmas and still comfortably stayed up.
To avoid relegation a team just needs to be the 4th worst in the division.
Or to put it another way, averaging 1 point a game will comfortably see you remain on the gravy train.

palace aren't just in a different division to the Albion, they are playing a completely different sport.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
No chance of this happening.
This is only an agreement between the clubs with allows the French side to confirm what the transfer fee to the other diutors.
West Ham have already bid but Spurs are now favourites.
They expect to get cheaper as they will get agreement with the player.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here