Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Jeremy Corbyn thread

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Also, can anyone tell me what Seamus Milne is being paid for?

His job title is 'strategy and communication.'

Strategy seems to have evolved from 'Tory-lite' to keep your fingers crossed and hope that there's a massive recession so the Tories get a kicking in 2020
Communicating coherently beyond Corbyn's facebook and twitter followers appears to be impossible.

He was hired to be a ****, for a bunch of useless ***** to make a bunch of gullible ***** from thinking he's something special

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
If you were able to look further than your bias, you will find that they are not the only ones -Mrs Abbott and Mr Corbyn should be able to help you on that score.
Oh please.... not this again.

Not everyone on the left of politics has to be poor and disadvantaged themselves.
In the UK, to be an MP is to be well paid and socially advantaged.
Labour politicians and others on the left do not all set out to find the worst possible available school for their children - just to satisfy a certain type of Tory (who knows that their own brand of politics can be merrily pursued without any concern for social justice).

None of this is important in substantive arguments about education policy.

Unless you are so defensive about said education policy that you can only divert attention away from the substance.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Oh please.... not this again.

Not everyone on the left of politics has to be poor and disadvantaged themselves.
Labour politicians and others on the left do not all set out to find the worst possible available school for their children - just to satisfy a certain type of Tory (who knows that their own brand of politics can be merrily pursued without any concern for social justice).

Unless you are so defensive about said education policy that you can only divert attention away from the substance.

I would buy that argument if the Labour politicians in question had a firm commitment to the abolition of all private, free and grammar schools should they come to power... and a policy to replace them with a fully state-funded alternative offering the highest academic opportunities to all.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
That's the media doing what they do isn't it, they've decided how they want Corbyn to be perceived and that's what they're sticking to. I don't believe for a second that any great number of people watched that and thought hang on, why isn't Corbyn asking about the NI u-turn? Shows you how easily led people are. It also shows you that the media have a very fixed idea on how PMQs should work, and Corbyn doesn't dance to that tune so.....

To be fair, whilst I the basis accept the basis of your point about the nasty mainstream media, I actually think a lot of people did think that today. It was obvious that the Tories timed the release of the information to catch Labour off guard but I would have hoped it was an eventuality that they had prepared for. Sadly it appears that they hadn't. Strategy really isn't the current administration's strong point.

Once again Angus Robertson had Theresa May hotter under the collar in 2 questions than Corbyn did in 6. He shows me that she really isn't all that great at it which makes Corbyn's unfocused, scattergun approach all the more frustrating.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I would buy that argument if the Labour politicians in question had a firm commitment to the abolition of all private, free and grammar schools should they come to power... and a policy to replace them with a fully state-funded alternative offering the highest academic opportunities to all.
You demand a completely loony and undeliverable election pledge that would expensively dismantle hundreds of years of tradition in UK education and then in the next breath you will happily criticise Corbyn for being too idealistic...! :)

AFAIK Labour do not currently have a policy of abolition for existing types of schools. But they sure as hell do not plan further disadvantage for the majority thanks to gung-ho expansion of those elements of the system that are demonstrably the least just.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Moshe Gariani;7844742[B said:
]Oh please.... not this again.[/B]

What a strange response -you were the one that brought the issue up! Of course being an MP is to be socially advantaged, and they are well paid, and neither have suggested that those on the left have to be poor. But it would help their credibility if they did not want comprehensive education for everybody else's children. I am further not suggesting that this is important in substantive arguments - You did !

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Mods please change the title of this to 'Time for May to GO'. Unelected with no public mandate, up to her ears in electoral fraud allegations and her chancellor an INCOMPETENT buffoon
Feel free to start your own thread. In the meantime, keep this one for Jezza.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
What a strange response -you were the one that brought the issue up! Of course being an MP is to be socially advantaged, and they are well paid, and neither have suggested that those on the left have to be poor. But it would help their credibility if they did not want comprehensive education for everybody else's children. I am further not suggesting that this is important in substantive arguments - You did !
You took a reference to the motives and values behind education policy voted for by Tories and responded by talking about Labour individuals.

I wonder why...?

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using Tapatalk

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
You took a reference to the motives and values behind education policy voted for by Tories and responded by talking about Labour individuals.

I wonder why...?

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using Tapatalk

Probably best if you don't wonder, as you have the wrong end of the stick. I commented on another post who voiced his bias by quite clearly implying that only the tories use private education etc by responding that they are not the only ones. No more no less.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Probably best if you don't wonder, as you have the wrong end of the stick. I commented on another post who voiced his bias by quite clearly implying that only the tories use private education etc by responding that they are not the only ones. No more no less.
Top squirming and misrepresenting.

Change "Tories" to "the Tories" to make my original comment seem somehow personalised to MPs and then use "private education etc" to also subtly shift emphasis away from May's scandalous free schools and grammar schools policy.

Whatever makes you happy!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
To be fair, whilst I the basis accept the basis of your point about the nasty mainstream media, I actually think a lot of people did think that today. It was obvious that the Tories timed the release of the information to catch Labour off guard but I would have hoped it was an eventuality that they had prepared for. Sadly it appears that they hadn't. Strategy really isn't the current administration's strong point.

Once again Angus Robertson had Theresa May hotter under the collar in 2 questions than Corbyn did in 6. He shows me that she really isn't all that great at it which makes Corbyn's unfocused, scattergun approach all the more frustrating.

I'm sure some did think that, not sure 'a lot' but who knows! I guess my issue here is 2 fold. The second of which is that the immature point scoring nature of PMQs has become accepted as the norm. Don't get me wrong, the sight of a smug Tory getting hot under the collar is something to behold but I admire Corbyn's slightly more measured and modern approach.

In fairness, if Corbyn is that bad, May must be terrible as he's (under the 'rules' of PMQs) got the better of her on many. occasions.....

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Tom Watson calls on Jeremy Corbyn to 'deal with' Momentum's union plot to 'destroy' the Labour Party

Labour has descended into civil war after its deputy leader called on Jeremy Corbyn to "deal with" supporters who are plotting to take control of the party by joining forces with his union backers....

Jon Lansman, the leader of the Momentum campaign group which backs Mr Corbyn, was secretly recorded revealing that it plans to officially link with the Unite union.

Tom Watson, Labour’s deputy leader, told the BBC's Radio 4 Today programme this was now a "battle for the future existence" of the party.

He said: "[On the recording] Jon Lansman outlined a hard left plan to control the Labour party after Jeremy’s departure. There was also a plan to organise, to take control of the Labour party.

"Indeed, he actually said the plan was more important than the election ....

"I regard this as a battle for the future existence of the Labour party. This is high stakes, and I hope my fellow members are going to understand that, and our leader. I hope [Corbyn] is going to deal with Jon Lansman."

"I’m afraid there are some people who do not have our electoral interests at their heart and that’s why I’m speaking out now.

"They organised for him, but I'm not sure if Jeremy knows there's a secret plan. I'll be raising it with him today. I'm going to talk to him about it, I don't know what he knows and doesn't know.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...gn-group-momentum-accused-union-plot-destroy/

Good grief lucky there isn't a need for a competent, focused official opposition at the moment .... :facepalm:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Budget chaos, BREXIT uncertainty, Scottish indyref2 crisis, social care challenges... all playing into Jezza's hands:

ICM/Guardian Westminster VI (17-19 Mar):

CON 45% (+1)
LAB 26% (-2)
UKIP 10% (-1)
LD 9% (+1)
GRN 4% (-1)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i cant take that poll seriously anymore: how can Conservatives really not have lost ground since the Budget?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Budget chaos, BREXIT uncertainty, Scottish indyref2 crisis, social care challenges... all playing into Jezza's hands:

ICM/Guardian Westminster VI (17-19 Mar):

CON 45% (+1)
LAB 26% (-2)
UKIP 10% (-1)
LD 9% (+1)
GRN 4% (-1)

Just the 19% behind then, I'm sure Enrest will be on here shortly explaining how Labour will SURGE past the Tories in the next few months...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here