Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Jeremy Corbyn thread

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Corbyn is the most ineffective Labour leader i have ever witnessed. He needs to stand down if Labour are to ever have a sniff of power again.

Labour's problem is the party is seriously devoid of leadership talent. Perhaps their only hope is to woo back David Milliband, persuade Umunna to stand or find someone up and coming within the rank and file.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Corbyn is the most ineffective Labour leader i have ever witnessed. He needs to stand down if Labour are to ever have a sniff of power again.

Labour's problem is the party is seriously devoid of leadership talent. Perhaps their only hope is to woo back David Milliband, persuade Umunna to stand or find someone up and coming within the rank and file.

The last thing the country needs is a Miliband anywhere near a leaders job

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
But he already has been operating there ... despite the lack of support.

Put it another way, how can party leaders operate without the support of 70% of the members? Trying to oust him would lose huge swaths of grass-root support

It's a very difficult situation, one entirely made by Labour. The right thing to so would be for Corbyn to resign this weekend but i fear he's now like a cornered animal who will come out fighting despite the fact that he cannot possibly win and will take down the rest of the herd with him. As it is, he's barely been operating at Westminster but at least there has been some effort of party unity in the face of the Tories. But a formal vote of no confidence, carried with a substantial majority, would make Corbyn even more of a lame duck leader than he already is.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Corbyn is on borrowed time, he always was even before the referendum, now there's a good reason the knives are out in his own party.

Tories are split, Labour are scenting blood , they need a credible leader to compete at the next GE.

Who knows it could be called sooner than expected.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If only they had someone young, like say 42, a woman perhaps - someone untainted, with the common touch and able to bring people together, someone who could appeal to ethnic voters and Labour diehards alike...

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
If only they had someone young, like say 42, a woman perhaps - someone untainted, with the common touch and able to bring people together, someone who could appeal to ethnic voters and Labour diehards alike...

:laugh:

Diana-Abbott-008.jpg

......yes I know she's 62.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Who knows it could be called sooner than expected.

As I pointed out in another thread, the next election is in 2020, it would require some freak circumstance for there to be one much before then

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As I pointed out in another thread, the next election is in 2020, it would require some freak circumstance for there to be one much before then

I would imagine a change in leadership of the two main political parties, exit from the EU, and Scotland putting up for a referendum again - would constitute some pretty fundamental freak circumstances for a GE! General Elections have been called for a lot less...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I would imagine a change in leadership of the two main political parties, exit from the EU, and Scotland putting up for a referendum again - would constitute some pretty fundamental freak circumstances for a GE! General Elections have been called for a lot less...

(sigh). To repeat myself. Under the terms of the FTPA, the next general election is in 2020. The only circumstances in which an election can be called are a) a vote of no confidence in a government and b) a call by two-thirds of MPs for parliament to be dissolved.

I would find it highly unlikely that a new PM could face a vote of no confidence within 18 months (at least) so I think we can rule that out. And for b to happen, there would need to be support from Labour. I can't see them wanting it, Corbyn (as he's clearly not going to go) wants to push through his changes to the constitution first. I do think he'll resign after that but will want to see his successor bedded in first.

The only thing that could affect that is if Scotland get their referendum and vote to leave - that could trigger a GE but, again, not for two or three years

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That person doesn't and never exists or existed, just people buying into something that was never there

"Just people buying into something that was never there" - what exactly do you mean by that?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This. The party had an election only eight months ago, the winner had one of the biggest majorities a party leader has ever got, rejecting firmly the Oxbridge-educated metropolitan elitists. Why would it be any different this time?

If the no confidence motion is passed, all Corbyn should do is say that he was elected by the members and they're the ones who can kick him out - the PLP has no authority in this

Probably because Corbyn is unelectable as a Prime Minister. He became a party leader on the back of only 251,000 labour members. The middle ground, which any party wishing to govern, has to win over, see him as too far to the left and his performance during the referendum probably did more harm than good to Remain camp. His failure to rally the labour vote was quite crucial and I suspect, quite deliberate!

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I actually think Pavilionaire's post raises an interesting suggestion.

It won't happen, but I think Labour should seriously consider looking at fast-tracking somebody from their 2015 intake. That way the person that comes in is fresh and is not intoxicated by the Tony Blair and Gordon Brown eras which are damaging the party so badly because they weren't serving under them at the time.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Traditional red v blue politics has ended up with them all on the same side!!

I've been thinking for the last half an hour about how there isn't any political party that represents me, or pretty-much anyone I know, and I'm sure goes for a lot of the Remain side - 48%, not a small minority. We're generally college-educated, metropolitan, believe in fairness, against benefit cheats, anti-war, pro-investment in public services, well-travelled, strong belief in human rights, compassionate, pro-LGBT, pro-European integration, have strong environmental values - and I don't know where we exactly fit anymore. There's always been a compassionate conservative wing where some were comfortable, New Labour was a home for most of us until we went to war, then the libdems were attractive until they sold out. Green's have benefited - but if we want to be in power, set the agenda, where the hell do we go right now?

We've never really had a home, and now today is as bad as it gets

In other words, Guardianistas with ideals that their cozy "metropolitan" lifestyles demand of them.

Property owning I suspect and probably doesn't know what an in work benefit even is, perhaps because you're too busy being so "well travelled"? 'Aspirational' of course too no doubt with your fancy "college" education. Oh you poor thing, there's no party representing you.

If you want to talk about no party representing you then you should try walking in the shoes of the working poor for a bit and see how represented you feel.

Those with nothing to lose voted for change yesterday. If Corbyn had stuck with his principles and done the same then we might just be waking up to a very different political landscape today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here