Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brexit SPREADS across Europe:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There's a majority in the Netherlands in favour of leaving also (if the polls can be believed!).One of the original 6 members. A cataclysmic event if it happens.

MOre wishful thinking from the English pull-up-the-drawbridge brigade, but sadly it's not true:

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archiv...itish-vote-to-leave-the-eu-how-about-a-nexit/

"Most opinion polls show that while there is a lot of support for a referendum in the Netherlands, there is majority support for continued membership of the EU."

If any more than one other country quits the EU in the next 10-15 years, it would be astonishing.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Would be far more astonishing if it didn't happen.

I think a lot depends on whether or not the EU is interested in reforming itself. If the EU continue to ignore the electorate of wealthy net contributors who are fed up with the consequence of uncontrolled free movement of labour, then you could well be right, but I would expect reform. I am genuinely worried that by unilaterally exiting the EU, we are going to be left out in the economic cold. This was all so avoidable, IMO.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
MOre wishful thinking from the English pull-up-the-drawbridge brigade, but sadly it's not true:

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archiv...itish-vote-to-leave-the-eu-how-about-a-nexit/

"Most opinion polls show that while there is a lot of support for a referendum in the Netherlands, there is majority support for continued membership of the EU."

If any more than one other country quits the EU in the next 10-15 years, it would be astonishing.
Most opinion polls? Where have I seen these before in our two previous elections???

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
I think a lot depends on whether or not the EU is interested in reforming itself. If the EU continue to ignore the electorate of wealthy net contributors who are fed up with the consequence of uncontrolled free movement of labour, then you could well be right, but I would expect reform. I am genuinely worried that by unilaterally exiting the EU, we are going to be left out in the economic cold. This was all so avoidable, IMO.

Not so sure the EU will be in place to keep us out as a trade bloc that we know it as . Me thinks they will either allow us on favourable terms or you will see other nations leave . Denmark especially , But if a founder member like the Dutch go , then its goodnight to the Union

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Think the EU is going to have to take long hard look at itself and acknowledge that GB voters fears are in no way unique and are shared by the voters of just about every solvent nation state within the EU.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

Certainly was avoidable unfortunately Cameron's recent attempt at a revised membership showed their appetite for serious reform and our lack of ability to influence at Europes top table.

That deal should have been the cornerstone of the remain campaign and a show of strength to our electorate that their concerns can be heard and addressed in Europe. It speaks volumes that this deal was barely mentioned behind the scaremongering

The EU needs reform whether it chooses to acknowledge this remains to be seen and if they do not I can see this being the start of a few other exits

The sad fact is if we could have achieved some stronger assurances over increased immigration control a revised membership would have won at a canter

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not so sure the EU will be in place to keep us out as a trade bloc that we know it as . Me thinks they will either allow us on favourable terms or you will see other nations leave . Denmark especially , But if a founder member like the Dutch go , then its goodnight to the Union

I fear you are being too optimistic, but obviously hope you're right. And it doesn't really follow that if the Dutch went, that was that

At least we're not going to have to contribute to the dreadful CAP and our fishing waters might now be protected from the over-fishing Spanish.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Wouldn't it have been better to have a full and frank meeting in the EU about immigration and the Euro, then make reforms according to the needs of the EU nations rather than the whole of the EU facing 5 years of economic meltdown as countries exit one by one, making things progressively worse for all concerned in the short to medium term?

D

Deleted member 22389

You would think senior members of the EU would be on the first plane today, asking us what concessions this country needs in order to make us stay. I would actually be satisfied with that.
All they are interested in is saving face and making sure other countries don't get any ideas. The EU doesn't reform unfortunately and is one of the reasons I voted Leave. It shouldn't be about men in suits, it should be about the people.

Last edited by a moderator:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Wouldn't it have been better to have a full and frank meeting in the EU about immigration and the Euro, then make reforms according to the needs of the EU nations rather than the whole of the EU facing 5 years of economic meltdown as countries exit one by one, making things progressively worse for all concerned in the short to medium term?

Yes. This referendum hasn't been very well thought out.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Certainly was avoidable unfortunately Cameron's recent attempt at a revised membership showed their appetite for serious reform and our lack of ability to influence at Europes top table.

That deal should have been the cornerstone of the remain campaign and a show of strength to our electorate that their concerns can be heard and addressed in Europe. It speaks volumes that this deal was barely mentioned behind the scaremongering

The EU needs reform whether it chooses to acknowledge this remains to be seen and if they do not I can see this being the start of a few other exits

The sad fact is if we could have achieved some stronger assurances over increased immigration control a revised membership would have won at a canter

Good points, but you are really trying to evolve an EU without its political aspirations, it was never going to happen, thus the referendum and exit.

What will happen now, I suspect an unravelling, other referendum and it will finally die and become something of a looser association of European countries, probably lead by us !!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here