Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best New Order album

Best New Order albums (can choose 3 max)

• Movement

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Power, Corruption and Lies

Votes: 33 35.5%
  • Low-Life

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • Brotherhood

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Technique

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Get Ready

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • Republic

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Wiating for the Sirens' Call

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Lost Sirens

• Music Complete

• Total voters

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Massive Nu-Ordah fan.

For me, they haven't released an awful lot worthy of note since the 80s, though Music Complete was very good.

My favourite 'album' (although it's really a mini-album/EP) isn't on your list. It's the Factus-8 compilation, otherwise known as 1981-1982. Initially only released in the US. It's the bridge between Movement and PCL and is from the New Order era I really love. They were just moving away from Joy Division and discovering their own electronic sound. Three absolute classics on there - Temptation (the superb original 12" version), Everything's Gone Green and Procession. For years it was only available on CD on import but I think you can get it here now. Even though it doesn't contain the great 'Cries and Whispers', a track which orginally appeared as a b-side to one of the above, it's still my favourite New Order release (aside from Ceremony/In a Lonely Place!)

As for the actual albums:

Movement was a bit of a post- and sub-JD dirge with awful production (Hannet was a complete acid-casualty by then)
PCL was Blue Monday in album form, love it - the best on that list.
Low-Life - second/third. Some great individual tracks, let down by Subculture, which was a bit like a lot of their mid-80s singles, irritating hook with bad lyrics.
Brotherhood - written and recorded in a hurry and sounds like it. Way too much filler.
Technique - second/third. Ibiza-fuelled party album with some great tunes.
Republic - Meh, apart from Regret (perhaps the last truly great New Order single).
Get Ready - Nope. Crystal wasn't bad though.
Sirens - Nope
Music Complete - A return to form. Was just listening to it sitting in the sun at lunchtime today. Great music for this weather, though personally a little too dance-orientated for my taste.

Big up for the Substance compilation too. collects all the 80s a and b-sides, including True Faith, the 12" version of Perfect Kiss, etc

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Big up for the Substance compilation too. collects all the 80s a and b-sides, including True Faith, the 12" version of Perfect Kiss, etc

Allegedly created because Tony Wilson had just got a car CD player and wanted to be able to listen to them.

Sirens was woeful but the supporting tour was still decent enough. Did some gigs after deciding to go without Hook - I'd booked Brixton before they announced a Dublin gig so did both anyway; and we got a vague hint of the hotel they were staying in. One of our group at the gig is senior in a major US multinational and blagged us all in to the residents bar of said hotel (where she spent a few hundred grand a year), where they were.

Far from being pissed off at having their quiet post gig drink invaded, they invited us over and had no problem chatting for hours - with everyone else, as I got a crippling headache and had to go for a taxi after about 30mins :(

edit: I thought they'd mentioned it on their website and they did: http://www.neworder.com/newordernow/?currentPage=14 I'd been granted a Vikings badge with marginally too few gigs because I'd travelled to UK ones.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Latest album is superb. Love Sirens too, some really good tunes on that.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So, I'm always fascinated with where creative inspiration comes from. Saw a brilliant BBC Four documentary on the history of bass at the weekend, and learned from Peter Hook that while recording Power, Lies and Corruption, they were watching old westerns, including A Few Dollars More.

Go to 2:12 and you might recognise where the bass riff on a certain hit song came from...

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
It’s a tie between PC&L and Low Life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thanks! I vaguely remember hearing that story before about them being late getting to the studio. I had that performance on video for ages, but then it got wiped. Disaster! Was that the tour that ended with them playing at Heaven in London? I think that was 1984.

Yes. As they didn’t visit Brighton, we went to their penultimate gig at Portsmouth Guildhall. The greatest gig any of us ever went to by any band. Apparently, so good, they even mention it in their autobio’s.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As I have the privilege of sharing a gym with our Hooky on a regular basis, thought I would let him know what the COOLEST kids in the country think was the best studio album from New Order, (exl

Tell him that whoever wrote the lyrics should be shot.

It was January, nineteen-sixty-three
When Johnny came home with a gift for me
He said I bought it for you because I love you
And I bought it for you 'cause it's your birthday, too
He was so very nice, he was so very kind
To think of me at this point in time
I used to think of him, he used think of me

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
Yes. As they didn’t visit Brighton, we went to their penultimate gig at Portsmouth Guildhall. The greatest gig any of us ever went to by any band. Apparently, so good, they even mention it in their autobio’s.

Some over-zealous fans spotted Hooky's Granada leaving and followed him away from the gig. He's talked in the past about feeling threatened and put his foot down which led to a low level chase out of the city. Unfortunately the fans car ended up leaving the road and Hooky vowed that New Order would never play Portsmouth again. Thus far, they haven't (although Hooky has a couple of times with Monaco).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here