Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is a 2nd referendum a genuine possibility?

D

Deleted User X18H

This is the most pathetic thing I have ever heard.

All the previously sanctimonious and smug remainers are now grizzling as they didn't get their own way.

And what if we do ? And it's to remain.

And the Brexiters want a 3rd referendum ? What then?

Next goal wins it ?

Get a grip!!!

mickybha

Jan 2, 2010
1975 after EU referendum defeat ..Industry Secretary Tony Benn, said: "When the British people speak everyone, including members of Parliament, should tremble before their decision and that's certainly the spirit with which I accept the result of the referendum."

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Am I wrong but I thought that this referendum was only to determine the wishes of the people but it was not obligatory for the government to carry it out, a lttle foolish not to carry it out but an option if they so desired.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Am I wrong but I thought that this referendum was only to determine the wishes of the people but it was not obligatory for the government to carry it out, a lttle foolish not to carry it out but an option if they so desired.

.. and it fascinating that potentially a new government could be elected with a mandate not to withdraw. It's gong to get very messy and we probably end up more in than out.

Quite ignorant to think that by voting leave you would make up Friday morning "out of the EU".

The question was too black and white and has split the country down the middle. All sorts of ramifications which is why those "little Englanders" in Gibraltar voted so strongly to remain in.

That's a honest question I'd ask the leavers - are you now happy for Gibraltar to come under Spanish control ?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
The petition - https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215 - is over 1.6m when I signed and climbing quickly.

This won't work but it will keep the thing bubbling. Yes, there is a sore loser about it but the thing surely is that a matter as meaty as this should not have been decided without a reasonable majority for change, certainly more than four points.

More important, look ahead to this scenario:

Brexit government - I'll call it Boris for short - makes out it will get a deal beforehand and breezes into Brussels in October and says we are out but before we press Article 50 button we would quite like to get agreement on post exit.

Brussels says FO to Boris - sign Article 50 and then we'll negotiate.

Impasse: Brussels has a problem because it wants a quick and dirty so as to reduce contagion threat; Boris has a problem because he is on a promise but he knows that once A50 is signed all the cards are on the other side of the table.

A fan of possibilities from here, as Brussels is keen on making up rules as it goes along but my instinct is they will be tough. So Boris then has to either roll over or play chicken. If he rolls over then there is a chance that parliament will say, hold on here we ain't going to approve A50 (only they can and there is a large inbuilt majority of Remainers in Commons) without some idea of what post Brexit looks like. THEN, an election or rerun is possible.

All very theoretical, and perhaps hopeful, but I dont think it is quite game over yet.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The petition - https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215 - is over 1.6m when I signed and climbing quickly.

This won't work but it will keep the thing bubbling. Yes, there is a sore loser about it but the thing surely is that a matter as meaty as this should not have been decided without a reasonable majority for change, certainly more than four points.

Brexit government - I'll call it Boris for short - makes out it will get a deal beforehand and breezes into Brussels in October and says we are out but before we press Article 50 button we would quite like to get agreement on post exit.

Impasse: Brussels has a problem because it wants a quick and dirty so as to reduce contagion threat; Boris has a problem because he is on a promise but he knows that once A50 is signed all the cards are on the other side of the table.

A fan of possibilities from here, as Brussels is keen on making up rules as it goes along but my instinct is they will be tough. So Boris then has to either roll over or play chicken. If he rolls over then there is a chance that parliament will say, hold on here we ain't going to approve A50 (only they can and there is a large inbuilt majority of Remainers in Commons) without some idea of what post Brexit looks like. THEN, an election or rerun is possible.

All very theoretical, and perhaps hopeful, but I dont think it is quite game over yet.

Makes you wonder why we had a referendum. I did not realise that if the result and vote was not in some peoples favour, we would keep going until it is....

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Not adhering to a democratic vote could destroy democracy. The only people who would think that acceptable are leftie luvvies & the establishment (house of lords)

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011

Remainers are pushing something which would bring massive civil unrest and possibly very violent riots. Is this what they want?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

They will not negotiate until Article 50 is invoked. They will not negotiate with deputies or outgoing leaders - it's got to be the main man or woman. Some in leave wanted Article 50 invoked after the 2020 General Election. The EU will play hard, but fair, but the longer this drags out the more hard they will get. Who blinks first?

Parliament hasn't played it's part yet in all this. There would be uproar, but as the majority of MP's backed 'remain' this advisory referendum could yet be voted against.

Can anyone be certain that the house of commons will approve invoking Article 50?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

What a load of old tosh, just proves what bad losers remain are. We had a vote and leave won by 1.3 Million votes not thirteen but 1.3 Million. I'm sure you wouldn't be asking for a re-nag if BHA had won promotion by 4pts because it was unfair to the other teams .... unbeleivable

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
What a load of old tosh, just proves what bad losers remain are. We had a vote and leave won by 1.3 Million votes not thirteen but 1.3 Million. I'm sure you wouldn't be asking for a re-nag if BHA had won promotion by 4pts because it was unfair to the other teams .... unbeleivable

I admitted that but was also answering the question whether a second referendum is a possibility. There is no equivalance with football. I accepted BHA's fate a lot more readily than many NSCers.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Their last one they voted to end free movement.
Hasnt been implemented yet because the EU said we dont like that outcome.(ie screw your referendum)

We have voted to leave after camerons negotiations and the great new deal he said he had negotiated
best make the most of it and plough ahead,no need for more referendums on the outcomes of further negotiations.....where would it end?

So you wouldn't want another say on the basis of the negotiations then? What if the settlement includes remaining a member of the common market but still includes free movement for which the UK may have to pay a hefty fee ala Norway, for example? There are so many different options now, none of which were discussed in this referendum, that another referendum would seem extremely likely and desirable to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here