Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Jeremy Corbyn thread

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
You actually fail to grasp intellectually how divided and chaotic the Tories are on Europe and how it could rip them apart at any moment, as it has done in recent history. Granted they have the best PR in the business both paid and paid by press proprietors but you got to look past that.

As for the Pollyanna ish vision of no economic disruption as we tear up every trade deal going, give me a break. The lie to justify this will have to be massive.

And I'll give you the same challenge - what's your plan to stop hard Brexit? Or have you swallowed so much of the May propaganda that you now think it's a wonderful idea?

It's an interesting idea that there needs to be a plan to stop a hard Brexit. Leaving the Tory Single Market (hard Brexit) was what I was hoping for when I cast my vote. Sounds to me like you go along with Ted Heath/Margaret Thatcher/John Major Single market propoganda which is of course your choice. There's no need for aggression when confronted with the opposing view.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...Sounds to me like you go along with Ted Heath/Margaret Thatcher/John Major Single market propoganda which is of course your choice.

dont be silly now, the Conservative single market, freedom of movement or labour and capital is completely different from the Labour single market, freedom of movement or labour and capital.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I wouldn't vote for Corbyn in any further leadership election, there needs to be a leader who has authority and can actually lead. The experiment has failed at great costs to people's lives

EnRest I think your account has been hijacked, quick deny this as slanderous

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I wouldn't vote for Corbyn in any further leadership election, there needs to be a leader who has authority and can actually lead. The experiment has failed at great costs to people's lives

Red Tory defeatism comrade .. your name is now on the LIST.

Seriously though better late than never I suppose.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

My sentiments as well comrade. Keep the red flag flying though.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Nuttall failed to turn up to a hustings and his personal website has been taken down. Wonder how long until there's another UKIP leadership election.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Nuttall failed to turn up to a hustings and his personal website has been taken down. Wonder how long until there's another UKIP leadership election.

Somehow UKIP have taken Labour's 'Worst Leader in British Politics' title.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I voted for Corbyn as leader (twice). I hoped he would bring something fresh whilst being a strong Leader of the Opposition and hold a rather weak and fractured Tory Government to account. While I still like him and his style I think he's somewhat ineffective and not doing a great job.
To be electable (let alone actually get elected) the leader needs to have charisma and appeal; Blair had it, Cameron had it, even Thatcher, for all her sins, had it. Brown and Milliband didn't, nor did Hague, Duncan-Smith or Howard. Sadly Corbyn doesn't have it.
The problem is that there's not a natural leader-in-waiting; I get the feeling that, like Boris Johnson, some of Labour's potential heavyweights (Clive Lewis, Dan Jarvis to name a couple) are holding on until after the 2020 election. They want to see what the fallout from Brexit is and where we are economically before making a push for leader.
Of course, were Corbyn to fall on his sword it might force some of those waiting to put themselves forward.
In my view, though, the next Labour leader has to be someone who isn't considered as a "Westminsterite"; if we've learned anything from the Brexit referendum it's that some Labour voters in the regions feel alienated and left behind by the London elite.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
...In my view, though, the next Labour leader has to be someone who isn't considered as a "Westminsterite"; if we've learned anything from the Brexit referendum it's that some Labour voters in the regions feel alienated and left behind by the London elite.

Will Tony Blair throwing his political dog back into the fight be helpful in this or just resurrect the old PLP v Corbyn problems?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Well ignoring the fact that Tony Blair is politically toxic he would never get voted in by the membership.

Indeed.. but there are still quite a lot of 'New Labour' MPs who are desperate for some sort of an escape from their nightmare. Some of them might be stupid enough to rally behind the Blair cause?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I voted for Corbyn as leader (twice). I hoped he would bring something fresh whilst being a strong Leader of the Opposition and hold a rather weak and fractured Tory Government to account. While I still like him and his style I think he's somewhat ineffective and not doing a great job.
To be electable (let alone actually get elected) the leader needs to have charisma and appeal; Blair had it, Cameron had it, even Thatcher, for all her sins, had it. Brown and Milliband didn't, nor did Hague, Duncan-Smith or Howard. Sadly Corbyn doesn't have it.
The problem is that there's not a natural leader-in-waiting; I get the feeling that, like Boris Johnson, some of Labour's potential heavyweights (Clive Lewis, Dan Jarvis to name a couple) are holding on until after the 2020 election. They want to see what the fallout from Brexit is and where we are economically before making a push for leader.
Of course, were Corbyn to fall on his sword it might force some of those waiting to put themselves forward.
In my view, though, the next Labour leader has to be someone who isn't considered as a "Westminsterite"; if we've learned anything from the Brexit referendum it's that some Labour voters in the regions feel alienated and left behind by the London elite.

always thought that JC was paving the way for a younger thrusting leader...........................but who?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
always thought that JC was paving the way for a younger thrusting leader...........................but who?

Tom Watson
Keir Starmer
Dan Jarvis
Rebecca Long-Bailey
Clive Lewes
Lisa Nandy
Hilary Benn

Out of that lot, the only person who I think the current membership would get behind is Clive Lewes, I think Keir Starmer has performed better - both completely inexperienced at the moment.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

Nah, paving the way for a Labour decimation at the next election followed by another term of Tory's doing whatever they want unopposed while Labour rebuilds itself (or tears itself into oblivion). Corbyn as leader isn't going to make Labour electable ... quite the opposite, I think: while he's enjoyed strong support within Labour membership ranks, I don't believe he enjoys anywhere near the same support in the wider electorate of non-members. And, unfortunately, Corbyn seems more interested in hanging on to the leadership at all costs (because democracy) rather than doing what would be best for the party as a whole (including the members who want to see a Labour government sometime soon) and voluntarily vacating so someone more electable can take over.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Nah, paving the way for a Labour decimation at the next election followed by another term of Tory's doing whatever they want unopposed while Labour rebuilds itself (or tears itself into oblivion). Corbyn as leader isn't going to make Labour electable ... quite the opposite, I think: while he's enjoyed strong support within Labour membership ranks, I don't believe he enjoys anywhere near the same support in the wider electorate of non-members. And, unfortunately, Corbyn seems more interested in hanging on to the leadership at all costs (because democracy) rather than doing what would be best for the party as a whole (including the members who want to see a Labour government sometime soon) and voluntarily vacating so someone more electable can take over.

Having gained power within the Labour party beyond their wildest dreams and as a result of the miscalculations and mistakes by the centre, the left will never willingly relinquish power. Corbyn is a figurehead leader, the real drive and power lies with the puppeteers - people like McDonnell, McCluskey and Lansman. The Labour party membership which keeps the left in power now consists, in the main, of students, doctrinaire idealists and ageing lefties. The party has to split and reform into a centerist party and a left wing rump. It's the only way forward.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
More chaos for Corbyn...

[tweet]832592349939240960[/tweet]

Politico Daily [MENTION=17731]politico[/MENTION]_Daily
Evening Standard reporting Simon Fletcher, senior Labour strategist & aide to Jeremy Corbyn has resigned over lack of direction of the party

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here