Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best New Order album

Best New Order albums (can choose 3 max)

• Movement

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Power, Corruption and Lies

Votes: 33 35.5%
  • Low-Life

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • Brotherhood

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Technique

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Get Ready

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • Republic

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Wiating for the Sirens' Call

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Lost Sirens

• Music Complete

• Total voters

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Am I imagining things or is there a different version of 1963 on the original tapes and CD to the re-issues? Right at the end I could swear that the words are slightly different in the later versions to the first.
Possibly - I haven't heard the reissues more than once or twice.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Oo I like this game. My immediate reaction was any of these

Dreams Never End
Sunrise
Thieves Like Us

Probably Thieves Like Us if pushed. I do like a long intro.

Album: Power Corruption & Lies (this week) albeit the final three song sequence on Technique is quite wonderful.

I can't believe I left out Dreams Never End from my list :eek:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Anyone else recall the New Order VHS video compilation that came out in about 1990 when they stuck a little cut scene into Bizarre Love Triangle? Go to 2 min 37 secs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkOr12AQpnU

Don't know why but that has stuck with me ever since. And how did they get that dog to balance on a tennis ball in the Blue Monday 88 video?

*Yes, I'm a sad New Order anorak.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
This thread got me thinking about the last NO track I truly loved. Think it was this:

A rare latter day gem. Nice intro too.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Anyone else recall the New Order VHS video compilation that came out in about 1990 when they stuck a little cut scene into Bizarre Love Triangle? Go to 2 min 37 secs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkOr12AQpnU

Don't know why but that has stuck with me ever since. And how did they get that dog to balance on a tennis ball in the Blue Monday 88 video?

*Yes, I'm a sad New Order anorak.

Still got this in a box somewhere with nothing to play it on .....the cut scene was really annoying,completely ruined my fantastic moves

Low Life wins it
Starts with love vigilantes,their greatest song (one of lifes mysteries why that was never released as a single)
Ends with face up....another thing of beauty

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The 2015 Complete Music album was a let-down but the remix album is much better IMO. There is also a singles album due out this year that looks very promising.

As an aside, how many side project bands have there been? There's Peter Hook with Monaco, Bernard with Electronic and the other two with The Other Two. Were there any others that they played major parts in rather than guested on a song or two?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The 2015 Complete Music album was a let-down but the remix album is much better IMO. There is also a singles album due out this year that looks very promising.

As an aside, how many side project bands have there been? There's Peter Hook with Monaco, Bernard with Electronic and the other two with The Other Two. Were there any others that they played major parts in rather than guested on a song or two?

I remember someone telling me many years ago one of the other two :) did some drumming for the bunnymen, no idea if its true,probably some muso telling me a porkie that i have no way of veryfying

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Best intro: - Round & Round 12", although that then asks the question "What is an intro?" as nearly 2 minutes seems a bit excessive! Or Thieves Like Us Instrumental ("Come in") or Dreams Never end.

Who remembers them playing in the BBC basement Live on BBC2 in 1984 when the Beeb were having a day of music thingy? I see all tracks from that are on YouTube except Temptation, which was superb, has now been removed. Bernard was off his tits on something and they ended up playing a version of In a Lonely Place that was at least twice it's normal speed. As ever, Hooky and Steve were holding it all together. That version of Temptation was brilliant though and it is a disaster that the video has been removed. Oh well.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
I've gone for Technique, but Fine Time was a load of old tosh. I don't really think they ever did a truly great album as their best work was always done on 12" singles and EP's and the versions of those tracks on the albums always paled in comparison (Round & Round is a good example as is Bizarre Love Triangle).

But Mr Hook will never eclipse the work he did with Joy Division and earlyish New Order and as far as I am concerned, New Order are just another band without him.

Yeah that is a good point :bowdown:

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Voted for Technique - but need to listen to about 5 other of their albums yet. Love listening to it, although makes me yearn for a holiday.

As someone else had noted - is there any other album with a better last 3 tracks? Sublime.

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
Who remembers them playing in the BBC basement Live on BBC2 in 1984 when the Beeb were having a day of music thingy? I see all tracks from that are on YouTube except Temptation, which was superb, has now been removed. Bernard was off his tits on something and they ended up playing a version of In a Lonely Place that was at least twice it's normal speed. As ever, Hooky and Steve were holding it all together. That version of Temptation was brilliant though and it is a disaster that the video has been removed. Oh well.

Without doubt my favourite New Order performance ever. They were in the middle of a UK tour at the time and had played in St Austell. They had a day off before the BBC appearance, but opted to stay in Cornwall and travel to London on the day. They got stuck in traffic, and only arrived at the studio with less than an hour to set up. It was a baking hot Bank Holiday weekend and all their equipment had got too hot in the van so none of it worked properly which meant they couldn't play their intended set list. Also they'd never performed using headphones instead of monitors before.

As for best album, it's always been PC&L for me.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Without doubt my favourite New Order performance ever. They were in the middle of a UK tour at the time and had played in St Austell. They had a day off before the BBC appearance, but opted to stay in Cornwall and travel to London on the day. They got stuck in traffic, and only arrived at the studio with less than an hour to set up. It was a baking hot Bank Holiday weekend and all their equipment had got too hot in the van so none of it worked properly which meant they couldn't play their intended set list. Also they'd never performed using headphones instead of monitors before.

As for best album, it's always been PC&L for me.

Thanks! I vaguely remember hearing that story before about them being late getting to the studio. I had that performance on video for ages, but then it got wiped. Disaster! Was that the tour that ended with them playing at Heaven in London? I think that was 1984.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Am I imagining things or is there a different version of 1963 on the original tapes and CD to the re-issues? Right at the end I could swear that the words are slightly different in the later versions to the first.
Have now got the MP3 version of Substance that's on Amazon Prime - haven't got as far as '1963' yet but definitely a different (and worse) version of 'Ceremony' (to my ears anyway :) ).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As I have the privilege of sharing a gym with our Hooky on a regular basis, thought I would let him know what the COOLEST kids in the country think was the best studio album from New Order, (exl

Hooky in the gym? Does it have topless bar service for those in the jacuzzi?

You missed 'best of' volume from the early 90s. That'll do me. And this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPIjPWgKW2M

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I would have to say "The Best of New Order" or possibly "New Orders Greatest Hits"

Sent by 2 old baked bean cans and a piece of string

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here