Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Jeremy Corbyn thread

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Jeremy Corbyn would use the 100s of billions of pounds earmarked for pointless nuclear weapons to pay for his programme. I would be in favour of that but I know it is not going to happen.

"How will it all be paid for?" is the most fundamental question in political planning. The Labour manifesto at the next election will be fully costed and viable to deliver. McDonnell's ideas about an "entrepreneurial state" are modern and exciting.

interesting, because the official Labour policy is to renew Trident. the "how it will be paid for" is being answered by "borrow lots of money". there is nothing from McDonnell on how this will be paid for, assuming there is unspecified tax rises in the future to cover the £250bn and all the other as yet undeclared spending that will be borrowed.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
(Not going to spend much time on NSC today ... :)).

If only

Keeping it simple.

People on the left advocate a society where opportunity is more fairly distributed. They have a viable proposal for how to deliver this. It includes provision of high quality state education based on decades of sustained high investment and development of a coherent system based on equality of opportunity for all.

Thanks to the Tories this fairer society and more equal education system is periodically set back a couple of decades either by underfunding or elitist dogma. We currently find ourselves nowhere near the state education system advocated by the left - and this is thanks to the Tories. Why should the children of Labour MPs pay the price for Tory incompetence? I am perfectly happy for my Labour MP's children to attend the best school available to them under the current system - provided that MP continues to fight tooth and claw for change in that system to the future benefit of all.

Please sir, can I have my cake and eat it?

And finally - once again - it is extremely revealing that Tories spend so much time focused on this personalised stuff at the moment. Why aren't you talking about the Tories' record on education and their future plans...?

There he goes, the man with a chip on as many shoulders as he can find, bye!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Blimey, a green post. Labour promise the world and we end up paying for it. I feel another massive debt if the Labour lot get in.

Bloody Labour are always getting us into debt.

debt 1692.png

debt 93-2015.png

We should live within our means and save up if we want to buy nice things like all the other countries do.

Global debt.png

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
interesting, because the official Labour policy is to renew Trident. the "how it will be paid for" is being answered by "borrow lots of money". there is nothing from McDonnell on how this will be paid for, assuming there is unspecified tax rises in the future to cover the £250bn and all the other as yet undeclared spending that will be borrowed.

I agree Beorthelm.
Huge borrowings ,huge tax rises, huge inflation, huge misery.....................and deep shit.
Thank God they will never have power.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
You could not make this up. Abbott has just said on TV that if her son was young again he would absolutely send him to state school because schools are much better now. No selective private school her her kids if she has any. She is a complete liar in my view. The news also went through labour inner circle who send their kids to private school or selective schools whilst against grammer schools (for other people, not themselves). Lord falconer kids to private schools (but ok as he said it wasnt a grammer school). Shamus mills kids to grammar schools. Emily thornbury sent them to a selective school. Shami Chatribati kid apparently applying to Easton. They are just nasty hypocrites

The irony of Abbott's comments:- In 2003 after 6 years of Labour rule, state schools were not good enough for her son, so she sent him private. Now in 2016 after 6 years of Tory rule state schools would appear to her to be much better now and she would....she twists and turns like a twisty turny thing.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
I doubt May wants one. Why not wait and beat Corbyn in a few years and get to be in power even longer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I doubt May wants one. Why not wait and beat Corbyn in a few years and get to be in power even longer?

Because they are so far a head they could get themselves a much better working majority in the house and therefore not have to rely on 'dissident' tories to push through legislation. If they wait, there is the possibility they could **** up somewhere or the economy takes a downward turn and they get the blame for that. Best example is Brown. He dithered about calling an election when they were ahead, economy crashed, he got the blame and that could have been the last labour government we'll see for a very long time!

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Because they are so far a head they could get themselves a much better working majority in the house and therefore not have to rely on 'dissident' tories to push through legislation. If they wait, there is the possibility they could **** up somewhere or the economy takes a downward turn and they get the blame for that. Best example is Brown. He dithered about calling an election when they were ahead, economy crashed, he got the blame and that could have been the last labour government we'll see for a very long time!

I am aware of that, but Corbyn isn't going to start being electable and he is there to stay. It is rare, though, for the party of government to increase their majority in the house.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Hold it,May as i understand can't call an election as it,s a fixed term parliament,however i do believe it,s not set in stone ?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Yes, fully agree with all that you post. It must be very tempting for the PM to call an election, knowing that she is likely to win handsomely. Whilst I have no desire to see Corbyn and his luvvies anywhere near Number 10, or 11, god forbid, something in me hopes that Mrs May will not call an election so soon. This would be a cynical move, rather than in the interests of the country. Of course she wishes to see her party in continued power, and would say that keeping Corbyn out WAS in the country's interests, but not this way.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I hope he going to have a go at his Russians friends for shooting down a civilian Dutch Airline. He wants us not to able to defend ourselves what's he's saying lets all be friends What a joke.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
The constituency border changes and the loss of Scotland will ensure Labour remain in the shadow of the Tories for many years. Do you see what I did there?

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Hold it,May as i understand can't call an election as it,s a fixed term parliament,however i do believe it,s not set in stone ?
Needs vote no confidence in government
Or
2/3 to vote for early election

Tories won't vote for 1. Labour voting for 2 would be like turkeys voting for early Christmas.
Can't see it happening.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Needs vote no confidence in government
Or
2/3 to vote for early election

Tories won't vote for 1. Labour voting for 2 would be like turkeys voting for early Christmas.
Can't see it happening.
Neither can I. And hasn't May said we'll have Brexit before an election anyway? - no election, no second referendum.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Controversial this but . . . . Corbyn has more housewife and white van appeal than Maggie May . . . .its all about body language. Corby has seduced several signoritas, and has the X factor in spades compared with dreary harridan head girl gone shrivelled, Maggie. Bring Back Grammar Schools in a hesitant Brexit, versus Increase the Minimum Wage. Its a no brainer. Corby wins. **** the economy.Prepare for Power. Election next week. Bring it ON!!!!

And then I woke up from my afternoon nap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here