Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Morgan Stanley begins move away from London

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
Do tell us when you lose your job. I wouldn't want to miss out on a smug "Oh well, cheerio" kind of post at your expense.

Didn't see you complain when ford shut their plant in Portsmouth and moved to Turkey using British tax payers money resulting in the loss of thousands of jobs.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Moving jobs not necessarily the people who do those jobs.

"So we've moved your role to Frankfurt. You can either move or you can quit. What's that? What sort of relocation package are we offering? I'll say it again: you can move or you can quit."

So move-you lot like Europe more than Great Britain!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Are you a moron*?

Whatever you think of the individual people / roles in question, these are highly paid people, paying hefty taxes into the nation's coffers, to fund the services that you use.

*this is rhetorical question**

**That means you don't have to answer it.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It's been denied, and I'd be surprised if any jobs move yet. Business will be waiting to see how EU negotiations pan out.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
They are MOVING jobs,not losing jobs :dunce:

So what are the cleaners going to do now, how about the restaurants and cafes and other shops in the local area who will lose income, lost income = lost direct and indirect taxes and that's without the employees taxes on their earnings which another county is going to benefit from.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Don't see much of the spirit of reconciliation and the wish to move forward Together in your post,you sad loser.
Reconciliation? I'm just annoyed that someone thinks it's OK to sweep job losses aside as perfectly reasonable collateral damage. I have no real desire to reconcile with a moron like you anyway. To be clear, I wouldn't give you the steam off my piss.

Didn't see you complain when ford shut their plant in Portsmouth and moved to Turkey using British tax payers money resulting in the loss of thousands of jobs.
I didn't complain, but nor did I shrug and say "oh well" which is what you appear to be doing.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
So move-you lot like Europe more than Great Britain!

Give over.

The choice is: uproot your entire life including relationships, family, friends etc etc or lose your job.

It isn't about liking one place more than the other is it? Because a little over half the country voted for one thing over another a lot of people are at real risk of losing their livelihoods. Don't trivialise that. It's offensive and unnecessary.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
It's been denied, and I'd be surprised if any jobs move yet. Business will be waiting to see how EU negotiations pan out.

Don't be absurd talking some sense. The financial sector in London will be a ghost town by next week. We all know it.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Anyone with half a brain will know that American financial organisations like Morgan Stanley will likely move their UK operations into the EU as soon as possible. Financial markets hate the unknown, ok it increases liquidity, but also raises risk. Those firms who aren't UK based, will simply relocate into the EU to ensure that period of stability, whilst we run around like headless chickens for the next 2 years.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not cool.

2 lots of job losses don't cancel each other out.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
No they didnt, Gordon Brown and his raid on tax relief did that.

If it wasn't for Gordon Brown and Alistair Darling, the cashpoints would have run dry during the financial crisis and the banks would have pretty much brought about the end of civilisation as we know it. Everybody else in power in the western world, including the US, was paralysed with inaction until they took the lead.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Indeed, all multinationals will have plans in place including that major local employer....

I know one person who works there, email has gone round saying that they are evaluating the situation. It may come to nothing but when it's your livelihood the 1% chance of the office moving abroad provokes butterflies.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
We are still in the EU you silly billy.

But, you have voted to leave the EU, so therefore the future guarantee of freedom of movement and freedom for work is now up for negotiation. Those negotiations will be two-way as well. Other EU nations will be trying to strike the best deal for their citizens much as we will be fighting for the best deal for ours. So, whilst there's uncertainty, there's no guarantee that people will move with jobs. I'd point out that Morgan Stanley has not moved any jobs, but were they to do so there would be no guarantee at this stage that the people would move with those jobs.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The first, but will certainly not be the last. There are people worse off than Morgan Stanley employees, but, like them or loathe them, financial services companies employ lots and lots of people and pay a hefty amount of tax. London is going to come under real pressure as a financial centre and jobs will go.

Banking industry taxation is a huge loss to the treasury which is why everything will cost more

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here