Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v Iceland 8pm

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Agree, for the first time ever not even that upset to be knocked out of a major tournament ........France would have beaten us easily anyway even if we scraped through......sitting in an empty pub which has always been heaving for England tournament games kind of sums it up...has there been a worst June ever all in all??
Watch Iceland give France a game - I would expect the French to win but they are pours at the back, just like England.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Wilderness years for England now fans lost interest, players do not care, lack of credible managers and next up a qualification campaign for a tournament nobody with an ounce of sense would be interested in travelling to

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Not sure he will? His contract is up, so in effect he won't be "sacked" he just won't have his contract renewed.

Whatever, he has gone now, I am not a youngster and have seen many disappointments in sport, but I really am struggling to beat tonight's, its not the losing and going out of the competition, I can handle that, its how they did (or didn't) it, truly shocking, and do you know what, I feel so much for all the people who have paid out a vast amount of money to go and see this lack of passion.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Too much money, not enough hunger and a belief that they are better than they are. We'd be no worse playing third and fourth division players in the national team.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Spain went out today in a bit of a whimper - they are starting to face the same issues as England as the money is dominating there as well. It is worth noting that the one standout team in Spain at the moment is Athletico where Simeone does not tolerate prima donnas and big money players - and a lot of his team are not Spanish,

Italian football is in serious crisis because there is no money - Conte has shown to be a good manager by getting the best from what he has - the main Italian striker couldn't get a game at Sunderland. The backbone of the Italian team are the Juve defence - and they are all over 30 and won't be around for long more.

The globalisation of football is leading to club football dominating over international football and money is determining everything - and Sky's money is wrecking football in England.

Last country - Germany - football in Germany is organised differently to the rest of the world in who owns the teams, how the game is organised and how it is funded. Germany are streets ahead of the rest of Europe in how they run their football and that is why their national team is always near the top and why their club teams always do well.

France have some good players but most of those are not actually French - they come from French colonies and usually from very poor backgrounds who see football as a way out of poverty and learn their football on the streets rather than a PlayStation.

There is a levelling of international football and teams like Iceland will pop up regularly and outplay the likes of England. If you really want to see a minnow - look up the results of the Faroe Islands - a country with a population of 15,000 people - over the past ten or so years - and you will see how a team first mentality can compete with monied football.

Spain won the European Championships in 2008 and 2012, and the World Cup in 2010.

I looked up the Faroe Island results, they lost 8 out of 10 in Euro 2016 qualifying, 9 out of 10 WC 2014, 8 out of 10 Euro 2012, 8 out of 10 in WC 2010, and 12 out of 12 in Euro 2008.

So your team first mentality in last ten years delivered 45 defeats in 52 games.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Oh another note, I spotted Mr Blobby on tv.

Ever the optimist, Mark's probably already moved on and is looking forward to England's World Cup 2018 home and away qualifiers.

He and the other diehards deserve so much more than they get back for their troubles following England.

I hope they get some decent sightseeing in before returning since there wasn't much worth watching this evening.

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Whatever, he has gone now, I am not a youngster and have seen many disappointments in sport, but I really am struggling to beat tonight's, its not the losing and going out of the competition, I can handle that, its how they did (or didn't) it, truly shocking, and do you know what, I feel so much for all the people who have paid out a vast amount of money to go and see this lack of passion.
That and the piss taking you'll be facing at work tomorrow!

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Seriously, why don't you just fvck off?

He's enjoying himself and you're being a t**t. This is an Albion forum, not an England forum. Go boo in the corner if you're really that bothered about the performance of that shower of sh1te.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
22:40

Statement from The Football Association:

Like the nation, we are disappointed to lose this evening and that our run in Euro 2016 has come to a premature end. We had high hopes of progressing through to the latter stages of the competition and accept that we have not met our own expectations or those of the country.

We back Roy Hodgson’s decision to step down as England manager and will discuss next steps imminently.

For now, we congratulate Iceland for reaching the quarter final and wish them well against France at the weekend.

Finally, our sincere thanks go to the travelling fans for their incredible support tonight and to everyone back home for getting behind the team.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Ever the optimist, Mark's probably planning his World Cup 2018 away qualifiers already.

He and the other diehards deserve so much more than they get back for their troubles following England home and away.

I hope they get some decent sightseeing in before returning since there wasn't much worth watching this evening.

Unfortunately they get exactly what they deserve. If they stopped going to every England game for a couple of seasons, blindly following perennial underachievers, maybe the English players would start focusing on their skills instead of the bling.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
22:40

Statement from The Football Association:

Like the nation, we are disappointed to lose this evening and that our run in Euro 2016 has come to a premature end. We had high hopes of progressing through to the latter stages of the competition and accept that we have not met our own expectations or those of the country.

We back Roy Hodgson’s decision to step down as England manager and will discuss next steps imminently.

For now, we congratulate Iceland for reaching the quarter final and wish them well against France at the weekend.

Finally, our sincere thanks go to the travelling fans for their incredible support tonight and to everyone back home for getting behind the team.

No news of getting my life back after watching england for 50 years :moo:

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Trying to find the word(s)....abject? Risible? Incompetent?
I think I will go with shite, after much soul Searching :)

Top half of the Championship would fancy themselves against Iceland (and Hungary, both Iirish teams etc). Long throw? A freaking long throw ffs! Wtf are those guys doing instead of preparing to face their next opponents.

Woeful...oh I quite like that. Maybe I'll go with woeful instead of shite...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here