Page 4 of 309 FirstFirst 12345671454104 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 3087
  1. #31
    Stupid IDIOT Ernest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    LOONEY BIN
    Posts
    38,212


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ROSM View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Burnham will go for mayor of Manchester. He will unlikely stand a third time. Yvette cooper performed well in the referendum I thought and isn't it time the labour party had a female leader?
    Still waiting for the lovely Yvette who of course is Mrs Balls so has no chance of being acceptable to the electorate to take in her refugees

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #32

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernest View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I wouldn't be surprised if Andy Burnham tried again, a lot more acceptable to the general public after the Hillsborough inquest.
      He's lost twice already- both times by a comfortable margin! Hillsborough ain't gonna change that.

      The next Labour leader needs to somehow embrace the anti-immigration feeling that their core supporters clearly have. That leader will have to work with Brexit too and reclaim the votes UKIP has taken from them, as well as appealing to disaffected Lib Dems whose party has vanished.

      There is no candidate who could accomplish all of that without backtracking on their REMAIN credentials - none of the Labour Leave MPs are credible leadership candidates.

      If Scotland leaves the UK in a second referendum then both Labour and Lib Dems might be better off creating a "Democrats / Whigs / SDP"-style left of centre party with a new agenda, away from the old party ties. I really think it is that bad for both parties that they'll have to consider taking this step.
      "Intercluderent aut mori"
    • #33
      Stupid IDIOT Ernest's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2003
      Location
      LOONEY BIN
      Posts
      38,212


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln Imp View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Benn, Umana, etc don't have much of a career ahead of them as members of an unelectable party - better to take a deep breath, form a grand alliance with the pro-EU centrist wing of the Conservative Party (who also won't have much of a career ahead of them when the Fat Philanderer takes over), force a general election and fight it on a Stop the Negotiations ticket. Wait a few months for the economic disasters of 23 June to start biting and, who knows.
      I was saying a few weeks ago if it was an exit vote then the traditional Tory v Labour 2 party battle is over, as you say the pro Europe Tories and the New Labour may indeed form a centre coalition whilst the Leave part of the Tories and the Left wing of the Labour do their own thing, UKIP are stronger than ever now as well as other protest parties may start to pop up.

      Interesting times ahead.
    • #34
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Location
      Coldean
      Posts
      5,320


      0 Not allowed!
    • #35
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Uffern
      Posts
      22,813


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Postman Pat View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      We all knew that though. It's totally meaningless, it has no clout.

      I agree with Ernest and Lincoln Imp, the future has to be a new centrist party. Corbyn is not going to lose an election of the members and the centre are going to feel more and more uncomfortable, time to go and start anew, And there are going to be pro-EU Tories increasingly unhappy with their party, ready to join them.

      It's going to be fun ....
    • #36
      Members Kalimantan Gull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2003
      Location
      Central Borneo / the Lizard
      Posts
      7,393


      7 Not allowed!
      Traditional red v blue politics has ended up with them all on the same side!!

      I've been thinking for the last half an hour about how there isn't any political party that represents me, or pretty-much anyone I know, and I'm sure goes for a lot of the Remain side - 48%, not a small minority. We're generally college-educated, metropolitan, believe in fairness, against benefit cheats, anti-war, pro-investment in public services, well-travelled, strong belief in human rights, compassionate, pro-LGBT, pro-European integration, have strong environmental values - and I don't know where we exactly fit anymore. There's always been a compassionate conservative wing where some were comfortable, New Labour was a home for most of us until we went to war, then the libdems were attractive until they sold out. Green's have benefited - but if we want to be in power, set the agenda, where the hell do we go right now?

      We've never really had a home, and now today is as bad as it gets
    • #37

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Simster View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Maybe Chuka is a poor alternative, said in the heat of the moment. But for me, Labour are a total disaster with Corbyn running them. They need to re-take the centre ground, and fast.
      I'd vote Labour with Frank Field at the helm .
    • #38
      Members
      Join Date
      Feb 2015
      Posts
      410


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Kalimantan Gull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Traditional red v blue politics has ended up with them all on the same side!!

      I've been thinking for the last half an hour about how there isn't any political party that represents me, or pretty-much anyone I know, and I'm sure goes for a lot of the Remain side - 48%, not a small minority. We're generally college-educated, metropolitan, believe in fairness, against benefit cheats, anti-war, pro-investment in public services, well-travelled, strong belief in human rights, compassionate, pro-LGBT, pro-European integration, have strong environmental values - and I don't know where we exactly fit anymore. There's always been a compassionate conservative wing where some were comfortable, New Labour was a home for most of us until we went to war, then the libdems were attractive until they sold out. Green's have benefited - but if we want to be in power, set the agenda, where the hell do we go right now?

      We've never really had a home, and now today is as bad as it gets
      Absolutely where I am at moment. It's a mess.
    • #39
      Members
      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Posts
      3,471


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by ROSM View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Burnham will go for mayor of Manchester. He will unlikely stand a third time. Yvette cooper performed well in the referendum I thought and isn't it time the labour party had a female leader?
      Tory supporter here.
      I know she threw her hat in the ring last time and had little support, but I like Liz Kendall. She usually talks a lot of sense, is intelligent, feisty, and dare I say it, looks good in the media.
      Perhaps her time has not yet come for the leadership, but I would certainly like to see her in a senior position in a good strong effective Opposition.
    • #40
      Members
      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Posts
      3,471


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by alfredmizen View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I'd vote Labour with Frank Field at the helm .
      May make a good interim leader, if required.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •